Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 3 May 2023

Herefordshire 2023 Visit 2 - Part 4 Queenswood Arboretum

 


On Wednesday 19th April we stayed local and just popped to Queenswood Arboretum in the afternoon for a walk.

We went about an hour later that planned as I'd mislaid my caravan keys and the fob to lift the barrier at the site. After turning the car and caravan and every bag upside down and inside out I eventually found them in the lining of my coat - they'd slipped through a hole in the pocket!!!!









We saw blossom in flower on many trees.









I'd lingered to take photos of the blossom and wild flowers and by the time I walked on B and D had completely disappeared from view. I knew they were heading for the viewpoint so I tried to make my way there.

















I found the viewpoint - no sign of them! A photo of the misty murky view - you can see Bodenham Lakes in the photo another Herefordshire Wildlife Trust Reserve. I like it there a lot but for some reason B is not keen.



There were plants flowering everywhere and carpets of Primroses and Wood Anemones

Dog's Mercury



Violets




Primroses





Wood Anemones



Lady's Smock or Cuckoo Flower and a few Lesser Celandine









Still no sign of B and D so I continued to follow the Gruffalo Trail as I knew it would eventually lead to the car park.















B and D finally appeared - they had missed the viewpoint as they followed the wrong trail!






The final post on this short break will be about our visit to the superb Goodrich Castle.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It looks lovely, seeing the signs of spring with all the wildflowers coming out in numbers at last! I hope you've mended that hole now!? Hello Timothy!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Its a nice wood that for wild flowers. Sadly, no not mended the hole yet!!!! But at least I know its there! Timothy waves back :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

I'm worried, that scary bear seems to be stalking you - this is what happens when mega fauna are released into the countryside 🥹

Rosie said...

Looks like a wonderful place to walk. Sounds like you had a bit of a 'lost and found' day what with the key and your fellow walkers taking the wrong route. Glad you reached the viewpoint with Timothy. There were lots of lovely wildflowers and blossom trees to take photos of:)

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thank you so much :)lol re: Timothy bear :) oh we both love the idea of re-wilding and introduction of lost predators in suitable areas :) The Gruffalo I would not wish to meet :)

Rosie - Thanks so much. Yes its a great place to go in the week when its quieter and only 20 minutes away! Gosh I was glad to find those keys I tell you!I was relieved to find that viewpoint as I am not so familiar with those woods as OH and D!

CherryPie said...

Timothy looks like he is having a lot of fun and he stayed behind with you as a companion in your adventure.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much.