Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 30 April 2023

Herefordshire 2023 Visit 2 - Part 3: Ludlow Town Centre

 

After the Ludlow Castle visit we spent an hour walking around the town centre.

The War Memorial was sculpted by Walenty Pytel - we have seen some of his other work in Weobley and Leominster.





Looking towards Dinham from the Castle entrance.




This house was rebuilt in 1656 after burning in the Civil War.








This house has a late Medieval range behind a Regency front.
























These lovely tiles were at the entrance to a sweet shop where I spent rather more than I should have done!



Sign of the 21st century!  Sorry Timothy may do selfies but I don't!



A narrow alley led to this rather lovely Quality Square which owes its name to Charles Foxe who built a large house here in 1580.  Born in 1516 in 1558 he became Secretair to the Council of Wales and the Marches.  Apparently he was a "bit of a lad" and was desribed as "unscrupulous" and a "highly successful if corrupt official".  He owned much property and land in and around Ludlow.





















D bought two tomato plants from this greengrocers.





The cheese shop had just shut 😬













This is the Butter Cross built 1743-46 to a design by William Baker.


















An old stamp vending machine next to the post box.

















When its not heaving with people I do like Ludlow - there are a lot of listed buildings and blue plaques and interesting independent shops. You could spend hours there and of course there is always St Laurence the lovely church which one day I will revisit.  Having bought two Logaston Press books in the Castle Gift Shop I resisted the temptation of the very good bookshop by the market.

As mentioned in the last post I would like to walk round the outside of the castle and down by the river is the Breadwalk which I believe has displays and information on fossils. So we will return.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


10 comments:

gz said...

Thankyou for the walkaround.
We have usually stopped in Ludlow on market day..a fine market, but you lose any chance of standing still and really looking at anything!

Ragged Robin said...

gz - Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. When my husband, daughter and I went a few years ago it was absolutely heaving with people - we only stayed half an hour and then went off to Mortimer Forest instead. We were so fortunate on this visit.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I'm just starting to check out blogs again and have missed a few of yours. Ludlow looks a very interesting town to visit, so much history contained there. Must try and visit sometime

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much - I hope you are recovering and feeling better. Ludlow is well worth a vist - a lot to see there and super church at St Laurence.

The Quacks of Life said...

cheers for that. its a pretty town isn't it :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much. Yes I love it there but sometimes it can be far too "peopley"!!!!!

Rosie said...

So many interesting buildings in Ludlow and it's good to be there when it isn't too busy which I think isn't very often. You had a great visit with both the castle and the town. The breadwalk by the river with fossils sounds interesting, I hope you get back to walk there soon:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I was amazed too at how quiet it was. Can only assume because not a market day. Missed the Heron's Cross Pottery Stall though i really want to buy a jug from there to use a vase at the caravan. There again better quiet :)

CherryPie said...

You just missed the cheese shop and we just missed the tea shop for afternoon cake.

We did manage to get to Ludlow food centre just in time for a cheeky cake :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie Thank you - its a pain! Not been to Ludlow Food Centre yet although drove past on our way to Stokesay last year.