Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 8 April 2023

First Herefordshire Visit 2023 - Part 2: St Leonard's Hatfield

 


After lunch on Monday I popped up the lane to the peaceful and tranquil churchyard of St Leonard's Hatfield.  As many of you will know I often wander round the church to see what is flowering as the rear of the churchyard is a "living churchyard" and good for flowers and insects.


The Old School House next to the church often has the Welsh flag flying a reminder that we are not that far from the border.



The grass verge was full of Lesser Celandine.






St Leonard's is old - it has a C11th chancel and the nave was extended in the C14th.



The open timber West Porch is partly C14th.






The churchyard was full of daffodils, primroses and a few white violets.
















Herringbone masonry.




I love this early Norman doorway with a lintel of 3 large joggled stones.  The tympanum shows Opus reticulatum (square stones set diagonally).






I didn't go inside the church this time but if you would like to see the interior please see St Leonard's Hatfield Interior






Just one final post on the trip which I'll do next week.

In the meantime wishing everyone a very Happy Easter.





All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone ever wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)


8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Happy Easter, Caroline!
It's always lovely to see all the springtime flowers opening up. Especially after the kind of winter weather we're getting these days. Promises of better days ahead. It all looks like a kind of starry galaxy in a sea of green.

Rosie said...

It's a beautiful church, especially with all the lesser celandines, primroses and daffodils in and around the churchyard. Happy Easter to you and your family:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - thanks so much and yes your descrption of a starry galaxy in a sea of green is very very apt.

Rosie - Thanks so much. Its a lovely churchyard for flowers.

The Wessex Reiver said...

What a wonderful church - I love the masonry infill and history. Odd little bell tower though - interesting. And I love celandines, even more so in the summer when you find the tiny tubers and think, next spring they'll bring so much joy.

CherryPie said...

The churchyard is looking lovely in the sunshine.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much. When I see that church I know we are back :) Its an interesting little church and I agree celandines do bring much so much joy.

CherryPie - Thank you - we were lucky with the weather but it was cold.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Well I dod miss this one, well no supprising as I was laid up in Hospital only geting ome afew days before Easter. Hope you had a good one with no hassle from |Next door. |We are hoping to go to ot caravan on Sunday

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thank you. I was so shocked to hear you were in ICU and relieved you are now out. Hope you recover fully soon and good news that you can get away to your caravan for a while. Builders turned up Good Friday - not supposed to work bank hols so I had a rant and they disappeared pretty quickly!!!