Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 25 April 2023

Herefordshire 2023 Visit 2 - Part 1: Hatfield

 

Thankfully and at long last the weather forecast looked better for last week so we went to Herefordshire on the Monday. It was raining when we left home but by the time we had reached Hatfield the sun had come out.  After unpacking and lunch we did the usual click and collect from Morrisons, Leominster.

The Herefordshire Oak showing signs of budburst - well almost!


I bought the gingerbread in Ludlow on the Tuesday - its always nice to try local produce I think.




I took the bat detector D bought me for my 70th birthday last December and a guide and a book on bats. We were lucky on the first evening as half an hour after sunset half a dozen bats were foraging around the caravans, along the hedge at the side of the caravan and the trees at the rear.  We set the bat detector as recommended at 45 kHz as that is within the range of quite a few bat species.  Bat species have a range of kHz that varies between species and there is usually a peak around a certain kHz.  We were getting clicks at 45 and right up to 95. Unfortunately I didn' get chance to try lower than 45 as the bats had moved on elsewhere.  It is possible there was more than one species as at one frequency one individual bat was not being heard.  If I can pick up sounds as low as 25 and up to 95 two possible species are Natterers or Brown Long-Eared Bat.

Unfortunately the bats then failed to appear (it was cold and very windy) again until the last evening when one appeared very briefly. But I am pleased with our first attempt and I was relieved to be able to hear the clicks as due to my poor hearing these days I can hear very few bird calls and songs for example. I am really looking forward to using the detector again as the weather gets warmer and we do occasionally get bat sightings at home too.  I have an idea for a country churchyard I could try as well.  




Timothy pleased to be back!



D bought me these lovely daffodils from Morrisons.



The book shelf :)  I am slowly building up a selection of books on Herefordshire and a few on Shropshire and Worcestershire plus I've taken from home some general wildlife guides. I have another 6 books elsewhere which I am yet to read so the box of condensed novels at the end of the shelf may have to be moved!




Trees at dusk




Another photo of the Herefordshire oak, plus a tree smothered in ivy which I really like and the final photo is a copse you can see from the dining table window.









On Tuesday D and I went to Ludlow to visit the castle and have a quick look round the town centre which I'll write about in the next two posts.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first thanks).


10 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

nice one on the bats!!!

Bovey Belle said...

Glad you had a good break. I am impressed by your bookshelf contents. I love that Ivy Tree. There used to be one we called that as children, but nothing special, just a tree smothered in ivy in a small copse where the gypsies camped sometimes.

Glad you heard some bats - hoping there will be more about next time.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Of course, it's good to try local produce, specially if it involves cake. You do have rather a good collection of books there. I think you're going to have a lot of fun with your bat detector. What is thoughtful and creative present that was? Lovely to see Timothy looking so happy again after his winter of high bear nation.

CherryPie said...

Your home from home is looking very cosy.

I love it when bats fly over my garden in summer months. They often get quite close to where I am sitting on the patio.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

My local pipistrelle has already shown his little furry body here! I have the Magenta Bat 4, rather than the 5 I think you have.

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete - I was chuffed.

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I'd already got some of the books and the others (quite a few second hand) I've bought over the last 3 years. Trees can often come to mean something special when you see them regularly and they are all so different :)

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I am really pleased with the bat detector as I've wanted for years. Timothy is so glad to be out and about again :)

CherryPie - Thanks so much. Its lovely to be able to go somewhere you have all the own things. Its fascinating watching bats swooping about :)

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thanks and glad to hear your have bats and a detector too :)

Caroline Gill said...

How exciting, RR, about the bats! I have been on two organised bat detecting events, one in the Brecon Beacons (sorry, perhaps I should say Bannau Brycheiniog) and the other in an old quarry in Northumberland. Both were magical evenings. We usually have a few bats here at home, but it has been pretty cold and I have yet to see any. Sadly a lot of the trees around us have been felled so they have less cover, too. Great to see Timothy ... and I see he is wisely staying wrapped up in his woolly! I'm so glad you have been able to get to Herefordshire. I'm hoping to have my next (CEV) Covid jab this afternoon ...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill- Thanks so much Caroline. I haven't seen bats at home yet this year. So glad you enjoyed your bat detecting evenings - they are rather magical. We went to several at Brandon Marsh NR when the kids were little and one at Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens also years ago! Thanks re: Timothy. Hope the next Covid jab goes ok - we did have a booster last autumn but I don't think we qualify for the one this Spring. It is stil a huge worry I fear even though so many people think its just gone away! I still have food shop delivered at home and don't go in many shops round here. For some unknown reason I've done far more going into places in Herefordshire than here! I still usually wear a mask but hardly anyone else does these days.

Millymollymandy said...

Wow, the bat detector sounds really interesting! I hope you won't be needing any of those general wildlife ID books when you are at home!

I thought you were 'friends' with Simon Douglas Thompson and I'm right as I see he has commented here. He commented recently on my blog, but for some reason I am completely unable to comment on his blog at all, not even as Anon. Maybe he has his set so only followers can comment? Could you be so kind as to mention this to him on his blog and also cut and paste this:

"Hi Simon, your Orange Tip photos are wonderful, and I enjoyed the post about the bees on the dandelions as well. Do you have a link to the info you were reading suggesting that dandelions were not such a great source of nectar (or was it pollen?) as I'm quite interested in that"

Thanks so much Caroline.
Mxx

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much - yes bat detector is fun!!! Don't worry I have shelves of wildlife and id books at home so I won't miss those at the caravan! :)