Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 22 April 2023

Recent Reading

 

We've had another break in Herefordshire mainly visiting castles but before I start the posts just a catch up on my latest reading (Note for Rosie - thanks so much for the offer and I've brought home the details about my paternal grandmother's family so I'll send you an email in a day or so if that is ok).

The book below was another bargain from Books Revisited and covers not just Georgian buildings in Coleshill but general topics such as different trades and jobs, crime and punishment, poverty, education, etc etc.


J M Dalgeish is a new author for me and I enjoyed this book immensely. Its good to read a series set in Norfolk and I've bought the next one.



I can't stop reading the Faith Martin books -  think it helps that I really like the chief character in the series ie DI Hillary Greene.



I enjoy these books more as the series is progressing although the ending was a bit far fetched again!




Another good book in this series although, unlike the Faith Martin books, I don't much like the main character in this set of books.




Another Cooper and Fry book and another good read.



Faith Martin again! I can't stop reading this series.



Another very interesting book by Logaston Press. It follows the life of Blanche Parry who was born in Herefordshire and served Queen Elizabeth I for many years as Blanche lived to the ripe old age of 82.  Blanche became Chief Gentle Woman of the Queen's Privy Chamber and the Keeper of her jewels. She was a presence in Queen Elizabeth's life for 56 years.  At some stage I must visit Bacton church in Herefordshire to see the memorial to Blanche which she designed herself and also the altar cloth which is believed to be a fragment of a dress worn by Queen Elizabeth I.



Posy of flowers for Easter picked from the garden.



I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


10 comments:

Rosie said...

Lots of interesting books. I seem to spend a lot of time reading at the moment. I've got a book ordered at the library by a new author to me LJ Ross, her books are set in Northumbria. It does help if you like some of the characters in a book series also the settings too. Fine about the family history, I hope I can find something for you. Your Easter posy is lovely. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I've been reading a lot more this winter too mainly because weather not been good for going out. I think I've heard of L J Ross. Hope the books are good. I've found I have to try new authors as I near the end of series or even finish them!!!! Thanks so much again re family history but as mentioned please don't spend loads of time on it as I know how time consuming it is. Take care too :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Loving the book recommendations. Withy history head on the two history books look interesting. I'm reading as much as I can these days in my favourite era 1750-1850. It's fascinating as modern Britain emerged. Of a different topic but do you know the books of Fred Archer and John Moore? Both wrote of the Evesham/Worcestershire area, farming and natural history.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much. My son loves the era you mention - he is studying it at the moment with the OU so I've given him the Georgian Coleshill book now I have finished it. I need to get away a bit from detective novels as sometimes I read that many that when I have finished them they tend to all blur into one!!!!

Not sure about Fred Archer so I will google (thanks for the suggestions). I do have a few John Moore books - I have a feeling you interested me in him many years ago. Must admit they are still in my tbr pile! We did visit the John Moore Museum in Tewkesbury which was absolutely brilliant and well worth a visit if you haven't been!

The Wessex Reiver said...

I've been to the Museum it's fascinating. I was thinking of Fred Archer yesterday driving through Evesham. It's where I bought my first book of his By Hook or By Crook. I'd say he's semi historical pseudo autobiographical about Brendon Hill and the area. Interesting your son is doing that course at the OU, I looked at something similar a couple of years ago, but don't have the time.... Yet. Your son may like this blog though https://reginajeffers.blog/

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks Andrew - I've been reading up on Fred Archer - books sound very promising. I'll try and read a John Moore when I have finished current non fiction book and then look into FA. Glad you have been to the museum.

My son wouldn't have had time to study it at work either. He was a journalist but tbh got fed up with the way journalism is going esp emphasis on "click bait" etc. So hoping for a change of career he's taking a history degree full time - so this year 2 level 2 courses.

Bovey Belle said...

You'll enjoy the Fred Archer books - it's many a year since I last read one and got rid of my copies when we downsized. Your crime books look good - I've had a break from them (not intentionally) but really miss the genre. Just started one about the Great Fire of London.

DO visit Bacton Church. I did last year and it is well worth the visit, both for Blanche's tomb - gosh she had money, that's for sure, and was overlooking the altar in GREAT style. The piece of Queen Elizabeth I's dress too - just amazing.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I will keep a look out in second hand bookshops for Fred Archer although I think you can get some on the kindle. I occasionally have a break from crime books but soon go back to them they are so readable!!
Yes Bacton will be visited. Quite a trek but will be worth it. I need to somehow visit more Herefordshire churches this year but not easy when family have no interest in them :(

CherryPie said...

I always love to find an old book about my local area. I have a few that cover the Wrekin and surrounding area.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you and yes it is. I've found some super local books in that bookshop.