Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 26 March 2022

First Trip of the Year to Herefordshire - Part 2: St Leonard's Church, Hatfield.

 

Full moon rising over the nearby copse on Thursday evening.



Timothy having a tipple and perusing a new book on The Mortimers.




I would really have liked to stop a few days longer but Friday was our last day as there were reasons for having to return home.  On Friday morning I decided to have a look round the church nearby at Hatfield dedicated to St Leonard.  I've walked round the church exterior and churchyard several times already but Friday's visit was to see the interior.

Lesser Celandine on the bank where I parked the car.



St Leonard's has an 11th century nave which may even be pre-Conquest it was extended west in the 14th century when the chancel was probably re-built.






I just love this bricked up doorway - it is an early Norman doorway with a lintel of three large joggled stones.  The tympanum shows opus reticulatum (square stones set diagonally).  Herringbone masonry in the wall can also be seen.











The bell turret may be medieval and was weather-boarded in 1903.



















The open timber west porch is partly 14th century.



And so inside the church.



Plain Norman font which has been superseded by a 19th century one (which to be honest I thought was rather ghastly!).



Looking towards the chancel.  The chancel was restored in 1878 and rest of church in 1903 and most fitttings date from around 1800 (pulpit and west gallery).




That new font :(
















I loved the pattern of brickwork in the church - some off the nave walls were rebuilt in 1723 after collapsing.





























The East window by Mayer and Company 1878.












We left about 2.00 p.m and came home via Tenbury Wells and Droitwich joining the M5 much further up to avoid the road works at Worcester.

I must admit I wish I could have been there this week with the lovely weather we have been having.

Back at home Blue Tits are building a nest in the nestbox which has a camera but still no sign of frogspawn in the pond.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


Reference: Buildings of England - Herefordshire Pevsner (latest edition).


12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Happy little soul that Timothy is with his tipple. I love seeing primroses and celandines, like shining stars in a green sky. Such happy little flowers that say Spring is here at last. The bricked up door makes me think of a stencil! I agree with you, that new font looks like a masonry project gone wrong and abandoned.

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely church, and the sunshine makes for Special Effects too. I loved that green floral border. See what you mean about the font though!

Rosie said...

I like the shape of the church and like you prefer the older font. How peaceful the inside looks with lots of interesting features like the enclosed benches and the gallery. Glad you got home safely. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Timothy was indeed happy :) I don't think you can beat the early Spring flowers. Yes the font is pretty awful imho!!!Glad I finally went into the church.

Bovey Belle Thanks so much. Sunshine can sometime make (or break!) a photo!! Always so much to see in a church. The font is terrible in my view - worst I have seen I think!

Rosie - Thanks so much. It was a very peaceful and tranquil church and quite lovely in its simplicity - no-one around either :) Take care too.

Pam said...

I've just caught up on your trip, it must be good to get back to the caravan and it's nice to see the tree!! Good news about the Blue Tits :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. It was good to go back and I am grateful we have somewhere like that to escape to. Nest building continues :)

The Quacks of Life said...

nice to see you went in :) I love those old hymn boards don't you?

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much - yes I plucked up the courage although no-one was around :) Yes I do like them - wish I had taken more photos of them in the past when I have seen them :)

CherryPie said...

Hello Timothy you are looking rather mellow after your tipple.

The church looks lovely, thank you for the history notes :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much and Timothy says he was rather happy :) Pevsner is very useful!!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

It is rather a nice church inside, quite simple and to the point. See what you mean about the Font total out of place compared to the Norman one

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks and yes it is nice and simple :) Glad they kept the Norman font the newer one is probably the worst I have ever seen!