Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 1 April 2022

RSPB Middleton Lakes

 

Last weekend D and I decided to go a walk round RSPB Middleton Lakes as the weather was so lovely. I must admit I haven't visited for quite a few years.  It was a lot busier there than I remembered and I think everyone had decided to take advantage of the good weather. It is probably a place to visit midweek rather than on a sunny weekend!

The site used to be gravel extraction pits until it was taken over by the RSPB who improved the habitat immensely and it formally opened as a nature reserve in 2011.  The site covers 160 hectares and the habitats include, meadow and wetlands, pools, reedbeds and woodland all located in the Tame Valley. It is one of a series of sites which are good for birds such as Kingsbury Water Park and a Warwickshire Wildlife Trust reserve at Lea Marston.








We watched this Pied Wagtail for ages it was following the horse and presumably picking off insects disturbed by the horse's hooves.





By the carpark there used to be a pool with a boardwalk and nearby a heronry but I couldn't see the latter and the boardwalk itself seemed to have collapsed and was roped off.

The first part of the walk to the reserve itself passes through woodland.






Dog's Mercury in flower


























Birmingham and Fazeley Canal

























Pussywillow, Gorse and Blackthorn







To be honest we didn't linger long  just going a short walk as it is one of those reserves where the birds are a long way away. I did add a few species to the year list and there was a butterfly in the distance which had disappeared by the time I got close! There are a few screens and somewhere on the reserve there is now a hide.

Rookery




Middleton Hall is not far away - a place I really must re-visit this year.




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It's always so good to get out and about, isn't it? Lovely to see things springing into life again. Not many people about so I would think less stressful to go in midweek. Maybe Timothy will start to venture out carefully soon? Shame about the heronry. Hope the birds are safe somewhere else.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I agree I always feel much better when I make the effort to go out somewhere. It is so easy just to hide away at home! Weekends not the time to go though!! I could have taken Timothy - really must get back in habit of taking him with me. Strange about the heronry and I was looking forward to seeing it. The rookery is still there though.

Rosie said...

Some lovely signs of Spring on your walk. We tend to go out in the week and stay home at the weekends as places are so much busier then. I remember visiting the reserve quite a few years ago and also a courtyard of shops not far from the hall which looks a fascinating place to visit:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. David could at times go out in the week atm so it is something we should try. There is a lovely little courtyard of shops as you say with a coffee shop too. Sadly, the cheese shop has moved elsewhere though.

CherryPie said...

This is on my list to visit as is a return to Middleton Hall.

Your photos the lake walk are lovely :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. Middleton Hall is indeed lovely. There is a free car park there by the courtyard with shops and cafe. Charge to go in hall though and would advise checking website for opening hours. Entrance to RSPB is a different one by the Villa Training Ground. Car Park there free if a member £3 otherwise. No charge for reserve.

Millymollymandy said...

It looks a lovely site with a nice variety of habitat. I have really enjoyed the few RSPB sites I have been to (especially if they have a cafe with home made cakes!).

Sorry, I will never catch up - I’m behind on my own posts, let alone reading other blogs! 😄

Mxx

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks - it is good there. No visitor centre though but there are toilets and a coffee shop at Middleton Courtyard nearby.

Please don't apologise - no need :)