Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 16 April 2022

Back to Herefordshire - Part 3: Tenbury Wells and Happy Easter

 

We came home on the Saturday and I wanted to stop off somewhere on the way back to extend the break a little! NT Brockhampton was the first idea until I discovered there was an Easter Egg Hunt on there which suggested busy to me! I did think of Witley Court but an hour is not really long enough to spend there so we ended up going home via Tenbury Wells and having a walk around the town centre (another place D hasn't visited before).







The Butter Cross or Butter Market was built in 1859 so that farmers' wives could sell butter and poultry under cover.  This is the first time I have seen it "open" and in use.









St Mary's





There are some pretty cottages opposite the church.





























River Teme





Burford Castle or Tump which was once a motte and bailey. I am still not sure if you can access it as I didn't have enough time on this visit to investigate.



Temeside House was erected in 1837 as the Work House for the Tenbury Poor Law Union which contained 19 local parishes. In 1929 the Workhouse system ended and from 1937 to 2009 it was used as the Town Council Offices.














Newly restored Tenbury Spa or Pump room.






The Royal Oak a 16th century inn was one of the main coaching houses on the route from London to the North.  The name commemorates the escape of Charles II after the Battle of Worcester when he hid in an oak tree.








*D



I am re-reading the Cure of Souls a Merrily Watkins book by Phil Rickman.  We passed this hop field on the way home which reminded me of the Lady of the Bines legend - those hop poles look spooky now even in daylight!!






I hope everyone has a Happy Easter and a lovely weekend.



Photo marked *D was taken by D with the Canon SX40 HS bridge camera and rest of photos were taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


10 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

What a shame you didn't go to Brockhampton. Friends went yesterday, Good Friday, and said it wasn't too busy. I'd not been there or seen photos - desperately want to go now, but sadly Keith isn't up to the journey or getting around once we get there.

Haven't been to Tenbury Wells either (just driven through it). Looks lovely. It is half a lifetime since I was at Witley Court, literally.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. So sorry Keith is having trouble travelling and walking - I do hope they can find some medication that would help.
Interesting about it being quiet yesterday - we should have gone. We have been once before if you want to see photos check under my listof labels for Brockhampton - it is an amazing place and David wanted to see the architecture.

I always find Tenbury Wells quite "genteel"! A few nice independent shops too. David and I went to Witley Court about 3 years ago I think - a super place to visit but not when you only have an hour to spare!!! When I went last time the church was closed for a concert! So I really must go back one day.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It's always lovely to extend a break, even if only by an hour or so and especially in such a lovely place. Timothy seems happy to be out and about again! Pasg Hapus from Treasure and me!

Bovey Belle said...

He's waiting for the results of more blood test, and has to go and have another MRI scan, and his Neurology appt. has been chased up too. Wish we could get to the bottom of it-part of it is down to the steroids, part to the thyroid problems, but there may be something else too.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - So sorry about the waiting and not knowing. It must be a very difficult, worrying and frustrating time for you all. I do hope you get some answers soon. Thinking of you.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. OH once he decides to leave always wants to get home but it is good I feel to extend the last day. Pasg Hapus to you and Treasure from me and Timothy :)

Rosie said...

Super photos. Tenbury Wells looks a lovely place to visit on your way home. It's good to have those few extra hours so it still feels like part of the holiday. I hope you are having a lovely Easter weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. There is something nice about Tenbury Wells in a genteel way. I've been looking for houses for sale there tbh! I remember mum and dad bought my daughter when a baby a teddy bear from a factory shop in the town but it no longer seems to be there. Yes thank you and hope you are enjoying Easter too.

CherryPie said...

Lovely photos of Tenbury Wells. I have never visited the town, I need to add it to my list of places to visit.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - it is nice there but perhaps not worth a special journey. One to visit if you are in the area.