Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 13 April 2022

Back To Herefordshire - Part 2: Mortimer Forest and Views of Ludlow

 

On Thursday the weather was much better - the wind had dropped and the showers had disappeared - so we decided to visit Mortimer Forest for a walk as it is another place D hasn't visited.

Timothy was not going to be left behind!






Mortimer Forest covers over 1000 hectares and was created in the 1920's by the Forestry Commission. It does, however, contain fragments of ancient Saxon forests that were once used for hunting. The FC decided to use the name Mortimer Forest due to the presence on the site of the Saxon hunting forests of Mocktree, Deerfold and Dringewood which had been granted to Ralph de Mortimer.

Once again we followed the Easy Access Trail which follows two loops in a figure of eight.














Wood Sorrel









Coltsfoot




It was while I was trying to take photos of violets on a sunny, sandy bank that I spotted a movement.  It was a Common Lizard. I can't tell you how chuffed I was to spot this.  I've seen Wall Lizards on the Isle of Wight in recent years but they are not native to England and slow worms (which are native) in various locations  - but the last native Common lizards I saw in the wild were when I was a child so its a long time ago!  Unfortunately it was moving very fast and the only other picture I managed was one of its tail!  D and B were hundreds of yards ahead of me (as usual). I did call them back but by then it had disappeared into the foliage.








Near Peeler Pond we saw a Brimstone and a Red Admiral and also watched a Chiffchaff foraging for insects in a nearby tree.





Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage





Dog's Mercury






*D

*D

*D

*D


*D



D managed to get a photo from the car of these gorgeous chimney pots in Ludford.



*D



On the way back we stopped off at the viewpoint above Whitcliff Common with wonderful views of Ludlow, including the castle and St Laurence Church, and the Brown Clee and Titterstone Clee Hill (you may remember we drove up there on our last visit).


 




Note for Deborah - another one of those memorial benches!









Back at the caravan the Herefordshire Oak Tree looks much the same as 3 or 4 weeks ago!




Cloudscape at Hatfield



With no leaves you can see the pool below from the rear of the caravan.




Primroses and hyacinths in our tiny garden. The scent from the latter is amazing :)





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

*D photos taken by David with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera. Rest of pictures taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


11 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

LoL, yet another bench! We should do a Spot the Bench day!! Yesterday, Mortimer's Forest was the answer to one of the questions on one of the plethora of quiz shows I enjoy. Needless to say, thanks to you, I got it right! Timothy looks very happy indeed, and obviously pushing forward for a seat in the car.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and yes indeed we should!! Not only looking for animals in churches, adorable doors, postboxes etc but now benches too :) Glad it helped with the quiz I have to say I like it there a lot - prefer it to Queenswood Arboretum which is always busier. Timothy is enjoying his trips out again immensely :)

Rosie said...

Such a lovely walk, woodlands are coming alive now. Great to spot the lizard. Wonderful views of Ludlow, makes me want to visit again soon. Glad you are all enjoying visiting your caravan again now it is warmer. Have a lovely Easter:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It is a lovely wood despite the amount of conifers! I like Ludlow a lot although it was too busy last time we visited. But I would like to go back to the castle and the church. Have a lovely Easter too :)

CherryPie said...

Your walk looks lovely. On our recent visit to Ludlow Mr C was intending to go to the castle but I distracted him by going into the church. The removing of the Victorian pews has changed the look and feel of the church. That and the fact that he was able to climb the tower led to him lingering in the church. It worked for me ;-)

The castle is still there for another day :-)

I have always been a 'bench' lady as can be seen with my ever changing 'rest a while with me' image on my blog :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. When I visited St Laurence there was some sort of fayre going on and hence it was very cluttered inside and difficult to get photos. Imust return if the pews have changed the look. The tower climb would definitely distract son and OH so thank you for the idea.

They do both like castles so I wouldnt have a problem there.

I will check out your image when I next visit your blog :)

The Quacks of Life said...

of course he wasn't staying at home!

looks like a nice stroll.

Easter is always crowded :(

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks and he completely agrees with you. Quite like Mortimer Forest never that busy and there are several trails.
School and bank holidays for crowds are a pain :(

Millymollymandy said...

Another lovely walk! I like seeing the wildflowers as I don’t know some of the ones here, and I’m still learning Med. ones too, though usually ID is in one ear and out the other! The views of Ludlow are beautiful and all the photos great. 💕

Millymollymandy said...

P.S. Love the lizard!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - thanks so much. I was real chuffed with the lizard!!!!! Most of the flowers I know I have known since my grandfather taught me the names! These days as you say in one ear out the other!!!