Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 23 April 2022

Recent Reading, Easter and Garden Flowers and Butterflies etc

 

I don't think I've done a post on recent reading recently so here are the latest books.

I haven't read Agatha Christie for years and years but I enjoyed this first Miss Marple book and will read more.


If I am honest I bought this book because I liked the title and cover! but I enjoyed it immensely.  The book covers the author's encounters with nature and visits to various homes and museums connected with past naturalists such as John Clare, Charles Darwin and Gilbert White etc.  


This book, like the first in the series, was really poorly edited as an e-book (I really ought to complain to Amazon!).  The font size varied from one chapter to another which isn't too much of a pain but text was repeated and even worse bits of it seemed to be missing. It is a shame because I am enjoying this series set in the Scilly Isles.



I bought this book second hand as it now seems to be out of print. I have to admit I learned a lot about the Neolithic Age, Iron Age and Bronze Age - a period of history I didn't know a lot about) and its given me lots of ideas of places to visit. Top of the list is Arthur's Stone!!



I hope this series continues as I do like Nikki Galena and this book was again very good.



I enjoyed Murder at St Anne's probably more than others in the series. I do find at times the conversations between the characters are a bit "forced".  It seems to be the last in the series that you can buy although I think the next is due to be published sometime this year.



My daughter bought me this book for Christmas. It is really a coffee table book full of the most beautiful photos of Grasmere and the Lake District taken during lockdowns.  My only complaint is that the photos are not captioned with details of where the pictures were taken although I recognised many of the locations.



Another Shire book - usually I adore these books but this one I found rather hard going.



A re-read of the next Merrily Watkins book.





Easter

B always makes Hot Cross Buns on Good Friday.



Posy of garden flowers for the table.




I always make a Simnel cake for Easter.  I tried using a recent present of a cook's blowtorch to brown it which didn't seem that successful!




Blackthorn flowers




In the garden

The female Blue Tit has now laid 8 eggs  I hope the brood is more successful than those in recent years.  Butterfly wise - Orange Tip have emerged and I've also seen Holly Blue, Green-veined White and Speckled Wood plus a Peacock.  Worryingly we have had no frogspawn at all this year - I still blame it on newts eating the frog tadpoles and over the years the frog population has died out!  There again there could be another reason.

One of the bays is flowering.




B grew Honesty from seeds he had collected from the garden for here and the caravan.  We now have Honesty Plants in two of the borders here.




The Camellias are still flowering.




Bluebells are flowering - sadly we have a mix of not just the native bluebell but also the Spanish bluebell. They are plants we inherited when we moved in and they have spread everywhere.



Cowslips are spreading too - we now have at least 100 plants in the wild flower area.



I have no idea what this shrub is but it does have thorns!




Wood Anemones and Wood Sorrel





Thanks to Rosie of "Corners of My Mind" I have now remembered what this blossoming shrub is -Amelanchier! 




Green Alkanet and Forget-me-nots





One or two daffodils are still flowering.




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Photos taken by me with Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


9 comments:

Rosie said...

The blossom on our Amelanchier blew off in the week, it doesn't last long. The wind took the plum blossom too. Your yellow shrub looks like a Mahonia but I could be wrong. Both hot cross buns and simnel cake look wonderful. You have lots of reading, some of them authors I read too. Particularly the Fens books and the Scilly Isles one too. Also Merrily. What a shame you had a problem with your kindle book, I sometimes find that if I enlarge the font too much the text gets repeated. I have the latest one on reserve at the library and have just collected the latest Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway novel from there which I shall start to read next week. Glad you had a lovely Easter weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie Thanks so much. Our blossom has gone now too! I've been pondering on plant yellow flowers and think if might be a variety of Berberis? I think there is a new Merrily book out June :) Most of my reading ideas come from you :) Thanks for ti re: font size that could be the cause. I am looking forward to next Elly Griffiths book so enjoy :)

Rosie said...

Thank you. Of course it is a Berberis, I had a feeling when I said Mahonia that I was wrong. We even have a few branches of one hanging over our fence from next door and yes, they are very spikey. I'm looking forward to the new Merrily book:)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

The flowers are all so pretty, but I love the heart shape cluster of Forget Me Nots so much.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks took me ages to remember had to google it!! Roll on June (Merrily) :)

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much yes I love forget me nots too.

Bovey Belle said...

I'm 3/4 of the way through Elly Griffiths The Midnight Hour (had to wait for it to come out in paperback). I am slow reading at the moment as I have lots to do (a big Fair at the weekend for starters) and all sorts of appts too.

What a pretty bee-friendly garden you have. All those cowslips too!

I've neve made a Simnel cake (only Keith and I here to eat it so I hardly ever bake these days.) He loves Hot X buns though, so I have been buying packs so he can have one toasted when he feels like it (I'm trying to fatten him up again after he lost weight).

Can't wait for the long-awaited Phil Rickman novel to come out. It would be nice if it made it earlier than June.

You will LOVE Arthur's Stone. Fabulous views up there too. If you go in via Bredwardine, you'll go up a steep hill past the old schoolhouse we were trying so hard to buy.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks :) In the main I wait for kindle prices to come down for new novels as I cringe at paying full paperback price! Phil Rickman new Merrily novel was cheap on Amazon last week for pre-orders.

Since the pandemic and not going out so much I read a lot more. The kids like Simnel cake as much lighter fruit cake than Cmas Cake. I like hot cross buns toasted too!

Hopefully we will go to Arthur's stone this Spring. I will remember to look for your old schoolhouse.

CherryPie said...

The simnel cake looks lovely. I am sure it was delicious. It brings back memories of when my mum used to make them many years ago.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. Easy to make - just need a good recipe :)