Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 9 March 2022

A Walk Around Meriden

 

Last week D and I went a wander round the village of Meriden mainly to see if there was any activity at the rookery there.

The area where Meriden is located has been occupied since the Stone Age - flints have been discovered in the Blythe valley and Bronze Age swords have also been found.  The original name of Meriden was Alspath (meaning Aelle's Path in Old English).  In 1829 Meriden was said to be located at the centre of England but in 1920 this was shown to be inaccurate.  Meriden was associated with Triumph motor cycles from 1941-1987 with a production plant in the village which had moved from Coventry during World War Two.

The Grade II listed medieval  sandstone cross is known locally as "The Stocks".  A plaque nearby mentions the tradition that Meriden is at the centre of England (since discredited see above!).  The cross has been moved twice once in 1822 and to its current position on the village green in 1952/53.





There is also a memorial bench on the village green (yes you guessed right I missed it!) to a Walter MacGregor "Robbie" Robinson who died  in 1956.  He was called the wayfarer and played a big role in promoting touring for the general public from the 1920's onwards.  The bench was installed by the Cyclists' Touring Club.

Also on the green is the National Cyclists' Memorial - a memorial obelisk to cyclists who died in the World Wars.  The deaths are commemorated each year by National Cycling organisations on the green in a service in mid-May.  The memorial was initially unveiled on 21st May 1921 and the ceremony was attended by over 20,000 cyclists.










We've never been to the Bull's Head for a meal although we have been to the Strawberry Bank restaurant in Meriden. Memorable because while we waiting to be served there was a power cut! The meal when it came was very good though.



It was great to see there was loads of activity at the Rookery as when I drove past earlier this year I couldn't see any!  I always try and check this rookery each year when I can.


























The duck pond was full of birds - Mallard, Geese and Black-headed Gulls.

















*D

*D

As many of you will have gathered I have become very interested in the Mortimer family in medieval times who lived in the Welsh Marches and there is actually a slight connection with Meriden!

The escape from the Tower of London (one of only two in its history) of Marcher Lord Roger Mortimer has a Meriden connection.  Constable Stephen Segrave and Deputy Constable of the Tower Gerard Alspath were Overlord and Lord of the Manor of Meriden respectively and Gerard was implicated in helping Roger Mortimer to escape.  Segrave escaped punishment as he claimed he had been lied to by a loyal servant.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera and the final two marked *D were taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera.


9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

An interesting and unusual history, I've never seen such a war memorial. I'd say those nests are high, so predicting a fine summer. How is Timothy faring?

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin Thanks so much. The war memorial is unusual. Good news re: fine summer. Timothy is fine thank you - he says I should have taken him along :)

Rosie said...

Lovely post. It looks like you had a good day out. Glad the rooks are back. I remember passing through Meriden once and seeing a group of cyclists around a memorial, I guess it was the cyclist one rather than the ancient cross. I remember we said at the time it was the centre of England and then learning later that it probably wasn't:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Yes it was a nice walk. I grew up thinking Meriden was the centre of England! I hope you are ok as I've been missing your blog posts.

Mandy said...

How interesting. I think I'd like to visit the 'centre of England' even if it has been debunked. (Popped over here from Cherry's blog)

CherryPie said...

What a lovely walk you had. I like the war memorials along the way and the Mortimer history and escape.

The other escapee was John Gerard. He tale is also remarkable.

Ragged Robin said...

Mandy Southgate - Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment :)

CherryPie - Thanks so much. I will do some research on John Gerard - thanks :)

The Quacks of Life said...

memorial to cyclists unusual? Looks a nice stroll.

Ragged Robin said...

TheQuacks of Life - Thanks Pete - yes it was unusual. Lived round there all my life and I hadn't heard of it before!