Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 28 February 2022

First Garden Butterfly, St Swithin's and a Walk Round Barston

 

Last week we spotted our first garden butterfly of 2022 - a Red Admiral on the patio nectaring on bergenia flowers.

*D

Last Thursday D and I visited Barston - a small hamlet not far from Solihull. I had heard, via Twitter, that the church there was now usually open. I did visit the churchyard a few years back to see the wild flowers as it is a Local Wildlife Site but the church wasn't open then. If you'd like to see this post please follow the link St Swithin's Church Barston  .

In Saxon times Barston included most of the area of Berkswell.  In the reigns of Henry II and King John portions were given to the Knight's Templar and, following their dissolution, to the Hospitallers.

A local legend suggests that a underground secret passage from St Swithin's church to Temple Balsall (the Knight's Templar headquarters) exists.  But as this would run underneath the River Blythe this seems improbable especially as the Forest of Arden which covered the area would have made it easy to move between the two places without being seen.





The chapel which once existed on the site of the present church was dedicated to St Swythin and belonged to the church of Berkswell which allocated the chapel a curate.  This chapel was burnt down in 1721 when the present church was built by Thomas Fisher of Eastcote Hall. The Georgian church underwent what Pevsner calls an "insensitive restoration"  by E H Lingen Barker in 1899-1900.




Crocuses, Snowdrops and Daffodils were all in flower in the churchyard.














Unfortunately for me the church was well and truly locked again!  But luckily a very kind gentleman who was working in the churchyard offered to unlock it for me when I explained I was hoping to see two rather special windows.





I really was very grateful to him for his kindness and I said I would only be 10 minutes. He sat in a pew and chatted and I realised yet again how poor my hearing has become. I must have missed a lot of information because most of what he said I couldn't hear. It also meant I had to concentrate hard which meant I took the photos in rather a rush as you will  see with the usual "forgot to check the window is correctly horizontal and not tilted"!

I fell in love with windows by Yoxall and Whitford when I visited St Mary and St Bartholomew in Hampton in Arden a few years back and I had discovered recently one of their windows is also in Barston church.

The window was designed and made by Nora Yoxall (1892-1998) and Elsie Whitford (1897-1992) in 1970 in memory of Frederick Gillman, a local farmer who died suddenly aged 34. It depicts changing seasons in the agricultural year and is incredibly beautiful.


















Opposite the above window was the other window I had come to see which complements the Yoxall and Whitford stained glass beautifully.  It celebrates the new Millennium and was created by the Art of Glass, Earlswood.  It shows scenes and features of life in Barston in the year 2000 and contains the biblical text "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and for ever." (Hebrews 13.8).  The kind gentleman did explain the buildings and features in the window but what little I could hear I have forgotten although I do know the nearby River Blythe is at the foot of this lovely window.














The window was funded by members of the parish and the congregation.

The East Window by William Holland 1863.







Fisher family Hatchments





The font is made from a design by Dudley Male of Birmingham and apparently the old font was buried under the foundation stone of the new one in 1854.





As usual I missed features such as the war memorial, the altar rails, the pulpit,lectern and a memorial tablet but I will go back to see flowers in the churchyard in the summer and perhaps the church will be open.

I went back to the car to fetch D - he had taken this photo of a robin while waiting.


*D

*D

There are two public footpaths you can follow from the churchyard. The first one we tried was very muddy so we tried the other one which wasn't quite as bad.

These sheep in a field came running over to the fence as soon as they saw us - I suspect they were waiting for someone to feed them as they were very friendly.
















Alkanet and primroses in flower and someone had planted a daffodil in the gate post.








Back in Barston






I've started work decluttering the garage and the first task was to start going through items I brought back from mum's house. This was her old bread board which contains the text "Give us this day our daily bread". How I wish I had a kitchen big enough for a dresser to display it.




The items I wish to keep are now in a proper storage box. There are a lot of photos (prints) to go through and we still have all those boxes of slides.  The trouble with the slides is that they are all in glass cases which have to be removed before you can scan them.  With regard to the cine films B has a cine projector and he has bought a gadget to help you film the films with a video camera before transferring to a computer but it will be a long job but cheaper than having it done professionally.


You may remember when D and I went to the Big Elephant Parade at Worcester Cricket Ground I said I had brought back a small elephant. Well here he is and now he has a name Winnie! I was keen on either Edwin Elephant or Wulstan (an early bishop of Worcester cathedral and saint) but the elephant wanted Winnie so Winnie it is!





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Photos marked *D taken by my son the Red Admiral with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera and the robin with my camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic FZ330 bridge camera

Reference:

St Swithin's Church History by P S Orton (online from church website)

Pevsner Buildings of England Warwickshire by C Pickford and N Pevsner


15 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

Hello Winnie!

nice to see you got in the church and well done on the Red Admiral :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks :) Winnie waves back :)
Well done on your RA too. Two nice windows in that church :)

hart said...

Lovely photos. I don't mind the slant at all.

Rosie said...

So good that you could go inside the church to see those beautiful windows. Lovely photos both inside and out and also the robin. I know what you mean about hearing, mine has deteriorated quite a bit in the last two years, I struggle hearing some people on the telephone and television, it depends on their voice. Great to see the Red Admiral and Winnie is cute, I have a little grey elephant too, a bit smaller than yours:)

Ragged Robin said...

Hart - Thanks so much. Some more slanted than others! :)

Rosie - Thanks so much. I was glad to get inside to see those two windows. re: hearing tv awful except for the news I have subtitles on and phone the same - any sort of accent in a voice and someone else has to take the call! I think to be honest I lipread a lot too not easy if people wearing a mask!!!!!I do miss birdsong a lot too - can only hear a few now. It is embarrrassing when talking to a stranger as I worry I come across as rude or dim!!!

Midmarsh John said...

Not seen any butterflies yet this year but was engulfed in a cloud of gnats dancing in the Sunshine yesterday.

There seems to me to be no modern window decoration to rival the beauty of old church stained glass. When I was at college in Coventry I was so disappointed when I saw the windows in the 'new' Cathedral.

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much. Hope you see a butterfly soon. We have had winter gnats dancing in the sun in the garden too :)

You are right you can't beat old stained glass. Medieval where it survives is particularly beautiful. I've only paid one brief visit to Coventry Cathedral in recent years but give me a medieval cathedral anyday!!

Pam said...

The windows are beautiful aren't they. I'm not surprised you've had a butterfly, the weather (in between storms) has been quite warm and sunny at times! It does sound like a huge task with the slides and films but well worth doing I think :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam Thanks so much plus thanks for link to mince pie bun recipe :) It has been mild for February. At the moment I'm going through storage boxes in the garage of my own stuff. Although we still can't find a house we'd like to move to the rebuilding plans in adjoining semi are still hanging over us so if we do find somewhere sorting stuff out now will help in a house move!!!! The scanner thing for slides son bought was expensive but I am wondering if you can buy one that will scan with the glass on the transparencies which would speed up process a lot!!!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

How did I miss this? Isn't it lovely to see all the Spring flowers? You're not the only one who suffers from photo tilt, and apart from resizing, it's the one post edit I do! The windows are beautiful and so worth the effort of getting in! I also like that oak leaf capitol. Going through boxes is often traumatic, but then we come across our treasured memories too. Very pretty bread board indeed.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Isn't it great when the first rays of spring come along, winters are never as bad as in my youth, but seeing the first signs of spring really does lift the heart - and weirdly the first butterfly in Somerset was a speckled wood about three weeks ago.. too quick for a photo sadly.

CherryPie said...

What a lovely adventure you had :-)

I am glad you had an opportunity to see the inside of the church, but I feel your frustration and not being able to explore it fully at your own pace.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I've missed posts in the past too so don't worry! I must check my photo editing set up - don't think you can do tilt though. It is very basic came with my old olympus dslr. I was over the moon to finally see those windows! Yes it is difficult with those boxes. I look at my old OU TMA's and ECA's and think I can't ditch those then there are all my nature diaries! So far they have all been kept! Mum's items are tinged with sadness as well as memories.

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much. Yes it is so uplifting to see the first signs of Spring - catkins and flowers and butterflies. I don't think I have ever seen a Speckled Wood as early as you. David took our photo from the bedroom window as we didn't want to disturb it feeding.

CherryPie - Thank you. I always struggle if there are guides about. You can learn such a lot from them as they are so knowledgeable but you feel rude taking photos when they are talking. A difficult situation!

Caroline Gill said...

First of all, a very warm welcome to Winnie! I'm sure we all look forward to his future appearances. Well, RR, what a lot of beautiful spring flowers; I haven't seen half of those yet over here, (almost) on the cold east coast ... but we did have little daffs out for St David's Day. I have yet to see a 2022 butterfly; I'm so pleased you had a lepidopteran visitor! We have had a few queen bees, which is lovely. The stained glass panels and their texts are truly wonderful. How good that you were granted access. It's so sad that many churches have to be locked (or 'staffed') these days ...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much and Winnie says thank you.

I remember once we had a short holiday in Norfolk in March and it was absolutely freezing!! Glad you have seen a few queen bees - just one seen here. Yes it is sad re: so many churches being locked. I think too some that closed due to pandemic that were normally open still haven't re-opened. I do know generally many city and N Warks churches are kept locked whereas S Warks more have always seemed open.