Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 25 May 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (4) - Part 1: Hatfield

 

Last week we returned to Herefordshire as the weather forecast looked good apart for the one day!  We managed to spend 4 nights there this time.

Timothy back on his shelf!  


The copse viewable from the caravan is now in full leaf and


so is the "Octopus Tree".  Once the rain had stopped on the Friday I wandered over to try and identify the species.  I am not brilliant on tree id but I think it is an Ash tree.











The Herefordshire Oak 




Next to the copse is another lovely tree.



A  pretty white Honesty in the border under the Hawthorn hedge.



Self-seeded pansies, acer, ranculus and periwinkle.









I have a lovely handpainted fairy door and I am struggling to find a location for it as we don't have a big enough tree in the garden or border at Hatfield. I decided against this location so moved it 




to here.  The door was made by a lady who has a website called At the Farmhouse - she makes some lovely items such as handpainted tea lights, vases, boxes, covered in insects and wild flowers.  I must admit over the years I have bought quite a few items from her.



We arrived on the Thursday and in the afternoon did the usual Click and Collect at Morrisons, Leominster and bought a few plants for the garden and pots. 

Friday it rained from mid am to mid pm but the weather was lovely over the weekend so we visited a traditional hay meadow on Saturday and a garden open for the National Garden Scheme on the Sunday, coming home on the Monday. I'll do a couple of posts later in the week on these.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330. I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks.


6 comments:

Rosie said...

Glad you managed a few days away. Your surroundings look lovely and I like the way you folow the trees through the seasons. Timothy looks pleased to be back on his shelf. We've just had a couple of days away visting friends and relatives and revisiting places we know to see how they have changed. The fairy door is pretty and you have found the perfect spot for it:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. So pleased you like the trees - I will continue to post pictures throughout the year.
So glad you managed some days aay - it makes such a difference to how one feels and re-charges the batter.
Thanks too re: the fairy door - I am still not sure but with building work at home don't want it here - possibly if we ever move I will find a better location for it.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I bet Master Timothy is happy again. Such a pretty post. Glad you got away for a few days to see how everything is moving into Summer. My tree identification is shaky at best!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Good to get away :) I am ok with species like oak and elder, holly and chestnut and yew etc but then I have to check id books!! Master Timothy is very happy but I notice these days Benedict looking down in the mouth so I have promised him a church or abbey or priory trip - he will fit in with his monk's habit! :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Definitely an ash tree, and looking in good condition. Sadly virtually att the ash trees in Somerset have ash die back disease, with large scale felling this winter. That's sad to see but it is opening up woodlands to allow other species to come in.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew for the confirmation. One can but hope it remains healthy. I know ash die back is a huge problem and worry country wide but sorry to read about all the tree felling in Somerset. It is sad but as you say other species will appear. Hopefully some individual trees will have some natural resistance one does worry about species dependent on the ash.