Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 14 October 2022

October Visit to Herefordshire - Part 3: Croft Castle and Walled Garden



On Thursday the weather was lovely and, as it was dry, we decided to go to Croft Castle as D hasn't been there.  So first a look at the Castle and the Walled Garden.

Croft Castle has been lived in by the Croft Family, apart from a period of 177 years, since the Norman Conquest.

The estate today covers 644 hectares or 1591 acres.

The earliest castle was a motte and bailey castle built to the west of the castle we see today.  The motte and bailey was rebuilt as a stone walled manor and was transformed in Tudor times by Sir James Croft.  It was badly damaged during the Civil War. In 1746, due to bankruptcy in the Croft family, the Knight family took over the estate and turned the castle into a Gothic Castle.









The lion by the front entrance is emblematic of the Croft Coat of Arms.




There is also a Wyvern :)





St Michael and All Angels predates the present castle and the first church was built in the 12th century. The present church is 14th century and was enlarged in the 15th century and re-modelled in the 18th.

The small bell turret with ogee shaped cupola was added in the late 17th century.




I didn't go in the church on this visit but if you would like to see inside please see here. St Michael and All Angels














So into the Walled garden which was restored in the 1950's and covers 3.5 acres.  The restoration was due to Diana Uhlman, her daughter Caroline Compton, the gardener and volunteers. Diana wished to reflect the Picturesque Movement.






















A Red Admiral was nectaring on the Michaelmas Daisies.










*D

*D


*D


*D


There are reports of two ghosts appearing from time to time at Croft Castle.  One is a tall ghostly man dressed in leather who could be Owain Glyndwr who had a connection with the castle as his daughter  married John Croft.

There are also sightings of the benign ghost of Sir James Croft who built today's castle and was very proud of it  The ghost can be seen when there is building work in progress.  He appears for a few seconds as if inspecting the changes and then fades away. There was actually scaffolding up round one of the buildings but I didn't spot him appearing and disappearing!

After lunch in the car we decided to walk again along Fishpool Valley as it was such a lovely walk. So yet again I failed to see inside the house!  I will write about the Valley walk in the next post.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera and those marked *D taken by David with the Canons SX50HS bridge camera (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)

Reference

National Trust Guide Book to Croft Castle

"Haunted Herefordshire" by Rupert Matthew, Logaston Press, 2008.



11 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Another lovely visit. I'm always in awe looking at these old buildings. Not just old, but very, very old, aren't they? They don't build them like that these days. The maintenance on them must be phenomenal. I just can't imagine actually living in a building like this. It must be very cold in winter, even with modern heating facilities. Hot air rises and their ceilings are high. In that respect we can say thank goodness for organisations such as National Trust and English Heritage. And CADW in Wales.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin Thanks so much. It is a wonderful place and one day I will go inside the house. Yes it would cost a lot to heat!!! I agree the NT, EH and CADW do a wonderful job in preserving such places.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I see a sign for that place going through Leominster and it is a place my wife & I thought of going to visit sometime. I also noticed a church nearby you pointed out.

Bovey Belle said...

What a shame you didn't go inside. I have to say, it was pleasant there but I wouldn't bother to go back. Other places I would rather see instead.

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. Its not far from Leominster about 15 minutes away. Not sure which church you mean. Yarpole very close to Croft Castle is very good and has a detached bell tower. Not sure which road you take to Wales but the one A road has signs to Pembridge, Weobley and Dilwyn all have great churches.


Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I will go inside one day I suppose I could have gone inside rather than doing the Fishpool VAlley walk. Its one of the few NT places that OH likes and I love the Ancient Tree Trail there. I prefer it to Berrington Hall I think.

Rosie said...

Good to visit again and spot different things. It helps when you have someone with you who hasn't visited before as they spot different things too. It looks as if you had some lovely crisp Autumnal weather for your visit, I hope that one day you explore inside too, perhaps that is for a rainy day when the sunshine isn't calling you to stay outside:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I agree it does help when someone with you sees it with fresh eyes. We were lucky with the weather. I am sure we will go back many times so one of these days will get inside. Should have thought of it really when B and D did the Fishpool Valley walk!

The Quacks of Life said...

i really like Croft! Did you go in the tea room?

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks - we like it there too. No we didn't visit tea room looked small and busy!

CherryPie said...

I always enjoy a visit to Croft Castle, especially the grounds and surrounding countryside.

On my most recent visit there wasn't a lot to commend a visit inside the house, which has not been the case on previous visits.

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Thanks so much. Yes Croft Castle and area are lovely. Have you been to Yarpole nearby which has church with detached bell tower.

Interesting re the house interior.