Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 9 October 2022

October Visit to Herefordshire - Part 1: Hedgehog Video

 


We managed to escape the demolition work next door! for a few nights last week and went to Herefordshire.  The weather was mixed but we did manage to go to a couple of places.

On the Thursday evening at dusk B spotted a young hedgehog foraging along the border at the side of the caravan. D managed to get a short video which I will attempt to post.  I know I've posted a hedgehog video before but I can't remember exactly how I did it. So fingers crossed!!




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Video taken by D with the Canon SX50HS Bridge Camera.



11 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

We had three at one time and started feeding them but now we only see one come to the feeder. I have not made a video like you but should get a wildlife camera sometime

Rosie said...

A lovely little film of a healthy looking hedgehog. Such a treat. It's good to see them:)

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. We used to have them at home too including babies but I haven't seen one for years although one at least is still around as I see their droppings. We have got a wildlife cam but tbh the novelty wore off a bit.

Rosie - Thanks so much. They have a really healthy population there apparently. People post photos etc on the site's FB page according to B.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

That's a lovely clear video of your little hedgehog, isn't it? You're so lucky. We don't seem to have them much around here, but then we do have badgers and foxes. Someone told me if you have badgers you won't have hedgehogs because they are natural predators.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. It was a lucky sighting looking out of the kitchen window at the right time! Yes I think badgers will eat them but only if desperate - they eat overall very few. Most of their diet is earthworms. I think problem might start if ground dry in a drought and they can't access worms. I have seen tweets with badgers and hedgehogs feeding together on twitter so they will mix at times :) I've not seen any signs of badger setts at Fairview though. Suspect soil too "clayey" for them.

Midmarsh John said...

Lovely to see the Hedgehog snuffling about. I don't know what happened to the two which regularly came to feed here. Visits suddenly stopped about a month ago.

Ragged Robin said...

MidMarshJohn - thanks so much. Sorry to hear your two have disappeared as it seems a bit early for hibernation? Hope they return.

The Wessex Reiver said...

As a few have said already, a healthy looking hog, foraging and building up reserves for the winter.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew and yes he did look healthy. Really pleased with the sighting as before only seen on the wildllife trail camera.

CherryPie said...

Lovely to see. I miss the hedgehog we had in our garden a few years ago.

Ragged Robin said...

Thank you - we used to get them in the garden a lot. I think one is still around as I see droppings.