Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 24 October 2020

Return to Herefordshire - Part 3: St Michael and All Angels, Croft Castle

 




St Michael and All Angels was built in the early to mid  fourteenth century (chancel and nave).  Timber bell turret added around 1700 with its lead collared ogee cap.  The church was enlarged in the 15th century and re-modelled in the 18th century.  Today the church serves the parish of Yarpole.



I wandered round the back to see if this time it was open and it was! A wide open door and no-one else inside so who could resist having a look round! 😃




The plain octagonal font, according to Pevsner, is probably 14th century.



The tiles are 15th and early 16th century from Malvern and Monmouth with one dated 1486. They are mostly heraldic.








Pevsner is at the caravan so I can't check but some of the tiles look more recent or have they been restored?

I had been given a tip by someone who lives in Herefordshire that I talk to on Twitter that I must not miss the monument and it was, without doubt, the highlight of the visit.

The tomb is to the memory of Sir Richard Croft, Sheriff of Herefordshire 1471-72-77-86 who fought at Mortimer's Cross in 1471. He was the MP for Herefordshire in1471 and was Governor of Ludlow Castle.  He was created a knight after the Battle of Stoke 1487 and died on 29th July 1509. The tomb is also for his wife Eleanor who died 1520. She was the daughter of Sir Edmund Cornewall, Baron of Burford, Salop and widow of Sir Hugh Mortimer of Kyre.




The tomb chest has standing angels holding shields beneath crocketed canopies. Inexpertly reconstructed when moved from the former North Chapel (according to Pevsner).  Recumbent effigies with a lion at the feet of Sir Richard Croft.  Eleanor's head rests on a cushion held by angels and at her feet are a lion cub and puppy.  There is an elaborate paired canopy over their heads vaulted inside with small angels. 

Unfortunately I am not really tall enough to get photos from above which is a bit of a pain. I couldn't even find something to stand on (minus shoes) as you were told not to touch anything! 😢




















Against the rear wall there are saints in two tiers - the lower two St Anthony and St Roche and St Sitha and St Margaret above - and I spotted a tiny wyvern 😂












More Croft Memorials - I really should have taken better photos but it was a very brief whizz round. I also missed getting photos of the boxed pews and gallery at the west end.







The East Window is by Hardman 1916.























After we'd left Croft Castle I persuaded B to make a short detour to the nearby village of Yarpole as the church there has a detached tower - one of eight in Herefordshire.  There was some sort of event on at the church as we couldn't park and there were loads of people milling about. But Yarpole is certainly worth a future visit both the church and a walk round as there are some interesting looking buildings and when life is more normal a pub!!


We came home the following day - Saturday and I took this photo of a hot air balloon coming into land at the side of the M42. Not a great picture as I didn't have time to adjust the speed!




All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well in these worrying times.






4 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Well I am so pleased for you that you found an open church that was empty and that you felt safe enough to enter! I had to smile, not tall enough! I am not tall enough either for a lot of shots, but nor can I crouch down for low angles for fear of not being able to get up again. The joy of aging.

Stay safe and well!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin -Thank you. Must admit I am uneasy in buildings and hate wearing those masks so I didn't stay in there long. I had to smile at your sentence of not being able to crouch down because I can't either. My knees are dreadful and I can't get up unless I have something nearby to use to haul myself up! It makes getting stuff in and out kitchen cupboards very difficult :( Stay safe and well too.

CherryPie said...

I am so happy that you got to see inside the church.

You noticed many things that I did not on my visit to the church.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I will return to find the things I missed! Interesting monument and as I really miss church crawling it was good to be inside one again!