Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 5 October 2020

Another Trip to Herefordshire - Part 2: Tenbury Wells

 

Thursday last week was thank goodness dry and sunny and we decided to spend the afternoon in Tenbury Wells which turned out to be fairly quiet i.e. few people!  We'd driven through a few times but never stopped to explore.

Tenbury Walls known as "The Town in the Orchard" is a small ancient market town.  The River Teme flows along the edge of the town and separates Worcestershire from Shropshire. The border with Herefordshire is about a mile away.  The town contains several 17th century half timbered buildings and Georgian houses.  When mineral water wells were discovered in 1840 the town added "Wells" to its name.  Queen Victoria who visited the area at the end of the 19th century called it "my little town in the orchard" hence its alternative name.

I think this unusual building contained public toilets!




The Royal Oak (currently vacant) is a 16th century inn and was the main coaching house on the route from London to the North.  The name commemorates the escape of Charles II when he hid in a oak tree after the Battle of Worcester.



Parts of the Crow Hotel date from the first half of the 17th century and in the early 18th century it became an inn.





The Kyre Brook






The newly restored Tenbury Spa or Pump Rooms

When they were built in 1862 it was thought that mineral water from Tenbury had healing properties and the town would become another famous Spa town. This was not to be!! The building was designed by James Cranston of Birmingham who based the design on his greenhouse! It is one of the earliest prefabricated buldings.  It became derelict at the end of the 20th century but was fully restored for the Millennium and is now used as a community hall, registry office for weddings and houses the office of the town clerk.










Tenbury House erected in 1815 on the site of an earlier house. The building was unfortunately obscured somewhat by scaffolding!!



There is quite a large Tesco in Tenbury Wells which will be useful when we eventually shop there rather than taking food from home every time we visit.  The car park was quiet, most people were wearing masks and they also seemed to be sanitising the trolleys.

We then found a path alongside the River Teme which led to the 16th century Tenbury Bridge, the gateway to the town.  








We then wandered round a park known as The Burgage




This was an unusual little tree which looked like a species of conifer.





Then we walked back into town. These clocks were in the window of a pub that looked recently vacated.



We visited the market square

The Market Tavern



We bought some plants from this shop before we left.  They had a very sensible arrangement of payment at a counter at the door.  If you wanted fruit and vegetables from inside they would get them for you.








The Round Market (orginally called the Butter Market) built by James Cranston in 1858. It was built so that farmers' wives could sell butter and poultry under cover.





Holland House built in the early 18th century was once known as the Cross House as it was near to the Market Square cross but was renamed after the Holland family moved in in 1791.












We then had a look round the exterior of the church of St Mary - I'll write about that in the next post!  

When we got back B planted the White Heather and Cyclamen we had bought also some hyacinth bulbs.  




D bought us the Gatekeeper statue - it is similar to the one we have at home.

Still not happy with new blogger as it is taking ages to create a new post and I am fed up of having to left align, change font size and pick paragraphs every time I upload a photo!

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera



9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Such an eclectic mix of styles over many centuries. Good to know the local Tesco is keeping up with the necessary sanitising, which by all accounts has gone by the board here. Our local deli set up a gazebo over the shop door and you hand your order in, or phone it in, and it is all dealt with outside the shop premises. I think now though, with all the bad weather they've reverted, but no more than 4 customers at a time. How will we keep up with this, I don't know. So good to see you are making your garden a gnome from home {Oh, I do love a pun} with the planting.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. I still can't bring myself to even think of going in a shop yet though. Perhaps in Herefordshire but certainly not round where I live. I am still getting stuff online not just food shopping but everything else too. lol :) Love the pun.

Millymollymandy said...

A beautiful town with some magnificent buildings - but I particularly like the very bizarre pump rooms! It doesn't look like you will ever get bored at the caravan with so many lovely places of interest all around. Yes, make the most of October and your visits there! :-) xx

P.S. I stupidly asked you this question in a reply to you on my blog but you obviously didn't see it.... do you know what has happened to Amanda's blog? It has gone private, you have to have an invite to view it. Very odd!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy Thanks so much. Herefordshire and of course South Shropshire and parts of Worcestershire are not far away has some great towns, villages, churches and nature reserves - one of the reasons why I looked there for a location! :) Also my paternal grandparents came from that area and we used to visit a lot when I was little.

So sorry I missed your question - usually I check previous comments and responses when I leave the next comment but I must have forgot. Amanda is fine - just been busy I think and not blogging so much. I don't think I knew she had made it private though? Will ask her and get back to you.

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymany - Just remembered why - it was sometime ago. Can I send you a twitter dm to explain??

Millymollymandy said...

Yes, go ahead with the msg. I don’t get notifications from twitter so I’ll look out for it, but if you ever want to get in touch in the future,you can use the Blogger Contact Form on my blog, that comes through to me as an email. It’s somewhere on the right sidebar along with the About Chateau Moorhen etc pages.

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - thanks so much will send message in a few minutes. Thanks for info on Blogger- I have an email address under "about me" I think if you need it. However, I don't check the email that often about once a week or more if I remember.

CherryPie said...

A lovely home from home place :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.