Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 28 October 2020

Recent Reading

 


The above book was very good and a great introduction to churches if you are new to the subject. I have several similar books but each one has something different to offer. To be honest I would have preferred the "proper" book but B moans if I add more to my collection!





Up until now I have loved this Stephen Booth series but I really did struggle with this one and even scan read very quickly some sections.  In the middle of a pandemic I really do not want to be reading about a murderer obsessed with body decomposition not to mention graphic details of some funeral parlour and crematorium procedures.  I have uploaded the next in the series which I hope will be better.  I am just too squeamish a person to read a novel like the one above!




Still enjoying the above series immensely.




J R Ellis a new author to me (thanks Rosie and I think Pete too).  Another book I enjoyed and found hard to put down. Will certainly be reading more in this series.




I couldn't put this Priscilla Masters down either and finished it in just a few days. Not going out much (at least when at home) I am finding I am reading a lot!



Sorry not sure what I did there to left align photo!  This was another book read quickly and probably the best so far in this series. Thankfully, there are still many more to read.




Every so often a book comes along when I just know I have to buy the hardback as soon as it is published and this is one of them. I have loved every one of Matthew Oates's books and this was no exception.  If you love butterflies and especially if you are obsessed with the Purple Emperor you will adore this book.  It is a book to treasure.




This is the final book in the George and Molly series and, whilst not as good as the Shetland and Vera books, I have enjoyed them.




Another book where I would like to have the "real" book rather than the Kindle version. One of the excellent "Shire" Books and I found it very informative.  I really do miss visiting churches and cathedrals as I have been inside so few this year but it is always good to read more on the topic.


I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.


18 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I would be skimming those passages too! I want to read Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, but it's been on my General Reading wish list for two years as I think you have to be in the right headspace, and right now that's not happening!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. Even in normal times I would have found the Stephen Booth hard to read. I missed out a book in the Wesley Peterson series in March called The Plague Maiden! At the minute I read to "escape" not to be reminded! Burial Rites sounds best avoided atm!!!!

Edward Evans said...

I'm currently reading the excellent 'My Garden World' by Monty Don. A great book, published this year

Ragged Robin said...

Edward Evans - Thank you and the Monty Don book sounds good! I've been watching him on tv more this year.

Bovey Belle said...

I prefer real books too, though I have a few on my Kindle. Of course, the real books take up so much space and I have had to have a stiff upper lip and get rid of 35 boxes (so far).

I like Ann Cleeves but Idon't think I have read any of the George and Molly series. I like all Kate Ellis's novels so will have to look out for that one.

I read the J R Ellis one recently and will look out for more of his.


Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. Main reason I use Kindle for fiction is so that it saves book shelf space as you say.

I don't envy you clearing out books. I got rid of hundreds, mainly fiction, a few years ago. To be fair most I wouldn't have read again but some I do regret getting rid of!

George and Molly books written, I think, before Shetland and Vera, where Ann Cleeves was honing her writing. I birdwatch a lot but there is a lot of birdwatching in many of the books which may not appeal to everyone although I enjoyed it :)

The Quacks of Life said...

keep smiling :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much Pete - and you :)

Pam said...

I have really got into the DCI Banks series this year, i've picked up quite a few of the books in charity shops, I think having them set locally makes them more enjoyable too!

I very cleverly left lots of space on my new shelves so I can sneak books in without my husband noticing :D

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you - glad you are enjoying the DCI Banks books too. Thanks mainly to Rosie I am over the moon I discovered the crime genre about 5 years ago - I find the books so easy to escape into which is much needed atm!

That was a good idea re: bookshelves. I rammed my new bookcases full to keep as many as possible. Now of course I have a problem!!!!!

Pam said...

Crime/Thrillers and Horror have always been a favourite of mine, they really are a good escape, i've ploughed through so many this year! Luckily my husband isn't really too bothered about the books, which is a good thing really, I bought a dozen at the charity shop last week :0

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Yes they are a good escape. Not that I ever solve any of them! I keep finding new good authors to read to so as I finish one series I can always find another one :) lol: re the dozen!!! OH doesn't read much either and can never understand my need to be surrounded by books!!! Have taken a shelf full to the caravan so have freed up a tiny bit of space although already not really any left!!!! I'd have a huge book case in every room if I had my way! :)

Pam said...

I have a lot of American crime authors that I read too so if you need any more recommendations let me know, quite different to the UK ones of course though! My husband doesn't read, he's tried but.... A book case in every room sounds good to me!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much and yes please do recommend some - but nothing too gory!! The only other bookworm here is my son and he has a lot but there again he has a big bedroom so loads of room for bookcases without upsetting anyone else!

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, RR, for your recommendations here, which I always value and enjoy. This time it is the Matthew Oates book that particularly grabs my attention, particularly since he was kind enough to confirm a sighting of a female P.E. for us some years ago. The butterfly had shown up in an area where apparently there had been no record for a long time.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. The Matthew Oates is probably so far the best book I have read this year. That is thrilling to get a sighting of PE in an area where there haven't been records for ages. I bet MO was pleased :)

Pam said...

Hmm, the American authors tend to be a bit more gory I think and of course do differ quite a bit from the UK authors, perhaps try Faye Kellerman, the Decker/Lazarus series, Tess Gerritsen, Rizzoli & Isles series, Sue Grafton Kinsey Millhone series?

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. I am a bit squeamish!! Thanks for suggestions will check them out on Amazon Kindle books and try one :)