Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 7 October 2020

Another Trip to Herefordshire - Part 3: St Mary's, Tenbury Wells

 

St Mary's, Tenbury Wells was restored in 1865 by Henry Woodyer and parts of the 14th century nave were left untouched.  The West Tower is late Norman.  The church had been previously rebuilt in 1772-76 due to flood damage.

The church was open but again only for private prayer so I wasn't able to buy a church guide and find out more information.  Sadly, I don't yet have a Pevsner for Worcestershire.









South Porch














West Tower










A nice selection of watering cans - I rather like the lilac one :)


















After leaving Tenbury Wells I managed to persuade B to visit St Mary's at Burford a few miles away which has a family connection which I'll write about in the next post.

All photos taken by me with the Pansonic Lumix FZ330














5 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It must be so very frustrating, I understand why you wouldn't want to go inside, but at the same time I wonder how many are using these churches for private prayer. There never seem to be many about, if at all. I take it the watering cans are for watering the graves? I hope no one tries to pinch them. Very trusting.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. I suspect the churches are probably empty but I think areas can be roped off. For example, as the door was actually wide open I went in the one at Burford (see next post when I've done it!) but the prayer area was by the font only and rest of nave and chancel roped off. There was a note on the door to say you cannot access the monuments. I couldn't even get a photo of the font as it was surrounded by tables selling produce like apples, homemade jams and marmalades. I did buy a couple and some cooking apples. Gloves on and much hand sanitiser applied!!!! The only person in there was someone cleaning the chancel area - quite a way away. I think that must be the reason for the watering cans. I am seeing them quite often at the moment in Herefordshire churchyards. Actually the churchyard Burford was quite busy - I saw two men working to clear areas etc. Perhaps Thursday is the day they do church cleaning work/gardening?

Bovey Belle said...

What a shame you couldn't go in to see the inside. A nice little church all the same. I am hoping once we move, we will be able to explore a bit (but it's not going to be Herefordshire now, we are staying in Wales but moving up towards mid-Wales a bit more.)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. I could have had a peek possibly to see if it was empty - just not overkeen on touching door handles and going inside buildings. Very difficult to know what to do when they say open for private prayer as I don't think that includes church crawlers with a camera! Some churches make it clear if they are open too for casual visitors who want to look round.Will you be any nearer Herefordshire in mid-Wales?

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - just re-read the little notice on the door and they mention there was a restricted area open for prayer so I suspect you couldn't just have wandered round at will.