Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 7 November 2023

Recent Reading

 The Miss Read books are a calming easy read. I can't believe I got rid of all the Thrush Green and Fairacre books when I had a fiction paperback clear out and now I'm having to buy them all again for the Kindle!





Another good Mitchell and Markby book.




Another Miss Read book - I shall soon be through the series. To be honest for some unknown reason perhaps because it was a 99p offer on Amazon I bought a pyschological thriller.  Its good but somewhat unsettling and chilling and not the thing to read at bedtime especially when you have  trouble sleeping anyway!



I've been reading this book at the caravan.  Alfred Watkins who is perhaps best known as the author of "The Straight Track" about his discovery of Ley Lines was a man of many talents including photograpy.  This book contains many of his photos and also an unpublished manuscript called "The Masefield Country" with reflections on the poets John Masefield, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and William Langland who all had connections with Ledbury.




I always enjoy Wesley Peterson Novels and this one was particularly good.




This shortish book published by Little Toller is a collection of prose and poems on the fell walls of Cumbria.





Another Miss Read!   I fear there are not many left in the series.  I will re-read the Lark Rise to Candleford books next.




This is the pyschological thriller book I mentioned above. I finished it in a couple of afternoons. I have discovered this genre is not really for me - too chilling but the book was very very good. The end is full of suspense and there is a twist  although the author does give a clue so I had sort of worked it out.  



I realised recently I hadn't read the next in this series which has been on the kindle for ages.  Not my favourite series but nevertheless a good read.




I do like Shire Books - they give a good introduction to a subject. I would have preferred the "real" book version but book shelf room has now completely run out on the bookcases and I can't double stack any more!



The pumpkin carved for Halloween at home.  We had pumpkin pasties for tea and I also made some Spider muffins.





11 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I do so enjoy the Miss Reed books. Pure escapism to a relatively worry free time. Just what we need in today's troubled times. I'd better not tell you what I paid for mine on Kindle, though. I got the whole lot for about a Fiver. They were on one of the deals of the day. It does pay to check Amazon frequently if you are looking for particular books... I've bought all my Maeve Binchy ones for under a pound each too!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. That was a bargain for the set - I pay that for one book! Not sure why they are so dear as they are so old. I've got bargains with other series though. I took so many old fiction books to the charity shop that I now regret. Shelves of them - to make room for my all non fiction and reference I only kept the "classics" and books I really love fiction wise.

Bovey Belle said...

Some good reading there. I am proving very hard to please at the moment - want to really escape into a book, and if it is badly written (picked a few up cheaply from the Co-op charity corner which hit that button) I abandon it. I have better things to do with my time. I have a few books on Kindle, but always forget that they are there! I am toying with the possibility of re-reading another Barbara Erskine's (Whispers in the Sand).

Your crime/thrillers look good.

Rosie said...

My Mum had lots of Miss Read books which I passed on to one of her friends, the last thing I bought her was a Miss Read audio book on tape which she was enjoying when she was taken to hospital, I listened to it on the way back home from her funeral. Sorry sounds maudlin but it isn't really just a memory. I know it was about Thrush Green and retirement but not sure which one. I like the cover of Beyond the Wall, I'm reading the latest Strike novel by Robert Galbraith at the moment, I can only read in the afternoon light as the print is quite small and my magnifying glass isn't quite up to scratch. Love Lark Rise to Candleford - I have an old paparback copy and an large, hardback illustrated one somewhere:)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I must admit in the main I stick with tried and trusted authors just occasionally trying a new author. I am trying to clear my backlog on the kindle.

Rosie - Thanks so much. That was a moving idea of yours to listen to the tape on the way back from the funeral. I know my mum before she got alzheimer's liked reading especially Maeve Binchy. There are a lot of books in the Fairacre and Thrush Green series. I was a bit disappointed in the Beyond the Wall book - it wasn't really what I imagined. I haven't read any Robert Galbraith and I seem to enjoy the authors you read as you have given me so many ideas over the years so I will check his books out. I have an illustrated one of Lark Rise too somewhere and a paperback plus I bought it for the Kindle as its one of my all time favourite books. Small print is a pain to read. I find some of my magazines I can only read in the daytime as some of the print so tiny :(

Sal said...

I have all of the Miss Read books and have read them again and again! So simple and so idyllic. I have always said that I would’ve loved to have taught in a village school such as Thrush Green or Fairacre! Such easy reading but so appealing! And an escape! I once met the author,Dora Saint, at a book signing. There’s an obituary here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/apr/12/miss-read

Ragged Robin said...

Sal - Thanks so much. Yes I agree the books are simple and idyllic - the type of villages it would have been lovely to grow up in. Thanks for the obituary. I will read that.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Seeing your book on Cumbrian fell walls (intriguing) you may like Wild Fell by Lee Schofield which this year was awarded the Richard Jefferies Award for natural history writing. A little more here in this link. http://www.richardjefferiesaward.org/p/2022-wild-fell-lee-schofield.html?m=1

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew and for the mention of Wild Fell - my daughter bought it me for Cmas or bday and I loved the book. Talking of Richard Jeffeies Society - I am still a member and Lee was giving a zoom talk last week.Sadly its been postponed as there were problems due to the storm in his area but I will attend the re-arranged one. He is doing wonders in that area :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Oh that's interesting as I was also logged in to that Zoom lecture which was postponed. I shall look out for you when it finally happens.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks Andrew. I would wave but sadly my desktop doesn't have a camera :( I am looking forward to it. I only discovered the wonders of zoom about a year ago and love all the talks you can attend. I wish I had found it sooner!!!