Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 14 November 2023

A Wander Round Coleshill

 

D and I went a wander round our nearest market town, Coleshill, at the weekend mainly to visit our favourite second hand bookshop - "Books Revisited".

I usually manage to park by the church in Church Hill.













There are some lovely independent shops in Coleshill.














I usually buy the Christmas wreath for the front door from this florists but that won't be until next month!




I just bought a few Christmas decorations for the tree from the bookshop although there were a couple of new books I was quite keen on which if they are still there I might buy another time.  




Lychgate leading to the church decorated with poppies for Remembrance Sunday.










I've done several blog posts on St Peter and St Paul Coleshill Parish Church in the past - this is the West Door.










Crocheted poppies have been used to create a display at the church.







War Memorial







I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.  (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


13 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Would you consider it an unusual thing to see the lychgate decorated like that? Just this afternoon, a few of us were commenting that we haven't seen any yarn bombing about lately. I love places such as Coleshill full of independent shops.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much Debbie. I think its the first lychgate I've seen that has been decorated. I haven't seen much yarn bombing recently either. I think its one of the reasons I love Herefordshire so much as so many towns have lots of independent shops :) Apart from Coleshill have to travel much further at home.

The Quacks of Life said...

Coleshill looks lovely ! like the decorations on the lychgate :)

Rosie said...

Coleshill looks a lovely town and it's good that you are close enough to visit often. I love places with lots of little shops, I wish all high streets were the same. The poppies are lovely:)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks :) I don't think I've seen a decorated lychgate before!

Rosie - Thanks. Its very close to home so a good place to get a market town "fix"!! Only place near us with some independent shops sadly.

Bovey Belle said...

Coleshill looks a lovely town with interesting shops. Hay has lots of independent shops - they make such a difference to a town. Beautiful poppy decorations for Armistice day too.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. Hay is very good for independent shops :) Discovered another town recently that apparently has loads and we've only ever driven through and that is Kington.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Oh I wonder what the Green and Yellow heritage trail is all about...I feel a bit of research coming on 😻

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much. Here is a link with a bit more info (you may need to copy and paste though) https://coleshilltowncouncil.gov.uk/about-coleshill

I've never done the tour tbh but reading the above just learned there is a rare Edward VIII post box there which I will have to seek out! The church iteself though rarely open is full of interest.

CherryPie said...

The poppy displays are lovely :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.

Millymollymandy said...

Love the crocheted poppies - they could do something similar on a Xmas tree shape and it would be stunning!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - thank you and I agree with your idea. I did see a Cmassy one at Balsall Common but didn't have my camera with me and my phone camera is rubbish. Sadly I didn't have time to go back and get a photo.