Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 23 November 2023

Herefordshire 2023 - November Visit - Part 2: Tenbury Wells and Burford House Garden Centre

 

B is still looking for a plinth for his sundial so on the Wednesday we went and had a look around Tenbury Wells and then onto Burford House Garden Centre.






An impressive looking boot scraper on a doorstep.



There were sandbags piled high everywhere - I know the River Teme there is very prone to flooding.












We went to have a look round the small antique centre we visited last time - it has the most amazing selection of objects!  Sorry Christmas is rearing its head again!












A rusty iron bedstead anyone?





A Green Man :)




I felt so sorry for this teddy bear languishing on the shelf - but a purchase would no doubt have put Timothy's nose out of joint!

















We bought some cheeses from The Smiling Goat - somewhat expensive but they have a super collection and even had some Perl Las! The most delicious cheese ever!











The Spa and Pump House



Then onto Burford House Garden Centre

I have really missed visiting the gardens here - B hasn't been keen since they started to charge. I have decided that next year I am going to  buy an annual pass - at £15 as a concession I think its a bargain. To be honest I am surprised the gardens were free to visit for so long - they really are lovely and the volunteers do an amazing job of keeping them looking wonderful.





I know I said I don't "do" Christmas before December but it was hard to miss the displays at the nursery!





I've did a double take on these things! - perhaps the present for someone who has everything!






Callicarpa - I can really recommend this shrub - Blackcaps love the berries!  








EEK!  Not my idea of a garden ornament!





But I would love one of these - a Gryphon I think.









B did eventually find something he could use as a sundial plinth - a stone plant pot which turned upside down would be ideal.  If we ever find anything better then the pot could be used as a planter.  I'll show a photo in the next post.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone ever wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


11 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It's taken B a while, hasn't it?
Keep Calm and Carry On, for in five weeks it will nearly be New Year and Christmas will be over and done for another year. It's not Christmas bugging me but Black Friday which I hate with a passion.
I wouldn't want that cobra either, but I think I've seen worse.
Tell Timothy that Treasure has noticed I'm knitting another jumper. Hopefully a better fit.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Yes its taken years to find something and this isn't ideal! He's talked about making one or taking a stone plinth from home too!

I loathe Black Friday too - vile idea :(

Timothy is jealous!!!!

Rosie said...

Lovely post. I feel sorry for the bears, I hope they find lovely warm homes soon. Christmas everywhere now especially in the garden centres. You saw some interesting things and I'm glad a plinth was finally found and good that it can be reused if a better one turns up. I love the Callicarpa, I saw one recently and wondered what it was and thought that birds would love it:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Yes I felt sorry for them too. You are right - you cannot escape Christmas!!! Callicarpa berries definitely attracts blackcaps :)

The Quacks of Life said...

poor little bear!! have to say £15 is a good price!

best cheese? Baron Bigon ... you need to ensure it is at room temperature :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life. Thanks so much. Tempting little bear :)

Cheese variety rings a bell - will have to ask my son if we have bought it in the past.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Loving the name of the cheese emporium. Maybe it needs a sister shop the Grumpy Ewe selling all things sheep related :-) I'm trying to remember too the name of that wooden contraption which used to be used in a poss-tub for washing clothes - was it something like dolly at the end? Washing dolly maybe? Way before my time of course.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much. Its a great name for a shop and lol re Grumpy Ewe!! I couldn't think of name either! but dolly rings a bell. Before my time too although mum never had washing machine for years - it was all handwash or a boiler then spin dryer!

Ragged Robin said...

Andrew - just googled yes a washing dolly also known as dolly pin, a dolly peg or a peggy stick. Used in C19th!

CherryPie said...

It looks like a fabulous day out. I am not sure I could have left Georgio alone on the shelf...

Our local Butcher sells those BBQ'a during the summer months and this year he a couple of raffles to win one. I don't think he sells them at that high price though!

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. Well if Georgio is still there on future visits..........
The Smiling Goat is expensive!