Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 31 October 2023

Brief Trip to Herefordshire -It Rained!

 


We went to Herefordshire for 3 nights last week.  B had arranged to meet up with friends at a pub near Malvern one evening and it made sense to stay in Herefordshire.  To be honest the weather was either rain or sunny intervals and heavy showers so we didn't go anywhere except to B and Q Leominster to look for a plinth for a sundial and a walk along the river (I didn't take the camera!).  So just a few photos from around the site.

The Herefordshire Oak - leaves are definitely starting to change colour slightly.








The Octopus Tree




The Constable Tree





There are still flowers in the garden - rose, pot marigold plus cornflowers, white and purple heathers and sweet william.








There were several rainbows






D carved a munchkin pumpkin.





The night before the Full Moon




There were a lot of pheasants around the lanes and on the site - sadly I assume its the time of year when they are released for shooting :( I hope those on the site remain there where they will be safe although of course such a huge release of pheasants,  a non native bird, (47 million in 2016) is not good for native wildlife. A subject together with game bird shooting I could rant about for hours but here is not the place!



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


8 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Sorry about the weather, though the sunny bits are enjoyable. I'd love to go to Leominster again but don't feel it's fair on Keith to look around the antique shops without him.

Rosie said...

Know what you mean about the pheasants and other game birds:( Such a shame it rained for much of your stay but I expect it would be restful to stay around the site too. Trees are begining to turn here after a slow start. Great photo of the moon and the rainbows and I love your carved pumpkin:)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

We used to have a lot of guns around here. We also had people breeding birds for release. Pheasant Quail Partridge to name a few. One by one, everyone has either turned their guns in or has is too old to shoot, or has passed away. So what happens? There's no one now to control the burgeoning population of these species.
At least when it rains you get rainbows hopefully. I don't suppose it'll be long now, before you'll be doing a round up of the trees through the year? Cute Jack O lanterns. Did he make anything with the flesh?

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I understand about Keith and Leominster. Hope he is feeling a bit better.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It was good to get away to a peaceful environment with countryside views. There are places we could have gone even with rain but tbh sleeping really badly again and was just too tired to drive.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. We could hear guns in the distance one day:( I know what you mean about control but pheasants are non native and if not released we wouldn't have such a huge population. I know its controversial about shooting species to control them such as deers and grey squirrels but I can't condone it especially not when for sport. Tree round up in the New Year :) No we didn't use pumpkin flesh at the caravan but am now using some here to make pumpkin pasties. I had forgotten how time consuming they were - I think last year I said I would never make them again!!! :) Enjoy pumpkins and Halloween - I know how much you love pumpkins :)

CherryPie said...

Oak trees are always that last trees to display their autumn colours and they hang on to their leaves as long as possible.

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Thank you. We were there last week and the colours on the oak are now changing