Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 14 July 2023

Recent Reading

 

Recent Reading

D and I bought this bat book with vouchers we got for filling in a Sports Survey. Not sure what they would have made my replies though as I never go to the gym and don't partake in any sport. The best I could give them was walking! Anyway the book is brilliant and very informative and useful.




Not my favourite series but I still enjoy these books and they are set in a lovely area.




I really enjoyed this historical novel which tells the story of Katherine Champerowne who was Sir Walter Raleigh's mother. Fairly easy reading and quite unputdownable!




Many thanks to The Wessex Reiver who reminded me of this author recently and I dug out my old copy of this book.  The book relates events in the countryside throughout the year in an area not far from Tewkesbury.  Some of the characters are wonderfully eccentric and this is the book where I got the term "oontitoomps" from!  D and I visited the John Moore museum when we went to Tewkesbury Abbey and it was very good.  John Moore books now seem out of print which is a shame but I am sure the museum had some for sale? I did buy one which was a biography of the author. I wish now I had bought more.




I thought this was the best book so far in this series although I do have to say that the murders were rather gruesome and horrific. There was quite a twist at the end of the book. 



I have been reading this Logaston Press book when we go the caravan and finally finished it a few visits ago.  It tells you everything you could possibly want to know about hops and hop farming over the years in Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire.





A little flower posy picked from the garden.





D made this no bake Strawberry Cheesecake using strawberries from the garden.  Its an ideal recipe if you don't have loads of strawberries.  Here is a link to the recipe in case anyone wants to try it (it was delicious!)  Strawberry Cheesecake



I hope everyone is staying safe and well.



11 comments:

Sal said...

Very interesting reading! The name ‘Champernowne’ caught my eye! It has Devon connections and I actually taught a child who lived in a property with that name, near Dartington! Looks like another book for my list!
The cheesecake looks lovely! Have a happy weekend! 😁

Ragged Robin said...

Sal - Thanks so much. Gosh that is interesting and I wonder if she is an ancestor? I hope you enjoy the book.
Have a lovely weekend too.

Ragged Robin said...

Oops Sorry Sal I meant descendant! Still half asleep :(

Rosie said...

Lots of lovely reading. The bat book looks interesting also the book about Sir Walter Raleigh's mother. I must look for that. I've just read a Peter Robinson book from the library, I think the last Insp Banks book he wrote before he died. I expect there will be no more. The cheesecake looks so tasty, I'll check out the recipe although our strawberries seem to have finished now, we had a glut of them so neighbours had some and I made jam too. Your posy is so pretty. Have a good weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. The author of the Sir WR book is an interesting lady. She lives in Devon and dresses up in period costume to go to events at historic houses etc. That is sad about Peter Robinson and I didn't realise he had died. Our strawberries have more or less finished now too Rosie. Enjoy the jam :) Have a good weekend too.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

OK you succeeded in making my mouth water with that last shot. On books I just read "The Next Victim" by Helen Durrant, really good read, I just got the next one in the series as well. I know you have a few books on Churches like me and I just realsed tha in one Oxordshire's best Churches that I have visited around two thirds of the ones mentioned in the book. I hope to visit the rest. I also have four to visit on my little quest in Wales. No I must stop drooling over that cheese cake

Ragged Robin said...

BillyB Blue Eyes - Thanks so much and lol!!!! sorry. Don't mean to rub it in but it was delicious and well worth making :)
Gosh I read a Helen Durrant years ago - I must look again at her books - thanks. Gosh you have done well with church visiting. I still have SO many in Warwickshire and Herefordshire I want to visit and also revisit!!! I wish I still had my own car as it was so much easier just to go out.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Well, my friend, you can't complain about having a book for nothing just for answering a few questions, even if all you feel you gave them was walking. Very valid form of exercise. and probably a lot easier on the body than running. I recently received a £50 Amazon voucher. came in very handy. However, the Tesco's voucher I recently received not so handy as it has to be spent in store.
D's strawberry cheesecake looks absolutely delicious.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. The form didn't take long and for completing it they sent a £5 voucher each and one of the shops that took them was Waterstones. Those vouchers you can only spend in store are a right pain :(
Thanks re: the cheesecake.

CherryPie said...

The cake looks amazing.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.