Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Coleshill - Church and Books


D and I paid Coleshill a visit recently mainly to look round the second hand charity bookshop - Books Revisited.

This is the Coleshill Pillory and Whipping Post which is unique in Warwickshire and it is a listed monument.  It was first located by the market hall in 1708 but was later moved to Church Street.  It was last used in 1863 to punish two felons for drunkeness. 






This hardware store has been in existence for many decades.









The above is an archive photo from a previous visit when they were raising funds to save the shop. Thankfully they were successful.


Coleshill Parish Church - St Peter and St Paul

Edit - just seen the snow!  This is another old photo of mine as I didn't take a picture of the whole church this time.





Before we left I had a wander round the outside of the church which was built mainly in the C14th/C15th.

































The church is usually closed although I think it may be open for a few hours one morning a week but if you would like to see inside please see Christmas Tree Festival at Coleshill Parish Church


War Memorial















I took a photo of Warwickshire's Bear and Ragged Staff while D popped into Morrisons.




A circus used to visit Coleshill regularly in the early 20th century and on one visit the circus elephant died in 1910.  It is buried in Coleshill under what is now the site of Morrisons.




Here are the purchases from Books Revisited.  I was pleased to see they still had the Bewick book as I had resisted temptation on my previous visit and regretted it.  I let D have the Mythic Bestiary book.




In other news I am afraid the building work continues unabated in the adjoining semi detached house - its been nearly 11 months now and I can see it going on for another 6.

Out of the blue we had an email from the owner  asking for access again to re-put scaffolding up on our patio to do more work on the perishing roof and replace the missing tile which fell on our greenhouse roof breaking one of the panels. No apology for the inconvenience or details of the actual work (as mentioned above) in the original email. So B wrote back and asked for details of work and why yet again they needed to access our land. The scaffolding was up for 10 weeks last winter and it was awful - no privacy at all and a real intrusion let alone the worry over security of our property. In any case the roof work should have been completed when the scaffolding was up before.

Anyway he finally sent details (see above) and B reckons 2 of the jobs can be accessed from their land anyway as to the missing tile it is on the wall of the loft extension dormer roof which does not have planning permission and  in actual fact the Council put in a specific condition in the approval that there should be no dormer window in the loft or any extra windows at the rear (in fact there are now 6 extra windows at least).

To cut a long story short B emailed him yesterday to say we were not prepared to accommodate the request at the present time as the patio is full of pots of vegetables as is the greenhouse.  

As you can imagine I am back to sleepless nights over the whole nightmare - we did go to Herefordshire for four nights last week to get away from the thumping, banging and drilling so I'll write about that visit in the next two posts.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks.


8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I'm so pleased to hear they saved the bookshop and even more pleased that your book was still there waiting for you Somethings are meant to be! Equally, I'm so sorry to hear that your troubles are still continuing with the building. I can't begin to imagine it. It was bad enough here when I was, as I call it, the filling in the building site sandwich when I had buildings going one either side of me for over 12 months. Looking forward to hearing all about your latest visit to Herefordshire

Sal said...

Books and a hardware shop! That would suit both myself and my other half! I could spend all day in a bookshop! The Bewick book is a lovely book! 😁

Rosie said...

I do love a good hardware shop and a good book shop too and it looks as if Coleshill has both. Glad the bookshop still had the book you wanted. The work next door sounds horrendous and seems to be going on for ages. The fact that they want to come back to re-do work sounds like the job was done badly the first time. Glad you were able to get away for a few days, thank goodness you have your peaceful retreat even though what is happenng at home must be a constant worry. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much Debbie. I don't know how you stood it Debbie - our worry too is if other neighbour does what her daughter wants she will move and whoever buys her house could do the same there! Although thankfully it wouldn't be the adjoining semi this time.

Sal - thanks so much - you can't beat a bookshop for browsing and buying :)

Rosie - Thanks so much. Yes we suspect bad workmanship next door being the reason as they apparently have to re-do work on other parts of the roof too! From what I have seen they are not very professional - no health and safety, no risk assessment etc etc!

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely church and a great bookshop and so pleased that "your" book was still waiting for you. We've all walked away from a special book and regretted it!

As for "next door" - I feel they are going to get a shock when the house is assessed and they are found to have infringed planning regulations . . .

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Quite often happens to me with books - a few months back the same shop had the full version of Flora Brittanica and I only have the concise version. I resisted, regretted, went back and it had gone!

Thanks re next door. I doubt it will be assessed believe me there are a lot of houses round here with extensions etc that do not have planning permission or what they have built is entirely different from approved plans. I think planning have just given up with the area.

CherryPie said...

The village looks lovely :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - its a nice place to wander and close to home.