Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 28 July 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (9) - Part 1: Hatfield and Bromyard

 So back to Herefordshire for four nights.  Although the weather forecast wasn't good we had to be there for a boiler service and gas safety check with British Gas on the Friday. Also it was good to get away from thumping and banging next door and have lovely views from the windows and total peace and quiet. I am just so thankful we have this refuge to escape to.

We travelled on the Wednesday and did the usual click at collect at Morrisons in the afternoon for food shopping. The site was lovely and quiet with only one other car way up the hill.


I love the old British Rail County Posters but to be honest a poster sized reproduction of the one for Herefordshire would have been too large so I was thrilled to see this print in Rossiters - its a bit bigger than A4 size. I've found a place for it too - on the fireplace below the clock.




My favourite trees were looking very similar to the last visit.

Herefordshire Oak



Octopus Tree




The Constable Tree




The Campanula was a good buy as it just keeps on and on flowering.






I bought a set of these vintage style plant labels from Brigsty Vintage Centre and gave some to D for his birthday and kept a couple for myself.




The mini alliums I bought on the last visit.








D wanted a small barbecue to use at the caravan for one of his birthday presents.  They do have a lot of strict rules on the site but I checked recently and you are allowed to have them as long as they don't bother other residents. Well as there was no-one for 100 yards we had a small barbecue on the first evening.





The two bug boxes recently installed.  B has now planted some of those pink cranesbill geraniums that I call "strawberries and cream" in the base of the pot.






We planted a few wildflower seed mixes in the border under the hawthorn hedge at the side of the caravan and, despite damage by moles!, the seeds are finally emerging and starting to flower including Black Medick and Poppies and this purple flower. I haven't been able to identify it to be honest and am wondering if it could be a garden plant that was included as its good for pollinators?  If anyone can id it please leave a comment.







D's promised to lend me this book when he's finished reading it - apparently its very good.




We now buy our eggs from this Hen House at the site entrance - to be honest we only discovered this year that they do actually sell eggs although I think the sign is new.





Thursday was better than forecast so D and I went to Stockton Bury Gardens which I'll write about in the next post.  Friday was lovely too but the gas engineer was due between 12 and 6 and didn't turn up until 4.30!  So we could have gone out! As it was D and I paid a quick visit to Bromyard to buy some cheeses from the farm shop there. And D managed to get me a photo of the post box topper outside the post office.







On Saturday it rained all day and all evening so it was a day of reading and relaxing indoors. Sunday lunchtime we came home.  I really do hope one day we can stop for longer but at the moment E still hasn't moved full time into her flat and she doesn't like being at home on her own so its all rather problematical.


All photos taken by me and my son with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks.


12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

You had me with all that cheese. Well, you know me and cheese. I think your Campanula looks really lovely. It's full the pot and all that blue, it's just so pretty. Now tell me does Timothy think he's going on a train journey? The trio of trees will no doubt soon be turning colour again. I do like the little dragon peeking over the top of the book!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin -Thanks so much Debbie. I have to tell you that Bromyard Brie is the best brie I have ever had. Nice to treat yourself sometimes to some good cheeses! Very pleased with the campanula I really am. lol! re: Timothy!
I agree about the trees - gosh the year is whizzing by again. The dragon bookmark came from Rossiters in Leominster:) I love that bookshop I really do - I could spend a fortune in there!

Sal said...

I love old railway posters! My mum had an original that my grandad had given to her, which she passed on to me. ( He was a train driver with the GWR) but it was very torn and tatty and although I tried to repair it, it was hopeless really..it needed an expert!
I’m still waiting for my Allium to flower…it’s Allium hollandicum, ‘Little Sapphire’…I’m hoping for great things! 😁

Ragged Robin said...

Sal - Thanks so much. They are lovely things those old railway posters. Lovely you had an original but such a shame it was impossible to repair. You should take it to that programme on tv - The Repair Shop which my OH watches all the time!
Good luck with your Allium. I hope we go back in time to see mine in all its glory! I do like Alliums - big and little :)

Rosie said...

So many interesting things in this post, sounds like you had a lovely visit. Your mini allium looks like one we have in the garden here. I've no idea about the little mauve plant, it's very pretty. I hope someone can identify it for you. Like the look of the cheeses and the book also the railway poster, I love to see those and great to get a smaller one you have room to display. Hope the thumping and banging from next door stops at the weekends:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I am so chuffed I finally have an allium! Thanks re the mauve plant. If no-one can help on here will post it on Twitter to see if anyone can id on there - they have a wildflower hour on Sundays.

Thankfully builders have never come Sundays although they have tried to work on bank holidays until I had a hissy fit. They are supposed to stop work at 1.00 Saturdays but they don't! Just flout the regulations all the time.

Bovey Belle said...

Your mystery plant is Lacy Phacelia - I know as a blogging friend (On the Beach) had one mysteriously appear in one of her pots - turns out it was in a wild flower mix she sprinkled about.

Your other plantings are pretty - the Campanulas here have been a bit hit and miss with the hot weather (despite my having watered them daily in May/June) but now they are perking up again.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so very much for comment and solving the mystery!!! I've jsut googled it. The problem was several wildflower seed mixes were planted and some didn't list species in them as they were just given away at various events. So I was finding it very hard to track it down.

I am a bit worried about the campanula in the pot with keeping it moist when we are not there. Although at the moment it seems to be raining nearly every day so hopefully it will be ok until we return.

Millymollymandy said...

The poster is lovely - great that you found one just the right size! Yes, Phacelia - I had that growing in my wildflower meadows in my old veg patch. It self seeded which was great because the bees absolutely love it. It's often used as a green manure so if winter is mild we see fields of it here if it gets a chance to flower before cold weather sets in.

Your garden is looking nice and mature now and I am reminded that I still need a bee hotel! K made my last one but I left it in Brittany as there were residents.

Enjoy the BBQ! :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much Mandy. Oh goody I do hope it self seeds as its very pretty.
Bee Hotels are I think quite easy to make. But Morrisons used to sell them very cheaply so it was quicker to buy some. Have had Red Mason Bees and Leaf Cutter Bees in the ones at home.

CherryPie said...

There are so many lovely things to see in this post.

I hope you enjoyed your barbeque :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you and yes we did :)