Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 23 July 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (8) - Part 3: Flower Festival at St Michael and All Angels, Kingsland

 

As mentioned in the last post the church of St Michael and All Angels, Kingsland,  was built in the late 1300's.



The small chantry chapel to the east of the north porch is known as the Volka chapel.  There is a tomb recess with an empty stone coffin which you can't really see at the moment as it was covered with a display.












It is not known who built the chapel or why it was named the Volka chapel but one suggestion is that it could be the chantry chapel for one of the Mortimer younger sons who were vicars here. Walter could be the likely candidate and the name Volka is a corruption of his name.

Following the Battle of Mortimer Cross Edward IV (formerly Earl of March) founded two chantry chapels in Kingsland church one for "Our Lady" and the other for St Katherine to pray for the souls of those lost in the battle. Prayers are still said every year in the Volka chapel.






And then into the church to see the flowers.





























Around the font was a Teddy Bear's Picnic. Timothy wanted to join in!








The roof in the chancel dates back to Bodley's Restoration in 1866-68.  He also designed the pulpit and lectern.





The Chancel










Tiles by Godwin








A memorial plaque to members of the Gethin family who died in sad circumstances.  John Gethin who was an architect was only 30, his wife Emily 25 and the children 4 and 2, nurse Eliza Preston and friend Jemima Peace had travelled to Africa in September 1895 in the hope it would improve Mrs Gethin's health.  They were sailing home on the steamship Drummond Castle and as they were approaching an island off the Brittany coastline the ship hit rocks and sank in just 3 minutes.  Only two members of crew and 1 first class passenger survived.  



The East Window contains some C14th glass bearing a coat of arms associated with Maud de Braose.












































I loved this display featuring many books on Herefordshire. I have a few of them and its given me ideas of more to look out for! In fact it could have been embarrassing because at first  I thought they were books for sale and was about to start grabbing quite a few when D said don't do that its a display!





















Plain octagonal font from around 1400.




Old bell clappers




List of past rectors of the church including two of the younger Mortimer sons who were rectors here in the early 1300's.










Some of the lovely kneelers.














I was so glad we had made the effort to go as the flower displays were beautiful and it was a church I had wanted to visit for some time.  We had a slice of banana loaf cake before driving home.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.  I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks.


Reference:

"Tales from Herefordshire Graves and Burials" Nicola Goodwin Logaston Press 2005

"Buildings of England Herefordshire" by Nikolaus Pevsner and Alan Brooks Yale University Press 2012

On the Trail of the Mortimers by Philip Hume Logaston Press

"Churches of Herefordshire and Their Treasures" by John Leonard Logaston Press






14 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I'm having huge problems scrolling on the computer today, so I'm going to have to come back and have a proper look later when it decides to behave. I think I will just bring the photos up in that bar along the bottom and look at them full screen instead. I did see a Welsh dragon on the way down and I think I saw a teddy bear's picnic and something about Timothy wanting to join in? We all know who would like to join him!

The Quacks of Life said...

looks fun! what's with all the bears?

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely church - those floral displays are beautiful. I'm afraid I'd have been like you and thought the books were for sale and grabbed an armful!! As it was, I zoomed in on them and may just have ordered Herefordshire Murders on Ebay . . .

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I am so sorry about the computer problems you are having and I hope it resolves itself soon. Timothy would have liked to have joined in with Treasure!

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much. Teddy Bear's Picnic I think :)

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I was in raptures when I first spotted the books! Ooh goody I thought at least one new purchase!!! Good job I had my son with me otherwise it could have been a trifle embarrassing! I honestly thought it was a sale of second hand books!!!!

hart said...

Wonderful tour of the church and flower show, thanks.

Ragged Robin said...

Hart - Thanks so much and I am so glad you enjoyed.

Rosie said...

Lovely post with so much to enjoy. History, beautiful flower displays so expertly done, beautiful colourful kneelers, books teddy bears. Who could want more. I'm a bit worried about the bear in red who looks as if he is hanging by the neck from the font, I hope you reasured Timothy that all was well:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It was a lovely church and I am glad I got chance to visit it. There are some super churches in that county and so many I ant to see. Eek! re: Teddy in red. Timothy has now been re-assured in case he spotted it when I didn't!!! :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Herefordshire Privies. Now that is a book we all need to read :-) I do like your church postings. I like to wander around churches but still working full time, there are never enough days in the year, therefore reading these posts allows for a lovely virtual experience.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much for your lovely comment and I am so pleased the posts give you a virtual experience. lol re: the Book on Herefordshire Privies!!! There are some supberb churches in the County and I can't tell you how many are on my "to visit" list!!!

Millymollymandy said...

I love floral displays and being inside the church kills two birds with one stone for you if you too enjoy them! I chuckled over you being about to grab some of the books! You are going to need some new shelves soon! A very apt teddy display too.

Sorry to hear about the continual problems with the building next door. You did the right thing not allowing them on your premises, as after all they are doing illegal work and you don't want to appear to OK that.

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy. Thanks so much. There were lots of lovely displays there although if I am honest I am not that keen on big artistic displays. Me I just bung them in a vase!!! :) Oh heck yes. The shelf I use at caravan is full and when I've read them there will be 7 more books to go on there so will have to move a boxed set there onto shelf in bedroom!

Thanks for support re the building work.

CherryPie said...

I love the Teddy Bear's picnic :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much.