Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 29 June 2023

Water Orton Carnival

 


On Saturday 17th June we went along to the Carnival at Water Orton.

To be honest it wasn't my cup of tea - it was so hot and humid and there were far too many people milling around and loud music! But it was nice to see E's flat again and get away from the builders' thumping and banging!!!!
























We left the car at E's and walked to the park where the Carnival was being held. We'd missed the procession which was in the morning but there were plenty of stalls and a few very good ones selling craft and vintage type items.







There were a few fairground rides. You wouldn't get me on this!  I nearly had a hissy fit at Alton Towers on the Runaway Mine train and please don't mention that huge swinging pirate boat it was a dreadful experience!




Two postboxes to add to my collection - there is a hashtag on Twitter called #Postbox Saturday.





I only made one purchase a vintage style blue flowery jug but when I got home the handle fell off the paper carrier bag and the jug smashed onto the stone step in the porch :(  B thinks he may be able to superglue the handle, which is in several pieces!, back on. I'd bought it for the caravan to use as a vase!)

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wants to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).




6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I'm with you on not been keen on carnivals as you say, too loud, too crowded and just too much. Our local parades always seem to have a marching drum band in front of them these days and. to be honest, it just gets on my nerves. All in all too much for me to cope with these days. How odd, I am not a fan of cricket, but I have to say, I really loved seeing the photo of the cricket on the green that you shared. I am so sorry to hear about your pretty jug you bought. Let's hope we can work some magic and make it usable. I don't trust handles on carrier bags. One jot. I always. carry a cloth bag with me. In fact, pre pandemic. I used to carry a carrier bag of bags!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. Tbh wouldn't have gone if I had known what a long walk it was and it was SO hot and just heaving with people. Then to crown it all we hadn't got much cash so B and D left E and I there to go and get some and by the time they arrived back we had all had enough!!!!
I like reallife cricket matches but don't watch it on tv! My Dad used to play for Marston Green when he was younger and held some sort of record for donkey's years!
Right pain over jug - E's bag handle broke too. I normally do have a cotton bag with me but it was in another rucksack :( Trouble is jug has a broken handle and all chipped down one side. You can get them online which may be best option!

Rosie said...

Oh, dear what a shame about the jug, I hope it can be mended enough to be able to use it with care. Like you I find huge carnivals and fairs a bit of a pain, I never liked fairgrounds even as a child too busy, noisy and sometimes a bit sinister. Although Alton Towers isn't far away I've never been inside, even just to look at the gardens which you used to be able to do. Good to visit your daughter though and escape the building noise for a while:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It wasn't overly expensive at £10 but I do like using jugs for flowers. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the word "sinister"! Have you read any of Ray Bradbury's books - he wrote the "classic" Dandelion Wine and fairgrounds feature quite a bit in his books - very surreal or perhaps fantastical!!! We used to go to Alton Towers when I was little too for the gardens. When we last went when the kids were much younger the gardens were still there and proved a haven. The kids went through a phase in early teens of wanting to go to Alton Towers and Drayton Manor :( Not liking heights and getting motion sickness they were not my idea of fun!!!!! I still shudder when I think of the pirate ship - I was just praying for it to end and gripping on for dear life. For some unknown reason I'd gone on it on my own :(

CherryPie said...

I saw some wonderful postboxes on our Windsor visits last year and you have seen my most recent find :-)

We have a Victorian postbox near our local station.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. There are some wonderful post boxes about and I love the ones with toppers.