Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 24 June 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (6) - Part 5: Leominster

 

We came home on Tuesday 6th June  as D had his second exam on the Wednesday. We couldn't have stayed at the caravan for him to take it there as for some reason the internet connection  was very unreliable again. We decided to return in the evening to avoid the rush hour on the dreaded M42 roadworks so in the afternoon we popped into Leominster to buy a few things.




I felt a bit sorry for this little owl made out of shells shoved in a box outside a shop selling for just £1 - I didn't buy it though as I suspect like many people my age I already have far too many ornaments!










B disappeared into this converted chapel trying to find a cheap crate to store items for recycling.



Grafton House is Grade II listed and  dates probably from the C14th with later additions.





































I like Leominster Town Centre and it has a great selection of independent shops.  The family wandered off towards the supermarkets to buy coffee while I had a browse round the excellent Rossiter's bookshop.  I could have spent a fortune in there and did spend more than I intended!















This is a really good stationery shop and I managed to buy some birthday cards.






Hopefully, we will return to Herefordshire soon although I could do with more than 3 days at home  this time to catch up on washing and housework!  

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


9 comments:

Sal said...

I visited Leominster about 15 years ago, as I wanted to go to ‘Utter Clutter’! Is it still there? We also found some tea rooms in the square and a very nice man called Roberto welcomed us. I might’ve even blogged about the visit ..I must look!
I hope that the exams have been going well! It’s much too hot for exams, isn’t it?

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Every time I go through Leominster I want to stop for a look around, especially to see the church.I passed the Barometer shop numerous times. You might want to check my blog later as I visited another of Kilverts

Ragged Robin said...

Sal - Thanks so much. Not sure if Utter Clutter is still in Leominster. I don't remember seeing it. Let me know and send a link please if you blogged about it and I will see if I recognise the shop and tea room!
First exam not good as builders really really noisy that day :( Son's first exam for some years and he panicked and answered the wrong question. Second exam went much better thanks and builders not so noisy!!!! I hope he does well as he has been getting distinction level easily with the tutor marked assignments. He was a journalist but tbh got fed up with all the click bait stuff they wanted hence this degree so he can hopefully change career paths - he is still young enough to do that.

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. The Barometer Shop attracts my OH although he hasn't been in yet. Leominster town centre I found surprisingly good once away from the A road. Some good independent shops and not far away the Priory and The Grange and a nice little park. Much of interest to see there.
Look forward to the blog later and will check tomorrow.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Leominster seems the most charming of towns, a place other towns, such as Haverfordwest, could learn much from. How refreshing to see lots of independent shops instead of endless charity shops and empty storefronts. I'm afraid unless the towns have got a canny Council, then the out of town shopping centres have put an end to the high street. Leominster seems to be the bucking the trend example.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I fear I may have been guilty of misleading a little in my choice of photos - there are quite a few charity shops there! Quite a few second hand/antique shops too. Not sure of empty shops but I can't remember seeing any and there are a few run down buildngs too! But there are a lot of independent shops and also it often seems quite busy when we go and successful. Never been to Haverfordwest I am afraid so I can't compare. I think you may have to go to Hereford for the out of town type shopping centres although I may be wrong there as we haven't explored all of Leominster.

CherryPie said...

I have a collection of owl ornaments so I would probably have been tempted.

But apart from that collection I do have too many ornaments some of which I have removed from display but keep for nostalgic reasons.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I used to collect hedgehog ornaments! and also thimbles let alone the Peter Rabbit and Beatrix Potter stuff. Most now in storage boxes I just had too many of them but as you say you keep them for memories.

Bovey Belle said...

Lovely photos. We haven't been for ages as Keith's not been up to it. Planned to go today and it's raining on and off, but not as much as first thing, when we decided to stay put. Perhaps tomorrow.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. So sorry you haven't been able to get to Leominster recently. It has a lot of interest there. Hope the weather is better for you tomorrow and you can get out. I hope some of your rain spread to our caravan site in Hatfield as I am worried about garden and pots there drying out!!