Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 19 June 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (6) - Part 3: St Andrew's, Bredenbury


Following the visit to St Mary's, Hope under Dinmore,  I drove to Bredenbury and the lovely church and churchyard of St Andrew's. We drive past this church all the time and I have visited this churchyard once before.  

St Andrew's was built by T H Wyatt 1876/7 on a new site replacing the previous village church and the church at nearby Bacton.  The West Tower has a pyramidal roof.

Most of the front of the churchyard with more recent graves is neat and tidy but the rear and side of the churchyard have been left for wild flowers to flourish.






An Oontitoomp! I've been wanting to use this word for ages. Its an old country word for a molehill and was mentioned in a book I have just finished reading by John Moore - "Come Rain, Come Shine".  Oonti is an old country word for mole and toomp comes from tump. Huge thanks to Wessex Reiver for recommending these books. I've had "Come Rain Come Shine" for years and its a wonderful book to read.  Unfortunately I don't have any more books by this author and I suspect many of them are now sadly out of print so I will be checking in second hand bookshops.





Germander Speedwell or Bird's Eye as my grandfather used to call it.



Now we enter the "wilder" area and to me it looks lovely.




Ox-eye Daisies or Moon Pennies galore plus Cow Parsley.


















Loads of Fox and Cubs too - I love this flower.











I was hoping this church would be open - it wasn't - it was padlocked! When I last visited in 2021 it was open for private prayer but I didn't go inside as taking loads of photos couldn't exactly be classed as private prayer.  Its unusual for Herefordshire because after the covid lockdowns most churches now seem open.



Font from Bacton church now being used as a flower pot.







I missed this little mouse last time. A friend who lives near Weobley found it on one of her church crawling trips. So I was determined to find it this time.









This tree was planted last year for the Queen's Jubilee.




Next post will be a visit to another National Garden Scheme Open Gardens.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


12 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Oh what a shame it was so decidedly SHUT. Perhaps a call to the vicar will show when it's open?

Lovely mouse - poor lady wasn't that old was she? Beautiful wild flowers too. I love masses of Ox-Eye daisies together an we have the Fox and Cubs in the lawn and about the place.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. Strange it was shut really as open for prayers during height of covid. Yes thanks - I could contact them . Strange to find 2 in one day shut as you know most in Herefordshire are open.

Very unusual memorial to the lady I thought. I hate going withh OH to churches he gets so maudlin over all the people younger than him who have died! I've bought a Fox and Cubs for here and just hope it spreads! I have collected seeds in the past but not been succesful with them.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I agree, the wilder the better. It looks lovely, but such a shame it was locked. Oontitoomp is indeed a rather splendid word, and well done you on finally finding a use for it! I am particularly fond of using words long since slipped from daily use. I bet Timothy is tickled pink at it and probably giggling away on his shelf!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Seeing wild flowers in older parts of the churchyard are such a joy compared to manicured grass! Timothy is indeed giggling away to himself. He is happy as he is set next to a particularly fragrant rose bud in a vase :)

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rosie said...

What a lovely post, the wild flowers in the churchyard are lovely and the mouse memorial is unusual. Love the word Oomtitoomp, the old word I know for a mole is mouldiwarp, I expect each region has different names for things. We have self seeded fox and cubs growing between the flags and the wall on our front drive, they have appeared over the last few years. Moon pennies have been wonderful this year, they look so pretty in the churchyard:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rajani Rehana - Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much Rosie. Its a brilliant word isn't it. I am driving the family mad every time I see a molehill I shout Oontitoomp! I've heard of mouldiwarp another great name - I love those old country names. I envy you your Fox and Cubs - I know they can spread a bit but that orange colour is so pretty. I agree its been a brilliant year for Ox-eye daisies - they are everywhere and now we have Foxgloves to enjoy too. I think May and June can be so special for wild flowers.

The Quacks of Life said...

how odd the church is locked! I do like the wildness though.

I will have to revisit a few churches when I go back

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. Yes for Herefordshire strange. Bredenbury church is on the main Worcester A road about 5 minutes past Bromyard if you journey that way. Car park next door.

CherryPie said...

I agree the wild part of the churchyard looks delightful :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie- Thank you - I can see the wild flowers as we drive past :)