Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 21 June 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (6) - Part 4: Moors Meadow Garden

 

On Monday 5th June we  all visited a ngs open garden called Moors Meadow only 20 minutes away at Collington near Bromyard. In fact it wasn't far from the first ngs open garden we visited a few weeks ago.  The gardens cover 7 acres and are located on a hillside. They are organic and contain many unusual and exotic plants.  There are many paths to explore as you wander round the gardens.  The gardens have won several awards over the years. They have about 3 dates when they are open for ngs and the rest of the time you can visit by prior arrangement.  The gardens have a website so if you want to read more about them please see Moors Meadow Garden website

Not too much text in this post just mainly photos of these lovely gardens. There are a lot of old garden and farming tools in the garden and many sculptures.

















This was the fernery with a wonderful display of Candelabra Primula.















































This was the lake but it seems to have turned into more of a wetland/marsh.
































I wasn't over keen on this dragon! and Timothy was going nowhere near him for a selfie!





The kitchen garden






There was a particularly lovely garden right by the house








There is a resident blacksmith on site and we were able to look round the forge.








D's photos

*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D



The gardens were well worth a visit and we spent several hours exploring. I would certainly go again as it would be lovely to see it at a different season and looking at the map I suspect there were areas we missed.

Wessex Reiver - if you see this after your comment I did look for a group of gardens in a village but the nearest were in Ross on Wye about an hour away - too far for the family to want to travel. I can't believe I haven't thought of visiting NGS open gardens before!


Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. Those marked *D taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS. (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone wishes to use one or one of my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


10 comments:

Sal said...

What a delightful visit! I love a garden visit. We had a spell of visiting the NGS gardens in our area, a few years ago, and I found them very inspiring, especially those in one of the local villages. They also opened the village allotments and those were a joy!
One of my favourite plants is the Primula Candelabra and I love fern collections…there are so many interesting varieties! Sal😁

Ragged Robin said...

Sal - Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed the garden. To be honest I have no idea whether I have never thought about visiting ngs gardens before. My son would love to visit allotments if they were open.
I was very taken with the Primula Candelabra and as you say a fernery is a lovely idea. We have ferns in our garden at home but scattered around not all in one place.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

This really is an exceptional garden on the NGS scheme, at least it is by comparison to the ones around here. I would have gently nudged you in the direction of NGS had I realised you haven't been using it. You get to see so many lovely gardens not otherwise open to the public. Lovely to see Master Timothy popping up to make Treasure's day for him.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and yes Moors Meadow was really rather good. I'd heard of ngs but as I said in previous comment its not something I'ever thought of looking into! Timothy waves to Treasure!

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely day out and of course, the perfect weather for it too. Lots of new outings to ngs gardens by the sound of things.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. tbh it was a bit too hot for me. Good discovery re ngs gardens and yes I will be visiting more :)

Rosie said...

Beautiful garden, it's good to find new and differnet ones to visit. Both you and D have taken some lovely photos. Great to have a blacksmith's forge to see too, it looks like some of the garden features were made there:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. As you say always lovely to find somewhere new to visit. I think you are right about some of the features in the garden being made at the Blacksmith's.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That's not down the bottom of the hill near the NT place is it. Pretty place to look around. I used to work for a blacksmith when I was 15, I could lift one of those Anvils back then. The guy was my sons godfather, he taught me a lot we ended up living next door to each other. Sadly he passed away many years agao

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. I don't think there is an NT place near except perhaps for Brockhampton? Stockton Bury Gardens is near Croft Castle - this garden is a short way from Bromyard though which is near Brockhampton. Gosh you must have been fit to lift an anvil! Sorry the blacksmith passed away.