Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 25 November 2022

Lichfield

 

We had a trip to Lichfield recently mainly because E was working there for the day and we just wanted to pop in and see her to give her some moral support.

I must admit I do like Lichfield - in fact, in view of the fact that if E's flat purchase ever goes through OH doesn't want to move miles and miles away, Lichfield seems a good compromise for a place to live. However, I do not recommend going into the City Centre on a Saturday as it was heaving with people and not the most enjoyable place to walk round.

We were lucky in the Byrd Street car park as they were queueing all the way round but we managed to grab a space as we were in the right place when someone left!

There is a nice view of the Cathedral from by the car park and Minster Pool.




Lichfield is one of the smallest of England's cathedral cities.  It developed as a town in Anglo Saxon times when Chad in 669 made it the seat of the Bishop of Mercia.

The first church was probably located on the site of the present day cathedral. Being the religious centre of Mercia the town developed quickly.

In the 12th century Bishop Clinton fortified the Close with a wall and encouraged the town to grow with the ladder shaped street pattern that can still be seen today.  In 1291 a bad fire destroyed the churches, friary and much of the city.  The town was gradually rebuilt over a period of time and finally became a prosperous market town and trading centre again.

In 1538 during the Reformation the Franciscan Friary was dissolved and the shrine of St Chad was destroyed. Much damage was done in the Civil War of the 1640's as Lichfield was a Royalist stronghold and there were three sieges which led to much damage being done to the cathedral and surrounding Close.

During the C18th Lichfield became an important cultural and intellectual centre of the Midlands.  It was home to famous people such as Erasmus Darwin, David Garrick, Samuel Johnson and Anna Seward (more info below).

In the C19th the population grew but the arrival of the railways meant that the city was no longer an important stopping point on the coaching routes.












E and I visited the Samuel Johnson birthplace museum and bookshop a few years ago if you would like to see the post please see Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum



A City of Philosophers

During the C18th Lichfield was renowned for its "good conversation and company".  It was a Cathedral City with religious influence in Staffordshire and also an important intellectual and social meeting place.

Samuel Johnson  (1709 - 1784) was born in the house in the photo above in Breadmarket Street.  He moved to London in 1737 and over the course of nine years wrote the first major dictionary of the English Language which was published eventually in 1775. He was a leading literary figure of his time.

Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802) had a successful medical practice in Lichfield and was also a poet and inventor.  His ideas on evolution influenced the work of his grandson Charles Darwin.  I have visited his house also now a museum and if you would like to read the post please see Erasmus Darwin's House  .

Anna Seward (1742-1809) an C18th English Romantic poet often called the "Swan of Lichfield".  She lived at the Bishop's Place and her father encouraged her to write poetry and Erasmus Darwin helped her consolidate her skillls.  Poems were finally published when she was in her late 30's.

St Mary's Church now a library and heritage centre.




Statue to commemorate Samuel Johnson




I saw this by the market and it made me smile!




Statue of James Boswell who was a friend and biographer of Samuel Johnson.














Time for a hot chocolate sitting outside Costa




Waxwing berries








At this stage I tentatively mentioned a look at the Cathedral as I was fed up with the crowds and thankfully B and D agreed to have a quick look.














There was a bit  of drama at this stage - we had noticed a helicopter circling the city centre and it suddenly came down very low and landed in a field near the Cathedral.  I am not sure if it was just a training flight or something more serious.





Gateway in the Old Stables by the Close







Speaker's Corner





Minster Pool



I'll write a separate post on our visit to the Cathedral but at least I spent a little more time inside this visit!


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera (I don't particularly rate my photos but  if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thank you).

Reference: Lichfield Heritage Trail Leaflet




8 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Another interesting looking place you went full of history to see. Look forward to seeing the Cathedral

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. Lichfield is lovely and as you say it has a lot of history.

Rosie said...

As you know I love Lichfield and we visit a few times a year. Lovely to see your photos. I must admit it would be somewhere I wouldn't mind living but that would take us even further away from friends and family so we look to Notts or Derbys which are closer. I see the Christmas Tree Festival runs from this coming Saturday to 2nd January so we will be visiting soon to see them I hope. Look forward to seeing your photos from inside the Cathedral:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Notts and Derbys are both lovely as well. Only problem with Lichfield is finding an older property as so many are new builds on estates which I don't want. Yes I've done a draft post on the cathedral and mentioned you with info on the Christmas Tree Festival. So glad you already know and I will edit the post. I wouldn't mind going either. There is also a nice Light event in the Close and possibly in the Cathedral for about 4 nights but I think you might need tickets for that.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

You have been braver than I! I have not yet had any sort of beverage or food anyway, other than in my own home. Lichfield looks like a lovely place to wander around and I'm so happy that you managed to see inside the cathedral, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have to share on that soon.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Its only this year I have had a drink and/or food outside home - a pub drink, a pub meal, two Costas, tea and cakes a couple of times and sat outside for all of them. I do worry if I am honest but then think if I have to go indoors with maskless people for medical appts I may as well have some food and a drink in a safer feeling venue. Its a big birthday for me soon but its too cold to sit outside and I am not yet ready to brave a meal inside a pub I don't think.

Lichfield is really rather lovely but not on a Saturday!

CherryPie said...

Parking in Lichfield is always a bit of a challenge.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks and yes it is especially at weekends. There used to be a little car park near the cathedral but that has gone now.