Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 14 November 2022

Herefordshire in November - Part One

 


We managed to escape to Herefordshire for 3 nights last week. I really wanted to stay 4 but B is never happy at leaving E alone for too long let alone what might be going on next door :(  I do hope next year we can start stopping for a week - when its just 3 nights its hard to wind down and relax. But regardless it was so good to get away from the noise, dust and disruption and be in a totally rural area. I do realise how fortunate we are to have somewhere like this to visit.

Definite autumn tints now on the Herefordshire Oak.


This hollyhock which B grew from seed has been flowering now for weeks.





The herb pot is still growing well.  We've frozen some parsley and brought some home to dry too.  I am hoping it will survive the winter and next year I will do another herb pot with thyme, rosemary, chives and marjoram perhaps. The good thing about herbs, as well as being good to flavour food, when they flower they attract lots of pollinators so its a win win situation.




After the click and collect at Morrisons Leominster on the first day we stopped off at B and Q as B wanted to buy a garden rake. I waited in the car and took some photos of a beech hedge and conifer cones to keep me amused!!!










Fungi on the lawn at the front of the caravan.



The hawthorn berries have been eaten and as I noticed that a huge flock of Redwings flew over.  In fact they were around the site the whole time we were there as well as a few Fieldfares.

B wanted to concentrate on clearing more of the small garden in the corner so D and I had a day out on our own to new places on the Thursday which I will write a few posts on next. On Friday we went back into Leominster as B thought the rakes in B and Q were dear so he wanted to look in some hardware shops. As it happened he failed to find one so we ended up buying the B and Q one anyway!!I am always happy to walk round Leominster and I did make a couple of purchases :)


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.  (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one or more or any of my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).




8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It's good to get away for a break, even if it's a night or two shorter than you'd like. An opportunity to check the things that are still growing. Your herb pot looks lovely. Ask for the Hollyhock that is such a pretty colour.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Yes any break is better than none and I did manage to take D somewhere he has wanted to visit for a year!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I think I have parked near that hedge on occasion when we stopped to get a few things there. Think it might be a while longer before we get back down there.

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Its a handy B and Q :) Hope you can go soon to yours. Hoping we can go again perhaps twice before closing it down before Cmas until March. Son keen on the Tenbury Mistletoe Festival.

CherryPie said...

I love the faint colour changes on the oak tree.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.

Rosie said...

Good to get away even if for a few days, hope you can go for longer periods next year. The Herefordshire Oak is definitely showing some autumnal colour and the Hollyhocks are lovely. Great to see the Redwings and Fieldfares:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It would be good to start stopping for a week to be honest.