Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 19 November 2022

Herefordshire in November - Part 3: St Faith's (exterior), Dorstone Motte and Bailey and Village

 

After we left Arthur's Stone I did consider a trip to Hay on Wye but then decided that needed a day to itself so we decided to visit the nearby village of Dorstone.

Dorstone was called Torchestone in the Domesday Book but the name was changed to Dorstone due to its proximity to the River Dore.

St Faith's

was rebuilt by Nicholson and Son 1881/90 re-using medieval parts.







The Medieval West Tower was truncated for structural reasons in 1950.









The large oak porch dates back to 1889/90.



I am not quite sure what the ghostly light is on the right as I don't remember it being sunny during the visit.










D spotted these shells which I said were a symbol of St James and pilgrims. Anyway a google search suggests St Faith's is on the Golden Valley Pilgrim Way which is a 59 mile trail and takes in orchards, castles, churches and holy wells.









Different members of the Powell family served as rectors of the church for around 300 years from 1633 to 1953.







While we were looking round the churchyard I noticed a couple leaving  the church and when I tried the door to have a look round the interior it was locked or at least appeared to be locked - sometimes these big old doors can need  a bit of a shoulder shove!  According to the website it should have been open. A lesson to be learnt there perhaps to go inside the church before exploring the exterior!


Dorstone Motte and Bailey Castle

I knew there was a motte and bailey at Dorstone and D does love his castles! So a short walk along a footpath and we were there.  It once had a shell keep but presumably the remains of this have long since been buried. But the motte and dry ditch remain.










It is unusual in that it once had two baileys.

It was probably founded by the de Brito family, one of whom was Richard de Brito one of the knights who murderedThomas Beckett. The castle would have protected a vulnerable valley route into Wales and it was later the main holding of the Solers family.

Either Richard de Brito or his family founded a chapel on the site of the present day of church as an act of expiation for the murder of Beckett.









The Pandy Inn which dates back to the  C12th was closed at lunchtime as was the village shop. Fortunately I had brought a flask of tea and some sandwiches which we ate in the car.











Dorstone Standing Stone on the village green had a sundial added on top in 1812.








Record shot of a Red Kite - we saw many on the Thursday. The nearer you get to the borders the more you see.




Plants in Walls

























*D


*D


*D


*D


I stopped off on the way back to get some photos of the view towards Bredwardine




*D


*D


I got D to take this photo of the Red Lion Hotel in Bredwardine as I don't think I managed one when I visited Kilvert's church earlier this year.  Francis Kilvert, the Victorian diarist, was vicar of Bredwardine church between November 1877 and his premature death in September 1879.


*D


We stopped off at Monklands Dairy Cheese Shop on the way back to buy some cheese. Friday we stayed closer to Hatfield and just had a walk round Leominster which I'll cover in the final post.



I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera and those marked *D were taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera.  (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first. Thanks).

Reference:  Buildings of England Herefordshire by A Brookes and N Pevsner. Yale University Press

Website: britishpilgrimage.org




7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Although originally not exclusive to, the scallop shell is now synonymous as an emblem uniquely associated with the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. We had a very lovely elderly retired lady, a devout Christian and dedicated pilgrim, who did volunteer pilgrimages around our small peninsula with guided walks to all the spots relevant to Dewi Sant. She gave scallop shells to all those who walked with her.

Lovely blog and photos as always, but especially the photo of the red kite! It's always such a treat to see them, It's always such a treat to see them, Even as they increase in numbers, they are still magic.

CherryPie said...

The church looks lovely, it is a shame that you weren't able to go inside.

I do tend to go inside a church first, before looking around the grounds.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumnpkin - Thanks so much. What a lovely story of the lady who lives by you doing the guided walks and giving out scallop shells. I bet those walks were so interesting - did you ever go on one?

I agree about Red Kites. I remember when the kids were very young we went all the Wales to see them but now of course there are so many in England. We've been to the Chilterns too in more recent years to see them and there are occasional sightings round here. The re-introduction is such a brilliant success story. We sometimes see them over the caravan.

CherryPie - Thanks so much. I am still not 100% sure it was locked although my son thought it was too.

Rosie said...

Dorstone church looks interesting from the outside such a shame it was closed. Perhaps someone locked it from the inside after letting the couple out? Just one of those things I suppose. The castle sounds fascinating and the village too. Good job you had refreshments with you as it sounds as if most places were closed, except the cheese shop. Super to see a red kite. we see them here occasionally mostly over the road towards Leek and the Staffordshire Moorlands:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I did dither because I knew David didn't want to go inside even though he urged me to. I think the church had a Victorian Restoration - some of those are better than others! I must admit I usually take lunch as still not keen on going in pubs etc! and its getting a bit cold to sit outside! But D does like going in village shops and seeing what they have on sale. Its so good to be able to see Red Kites now in so many places.

Bovey Belle said...

What a shame you missed the church interior. Sticky doors aplenty at this damp time of year - I had to ask a burley farmer to put his shoulder to the door of a little church I visited last week. It only opened a crack for me and was jammed at the apex.

Must stop at Dorstone - we are normally driving through it on our way to somewhere else. Thank you for the write up anyway.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I am still not sure if locked or just too stiff for me to shove open! Website says it should be open.
Pretty little village is Dorstone and there is a car park by the shop and loos at back of village hall.