Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 22 November 2022

Herefordshire in November - Part 4: Leominster

 

On Friday we popped into Leominster so B could look round the hardware shops etc for a rake. To be honest if I had known how long it would take I would have gone and had a proper look round the interior of the Priory instead.

Some of these photos may be familiar from previous trips but I've tried to find a few new places to photograph.

This sculpture by the car park is a replica of a Ryeland Sheep. Leominster once prospered as the centre of the wool trade and Ryeland sheep were valued to highly that they became known as Leominster Ore. Queen Elizabeth I liked the wool and was given a pair of stockings.














This is a very good model shop and D bought a jigsaw to complete at the caravan.

























Ugh - miniature Christmas Trees sprayed with some horrid fake stuff.  I must admit I don't understand why plants and flowers covered in spray and glitter are sold. Surely they are beautiful enough in their own right.









I had quick look round Rossiter's books and this time gave into temptation and bought a Logaston Press book on the geology of Herefordshire.











We ended up walking up to a small nursery still no rakes! One of these days I would like some chips from this fish and chip shop.






B and D wandered off in search of another hardware shop and by this time I had had enough and walked back to the car just stopping off in an Art Gallery to treat myself to an Angela Harding Advent Calendar.







I spent some time checking the river for Kingfishers - no sign this time but I did have a brief sighting of a Dipper.





B did manage to find a cheap lawn rake but in the end we went back to B and Q to buy a rake for the garden. He is trying to clear the back of the small garden and the soil is hard work hence the need for a decent rake. I don't think the soil is out and out clay and I am hoping the book below will give me a clue as to what soil type we have!





We came home on the Saturday. Hopefully we can return a couple of times before the end of the year before we have to close it down for two months.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone would like to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


10 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Leominster certainly looks like a lovely place to explore. I'm afraid I don't think I would have been able to choose just one jigsaw. There was one photo of quite a narrow alley with what looked like potted ferns or grasses. I couldn't understand why they would semi block the path when it was such a narrow alley. I'm with you on those dreadful miniature trees sprayed with fake snow. My mother was given one once. Believe it or not, it not only survived Christmas, but come spring my father planted it out in the garden, where the rain just dissolved all that horrible snow away, and it grew and grew. In the end it got too big for our garden, and it had to be dug up and given to a friend who had enough land to take it on. I do hope you manage to get back to the caravan a few more times before it closes for the season. You still need to take some more pictures of the Herefordshire oak.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. There are quite a few of those narrow alleyways in Leominster. Coleshill by us has them too. As you say pots don't make sense somewhere so narrow.

I am so glad that miniature tree given to your mum survived once stuff washed off!

I hope so too but as Christmas gets closer always seems a lot to do. But I would like to go back once for a few days and then once again to give it a good clean and "close it down".

At least weather mild so hopefully no need to worry about frozen pipes there. Although we do turn water off when leaving and open taps and flush toilets to get rid of water in system.

I shall miss being able to go for 2 months though but it will soon go.

Rosie said...

I've enjoyed your post, Leominster looks fascinating and I realise that I only saw a small part of it when we stopped there to drop a friend off on our way to Hereford. Definitely a place to go back to and explore more. I like all the sheep references around the town. Good to look in a bookshop and treat yourself. I don't like those sprayed trees either seems an odd thing to do. Glad a rake was finally chosen and that you will be able to visit your caravan again a couple of times before you have to close up for a while:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I must admit we were surprised by Leominster town centre as we had normally only driven through it on A 4oad to Morrisons or elsewhere. Butin town centre hidden away there is a lot to see and many independent shops. There is a large car park just past B and Q.

With covid the one thing I have missed is browsing bookshops! So good to pluck up courage and start going in a few. I completely shudder at those sprayed trees and bunches of flowers tbh - so unnatural :(

The Quacks of Life said...

Leominster is a nice town isn't it. BTW yes there is a stained glass museum at Ely.

Ragged Robin said...

Quacks of Life - Thanks and yes it is nice there. Thanks too re: confirming stained glass museum at Ely. Would so love to go!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

It looks such an interesting town and the number of times I have driven through on my way to Builth I have lost count. We really should stop off sometime to look around and not just at Morrisons.

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. Well worth stopping off imho - there is a big car park just past B and Q. And of course there is the Priory which I still need to have a better look at!

CherryPie said...

It sounds like you had a lovely visit despite missing out on the Priory.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - we do like Leominster for its independent shops and lots of green space near the town centre.