Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 7 September 2020

Recent Reading, Garden and Walk by the River Tame


Recent Reading

I haven't read a Barbara Erksine book for some years - I've had this one a while - bought from the supermarket on special offer. I really did enjoy this book although it did seem a bit long. I think I have got out of the habit of reading longer books.



I saw this book on Rosie's (Corners of my Mind) blog and I always enjoy the books she has in her reading lists. I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I read it in about 2 days!



I forgot to take a photo but also read has been "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths - the latest Ruth Galloway book which had finally come down in price. Another book I couldn't put down! Also finished in 2 days!


I always enjoy Professor Dave Goulson's books and this was no exception. A super book with many hard hitting points about the use of pesticides, herbicides, insectides etc and wildlife losses but also lots of ideas on how to improve your garden for wildlife plus a few recipes. I tried his Apple and Honey Sussex Pudding and it was very good. Thanks to Amanda from The Quiet Walker for recommending.



I am still enjoying the Wesley Peters books. In fact, I think they improve the more you read.






Garden


Some of you will remember me planting Wall Pennywort seeds as I so wanted to have some in my garden. I have come to the conclusion that whatever the seeds were they were not Wall Pennywort - see photo below. In fact, although I planted a few out initially, I haven't yet bothered with these. I have no idea what they are - possibly a type of brassica? "Cabbage Whites" have been laying eggs on them all summer. I am tempted to email the wild flower company and ask them what they think!



Echinops


Moulting robin


I love these flowers - rudbeckia possibly?



Heather flowering in the rockery


Speckled Wood

*D



Recent Walk

Yesterday D and I went on a new walk. We didn't have much time so it had to be local. In the end I drove out and parked by Lea Marston church and we followed a public footpath there that follows the River Tame. Eventually the path passes Ladywalk NR and ends up in their car park. We have often walked it from that direction.



Wild Carrot


There was a little information board near the start of the walk that said you are standing near the old walled garden, home of the Adderley family for 300 years until 1916. Sadly, it was demolished in 1921 so that one of the largest electricity generating sites could be built. This area is now Hams Hall Distribution Park and the footpath skirted the edge of this park on one side.
This I think is the old walled garden behind the gates. It is now home to the


Hams Hall Environmental Centre







We reached the River Tame












Mallard












Mute Swan



*D





Graffiti on a deserted building. Actually this part of the walk was a bit spooky - it was almost like wandering on a site that had been hit by a disaster and abandoned. If I am honest I wasn't hundred per cent happy on the whole walk - the place was deserted which is nice in a way as I like places to be quiet but for some reason it just felt rather unnerving. Some places do seem to have a strange "atmosphere" about them.



Crab apples


Ragwort


Blackberries - we didn't pick any yesterday as B and D has been out foraging on Saturday and brought a big bag home.


Elderberries




Back by the car - St John the Baptist, Lea Marston - I sometimes visit this churchyard in summer to look for wildflowers and butterflies but again it is a place where I can feel a little uneasy especially if I am on my own. The church is at the very end of a "dead end" road that leads from Lea Marston Village so that maybe the reason why if feels so isolated.



This wood now belongs to Hams Hall Environmental Centre (my son went orienteering here when he was at primary school) but it used to belong to West Midland Bird Club and was part of Ladywalk NR. I remember visiting with my parents one cold and frosty winter day many years ago and we spotted a kingfisher on a pond in the wood.





St Peter and St Paul, Water Orton


*D



*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


12 comments:

Edward Evans said...

They are definitely Rudbeckia.

Edward Evans said...

Remember the link I posted last time , www.naturescape.co.uk or something like that, they don't sell Wall Pennywort, but all sorts of other stuff, it's worth having a look through as I have had great success with them.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

No shadow of doubt in my mind, I'd bet a bar of chocolate and a bottle of wine that those are brassicas of some type. Definitely not a pennywort, and I'd be on to the vendors, for you paid good money in good faith for those seeds.
That reflection photo of a mute swan is stunning on your lovely walk. I was going to venture out today, bad weather halted me, now reports of the village absolutely heaving still with no masks and zero social distancing.

Ragged Robin said...

Edward Evans - Thanks so much - I have that site bookmarked so will check it again :) I do appreciate your help :)

Rustic Pumpkin - thanks so much. Luckily I still have the seed packet so I'll send a photo of that and the plants - if I am lucky they may send me another packet. Really disappointed as I so nurtured those seedlings and was so excited as you know!!

Out and about is awful. So I think you are wise re: not going out. Buses full of people and so few wearing masks. Had to take car for a service today and OH said most of people in reception area hadn't got masks on or had rolled them down :( They supposedly sanitise the car after but I have to admit I've re-done handles, steering wheel etc etc with the Dettol anti viral spray. What horrible times we live in. Cases rising awfully too. Next have to consider braving the drs for the flu jab :(

Thanks re: the swan :)

Bovey Belle said...

Just treated myself to the latest Elly Griffiths now out in paperback (and cheap enough - I braved Tesco on Sunday for something from the pharmacy aisle and this was my reward). I was going to wait until I'd finished The Winter Queen but felt so p'd off today, I had a "sod it" moment. I know I will fly through it as I do all her books.

Here in Wales not many people wearing masks (just us who have health issues and still need to shield).

Sorry your seeds didn't come up as Wall Pennywort. It grows prolifically round here, so I could get some seeds for you (probably next year now was I'm sure they've "gone over."

Bovey Belle said...

P.S. I read the Ghost Tree a while back. Not one of her finest.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Next year would be lovely for the seeds if they don't send me a new packet that is! Thank you. Will let you know :) Price for RG book finally came down on Kindle too - you will love it. I thought it was really good. The Ghost Tree seemed different from her other books I thought but perhaps that is just me. Certainly didn't frighten me as much as the older ones but perhaps these days I read more scary books in general :) It must be about time for a new Merrily Watkins book to come out - I am tempted to try reading that series again!

So many people seem so blase now about the pandemic - really quite frightening. Whereas most of the time I am still huddled at home petrified to go out! Do go out more in Herefordshire but places are quieter and rate of infection much lower than round here.

Pam said...

I like the look of the Garden Jungle, it's one to add to my reading list. At least the butterflies have been enjoying the mystery plants........ I don't think the Speckled Wood could have posed more appropriately if it tried :D

Rosie said...

Lovely photos of your garden plants and of the walk you took. It's funny how some places make you feel uneasy and some feel warm and familiar. I'm glad you are still enjoying the Elly Griffiths and Kate Ellis books, two of my favourite writers alongside Ann Cleeves and Stephen Booth and also now Joy Ellis. Glad you liked the Chilbury Ladies Choir book too. I see there is a new Ann Cleeves Vera Stanhope book out and also a stand alone novel by Elly Griffiths both of which I shall look out for:)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. Garden Jungle is really good and so informative. Speckled Wood warming up in the sun on the greenhouse.

Rosie - Thanks. That area always make me uneasy. I used to go horse riding when a child at Lea Marston and if Dad was late picking me up I used to walk along the lane (wouldn't be allowed these days!) and one area by a wood used to make me feel very uneasy! Thanks to you Rosie I have discovered a whole new genre and just loving all the authors you mention. I will look out for new Vera book and also Elly Griffiths.

CherryPie said...

Your walk looks lovely :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.