Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 18 September 2020

Herfordshire: Part 5 - Eardisland

 






After leaving Weobley we drove through Dilwyn and Pembridge although did not stop this time and onto the picturesque village of Eardisland which has lots of timber framed cottages set on the banks of the River Arrow.


We ate our sandwiches in the car park then went for a walk around the village.


Old Man's Beard





This AA phone box dates back to the 1920's and is the oldest apparently in the country. It was restored in 2000.



Does anyone else remember years and years ago how the AA patrol men on their motor bikes used to salute your car if it had an AA badge?








Apples for sale for a donation spotted outside the community shop.





The Manor House - 17th century



River Arrow




Grade 2 listed Dovecote c 1700. Fell out of use in the 19th century and became derelict. It was restored in 1999 and is now open 9.00 - 11.00 am as a community shop.The upper part contains about 850 nesting and roosting boxes







River Arrow - B and E were ahead of me and saw a kingfisher flying along the river and under the bridge. I missed it just like the last time.  😒











We went a short walk along the river Arrow keeping an eye out for the kingfisher but we didn't see it again.





Cross Inn - mostly 18th century. I do miss pub visits but at the moment I don't think I'd even feel happy sitting outside.
























In the future even if we wait until next year I would like to visit more of the villages on the 40 mile (from memory) "black and white" village trail.  This year and in the past we have tended to visit the four we know - Weobley, Pembridge, Dilwyn and Eardisland. We did once visit Eardisley - a village I need to go back to as there is one of the best fonts in the country,  carved by the Romanesque School of Herefordshire Carvers,  in the church.

I didn't go in the church at Eardisland this time.


All photos taken by me with the Pansonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

(I am not sure of the quality of the photos once uploaded - they don't look as good to me but there again perhaps I am looking for it although someone told me that they had to resize all theirs to get a decent quality).

I've also tried to change the background colour from white but in the preview it doesn't seem to have worked so we will see what happens when I publish it!



6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What an utterly charming, quaint little village. I wonder what the origins of the name, Eardisland, are? It sounds more from a fantasy novel than an English village. So sorry you missed the kingfisher, I would love to see one myself.

I think we're slowly getting there with this new Blogger platform and suppose as it's free we shouldn't complain too much, but it is hard work, especially faffing with photos. We'll get there, then wonder what the fuss was all about!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. It is delightful (will see if I can find out more about origin of name but Herefordshire books all at caravan so it may have to wait.) I have seen kingfishers in the past usually at Brandon Marsh but I haven't seen one this year.

Slowly getting there as you say and also a good point about it being free although I do pay for photo storage - not much a month. It hasn't changed the colour of the background though and also there was a huge gap at the end again before comments. Not sure why but had to delete countless lines and have no idea how they got there!

Pam said...

It's so very picturesque, what a shame about the Kingfisher, you'll just have to go back again........

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks :) and yes will go back! Last visit I missed because I had gone to look at the church and this time I was dawdling behind taking photos!

CherryPie said...

This looks like another lovely place to add to my 'to visit' list.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. Eardisland, Weobley, Dilwyn and Pembridge are all pretty little villages with interesting churches. All fairly close to each other too :)