Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 28 September 2020

Recent Reading and Elmdon Manor NR and Garden Produce

 

Recent Reading




The George and Molly series has improved with each successive book in my view.




I have been keen to read Mudlarking for ages and in the end bought the kindle version. I really enjoyed this book - lots of information about London history and objects found by Mudlarkers.



This is the penultimate book in this series by Caroline Graham and, in my view, the best so far.




This is the first book I have read by Ann Granger and I enjoyed it enough to buy the next in the series.



Above a few Rudbeckia picked from the garden. They have lasted several weeks and I did leave dozens of flowers on the plant for any pollinators that may be about.



Elmdon Manor LNR

The first house at Elmdon Manor was built in 1547 and in 1760 Abraham Spooner, a successful Birmingham ironmaster bought the estate for his retirement. He demolished the old manor and in 1785 built a new house but never lived to see it completed so it was his son who completed the building.  The estate changed hands several times and in 1944 Solihull District Council bought the hall and what was left of the estate.  In World War 2 the house was used to home the local home guard. After the war the building was abandoned and slowly deteriorated badly. It was too expensive to restore and today a car park covers the site of the house and what remains of the parkland is now the popular Elmdon Park.

Elmdon Manor LNR, a short distance from Elmdon Park, is important for the mixed habitat of woodland, grassland, large pool and walled garden.  It covers 5 hectares and is owned by Solihull Metropolitan Council and managed by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.

The walled garden was built in the early 18th century and was reputedly the largest in England at about one hectare and it was one of the most productive fruit and vegetable gardens in Warwickshire.  Later in the 18th century the area to the south and west of the garden was landscaped and a pool was created and exotic trees and yews planted.  These areas now make up the reserve.

Usually on the few occasions I have visited in the past this reserve is very quiet and you don't see a soul but like so many local places since March it has become busier and we did see a few other people as we walked round.








Walled Garden  full of old gnarled fruit trees mainly apple.

















A few pictures from the rest of the Reserve









We didn't see much wildlife sadly - birdwise a Grey Heron and Moorhen on the pool, and a Dunnock and Magpie in the wood. No butterflies not even on rotting fruit in the garden.



Garden Produce

First few potatoes




Tomatoes ripening although I suspect I will be making Green Tomato Chutney again this year!







Muffins made from foraged blackberries. The following day we made more from a Tesco online recipe called Surprise Blackberry Muffins which were even more delicious although a bit fiddly to make. They tasted like an Apple and Blackberry Crumble Muffin - sorry no photo of those. If D took one I will try and remember to upload it in the next post.





Not sure why the above photo is to the left and not centred. I have come to the conclusion I don't like new blogger at all - it takes for ages to write a post and I hate constantly having to revert to left align and paragraph inbetween each photo when I insert text! Also for some unknown reason a massive gap appears between the end of the post and the comment part and I have to delete dozens of lines!


In other news we have had a letter from the planning department on those masssive house rebuilding plans for next door and have now viewed the application on line. I won't go into too many details as we shall definitely be submitting our views!  But one thing I really hate is that the planned two storey extension goes right up to the boundary which means from our bedroom window there will be a massive brick wall going up to the roof.  On the ground floor it will go out 6 metres at least and 3 metres on the second floor.  We already have to put up with a 3 metre first floor extension.  I have gone back to the stage of thinking perhaps we should try and move before they start work. It will be horrendous and with all the other building and extensions they plan (side two storey, conservatory and a room in the loft plus new roof) it will take months if not years.  Unfortunately I have no idea when they plan to start work although I do know they plan to move out while it is done.  I suspect too I won't even want to go the caravan because I will want to be here to make sure builders don't trespass on our garden or try and put up scaffolding or cut down our shrubs and trees beyond the boundary.

Sorry to have  a moan but have been in a bit of a state about it ever since I looked at the plans earlier today!



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera except for the last few of garden produce and baking which were taken by D with the Canon SX50 HS.

















10 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

I think from the sound of that half-a-house extention, I would be inclined to move as well!! Hope you can find your dream house soon. We have a couple more to view and have had a brainwave yesterday which we are praying will work out . . .

Everywhere we have been "out" recently has been more busy because people are staying closer to home. Roll out the vaccine is all I can say.

I have a Blackberry and Apple Muffin recipe I use regularly. It has a sort of crumble mix put on top too but I don't usually bother with that.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Whole thing is a complete nightmare to be honest!! Good luck with your further viewings and brainwave :)

All round life is pretty horrible atm :( as you say so many places usually quiet aren't!!

The Tesco recipe had chopped apple in the muffins then when cooked you took the top off each one to insert some blackberry puree you had made replacing the top after.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

So sorry about the news from next door. I know first hand how traumatic that is. The rudbeckia look lovely, so Autumnal. Nothing wrong with a few jars of green tomato chutney at all. I would love if I had tomatoes this year.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I do love Green Tomato Chutney but I have 3 kilner jars left from last year. I did see a recipe somewhere recently that was for frying green tomato slices - still trying to remember where I saw it!

The Quacks of Life said...

the Midsommer books are different to the TV series aren't they! I only read the first one though

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. To be honest I haven't seen the tv series! I found it took me ages to get into the first one as so many characters were introduced at once. The others similar but once I get to to know the characters I enjoy. I think I have only one more left to read.

Pam said...

The walk looks lovely, I think so many places have been 'discovered' over lock down, I kind of hope they'll get undiscovered and footfall dies down a little over the months :0

I'm sorry about the planning you're having to deal with, we have something similar over the road, which was changed slightly and then passed, very very frustrating to say the least. I know what you mean about wanting to stay around and keep an eye on people whilst it's going on.

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks. To be fair I don't think I have been to the reserve at a weekend before and it is very close to a park which is very popular :(

Thanks re: planning. Main problem is the neighbours' semi adjoins ours and I dread to think of the noise and disruption and dust for months on end 7 days a week :( Most of the interior of the house will be altered let alone the extensions etc. :(

Caroline Gill said...

What a beautiful local nature reserve, RR. We have two LNRs near us, and one in particular is good (in season) for butterflies. Those muffins look mouth-wateringly delicious... and I'm envious (I trust in a nice way...) of your wonderful homegrown tomatoes!

However... I'm so sorry to hear that this difficult dilemma continues, particularly at a time when everything is so much more complicated than usual.

And I continue to empathise with you over the new Blogger (so frustrated that I could no longer edit a number of my old posts...). I did manage to insert a new font yesterday, so perhaps we may come round given lots of time......

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you. Mainly trying to stay local at the moment so I don't have to visit public loos or pubs in search of a loo!! We have got back in the habit of growing tomatoes each year and it is fun and useful and they do taste so much better!

Thanks too for kind words. As you say the worst of times for this to happen - could do without additional worries! Not slept at all well this week worrying about the horrors of it all. I shall take a letter round to him if plans are approved saying we won't grant permission for builders on our land (I wouldn't want them in my garden anyway but certainly not in the current situation) and also a reminder he can only cut or chop plants and shrubs and trees to the boundary line!

I know new Blogger is a right pain - a chore now rather than something I enjoy. I suppose it will get easier with time but I still think they should give you the option to carry on with the old one if you wish.