Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 22 March 2020

A short walk in the Countryside


Yesterday I really did feel the need to escape for a while so D and I did the mile circular walk not far from home which we have done many times before and I am sure some of you will remember. It was good to spend an hour in the countryside when for the first time in two weeks I actually forgot all my worries and anxiety and just lived in the moment.


Apologies in advance if some of the photos are a bit rubbish - it was windy making it difficult to take flowers aand on top of that I stupidly didn't wear my wellies so didn't venture much onto the grass verges.




Lesser Celandine could be seen everywhere



and there were several patches of Dog's Mercury also in flower.




Luckily there was now no sign of a flooded road.


White Dead Nettle and


Blackthorn in flower.






Dandelion flowers are appearing now.



This is one of my favourite cottages with a rather charming gate in the hedge.








Record shots (to put it mildly) of a Red Legged Partridge and Pheasant running along the roadside in front of us.




















A flock of dozens of Fieldfares descended in a tree in front of us silhouetted against the sky. i.e. a rubbish picture!



A species of Wild Strawberry - last time I guessed the exact species I got it wrong. I am sure Stray Rambler gave me the correct species but unfortunately I can't find the post to check.



Wild Arum leaves




I hope you are all well and staying safe. I don't know about everyone else but I find I am hardly sleeping - waking up hours earlier than usual and just lying there. I am going to try and make myself wander round the garden each day.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


16 comments:

Rosie said...

It does lift the spirits to get out and about for a walk in the sunshine even if it is on familiar paths. Your photos are lovely - I don't think I've ever seen a Red Legged Partridge other than in photos, they are very fine looking birds, pheasants too. I find I'm waking either at 2a.m. or 4a.m. most nights as my thoughts go into overdrive. Take care and stay safe:)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Glad to see you are able to get out. I had planned to, but we are swarming here with visitors who have failed to heed the government guidelines on travel. No social distancing here, for sure.

Punk Birder said...

Glad to see you got out Caroline and thanks for sharing your walk with us. Lovely to see a host of various species emerging now.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. We once had a Red Legged Partridge in the garden! Rather a red letter day! Once I have woken up whatever time I can't get back to sleep so am thinking of you. Take care and stay safe too.

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. So sorry to hear about your hordes of visitors - why are people so thoughtless and selfish? We did see more people than usual walking round those lanes but mainly dog walkers who kept their distance. Usually you do the walk and see no-one!

Ragged Robin said...

Punk Birder - Thanks so much Dean. It was so good to get out for a few hours and see some wild flowers :)

Pam said...

A lovely walk and to have it close to home too is perfect and much needed right now! Nice to see the Partridge, I haven't spotted one yet this year. I'm with you on the not sleeping :/

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks. Sadly, it is a short drive away so don't think I can go there at the moment :( I think there is a lot of debate as to whether you can drive somewhere local to exercise - have certainly seen one conversation on Twitter - so won't risk it atm.

Still not sleeping here either which doesn't help one's sense of well being :( You have my synpathies.

CherryPie said...

A lovely walk on a lovely sunny day :-)

I can't wait until I can go out for a proper walk again.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I can't wait to get out either - can't even walk round the garden atm as I slipped off front door step yesterday, twisted my foot and landed on it as I fell and now it is all swollen :(

CherryPie said...

I so sorry to hear about your foot. I hope you recover soon.

Take care xx

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - it is slowly getting better but very frustrating! Take care too.

Caroline Gill said...

What a lovely walk to have near you, RR. I have been in self-isolation and confined to house and garden for days on account of immuno-suppressing meds. so it's particularly lovely to see the variety of spring plants you managed to find. I escape to the garden at least once a day to see what's about. There seem to be quite a few bees, which is encouraging, but so far (in this chilly airstream) only two butterflies, both Peacocks.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you - unfortunately the walk isn't close enough to do now. Just glad we did it when we did. So sorry to hear about your medication and I do hope you stay safe and well. I've not been out now for over a week as I suffer with asthma :( Fortunately, my son has been working from home for 2 weeks (he does mainly anyway) and my daughter is on paid leave for at least 3 weeks so we have all self isolated although OH does go for a walk every day. Seeing bees here too - rescued a comatose one yesterday and gave it sugar water! I've seen two butterflies here too - both in the garden - Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.

Take care and look after yourselves.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you were able to have that last walk, sorry to hear about your foot though, has it improved yet?

The weather here has improved enormously in the last couple of days so I am feeling more hopeful now. Remember, all this will pass!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Lovely to hear from you and thank you. I am SO glad we went on that walk! Foot, thank you, is slowly improving but still a bit swollen and bruised. Trying to keep off it as much as I can.

It has been lovely here most days recently although it has gone colder. The sunshine is cheering and brings out the insects. I keep telling myself all this will eventually pass. I just try and live for each day as it arrives and not be too anxious - although difficult. Hope you are ok - stay safe and well and take care.

Ragged Robin said...

John Scurr - Thanks so much John - no need to apologise and it is just lovely to hear from you. I miss your blog but understand - I shall probably just do a post about once a week now we can't go out anywhere!
Thanks re: the Barren Strawberry - I think I saw a photo on Twitter too and your id from last time came back to me :)
Stay safe and well and take care and pleased you are still tweeting :)