Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 7 March 2020

Edith Holden's Centenary Celebration Day in Olton



Two of my favourite books are 2 nature diaries written in 1905 and 1906 by Edith Holden which were published in facsimile format following their re-discovery in the 1970's.












And this is a superb biography on Edith






2020 marks the 100th anniversary of the death of artist and amateur naturalist Edith Holden and today several events are being held in Olton, where she lived for a while, to commemorate her.


Daffodils in the car park.





The first event at 11.30 on the Warwick Road was the opening of a micro garden with Victorian style public benches restored by Olton Residents Association. The Association together with a Solihull Neighbourhood co-ordinator have reclaimed a patch of overgrown land, tended it and created a small garden.













*D



The second event at 11.45 was held at St Margaret's Church, Olton. It was the unveiling of a stone birdbath by the Lord Mayor and the Vicar of the Church. The birdbath commemorates Edith and has been located in a small and peaceful garden. The stone bath has been at several locations in the past (I am sure it was once at Baddesley Clinton) before being put in storage at Packwood House.

























*D

The full inscription reads along the lines of (sorry didn't get the exact order of the words! " To celebrate the life and times of Edith B Holden illustrator, naturalist and animal lover 1871 - 1920"



Edith lived in Kineton Green Road and




the third event at 12.00 noon was the unveiling by the Lord Mayor of Solihull of an owl carved out of an old tree stump by wood carver Robot Cossey. The owl is located just a few hundred yards from Gowan Bank where she lived.






Gowan Bank




Other events today, which we did not attend included the opening of an exhibition on Edwardian life with Edith Holden memorabilia at Olton Library; the annoucement of prizes for a children's painting competition and a concert in the evening featuring the premiere of "The Country Diary in song".



*D



Quite a few years ago I wrote a series of posts called "Following in the Footsteps of an Edwardian Lady" where I visited some of the places in Warwickshire mentioned in Edith's diaries. If you would like to read these please click on "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" under labels. You may have to go back a bit by clicking on older posts at the foot of the page as some of the more recent labels only mention Edith in passing although they do cover areas she visited.



*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon Bridge SX50 bridge camera
Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera





16 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

To see new garden created, no matter how small is always great

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thanks Simon - the volunteers must have worked really hard to create the little garden on the main road and also the one by the bird bath.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

A lovely day celebrating a special woman. I guess she would be a fore runner to Beatrix Potter, without the children's books? I have Edith Holden's books too, somewhere {so many books now}. While I approve of the micro garden, I am not sure I like that it appears to have a central feature of a Phormium. Not my most favourite incomer to any garden, for they grow to an enormous size and are difficult to remove once they outgrow their spot, and not a plant I would associate with Edith Holden. The birdbath and owl are both fitting tributes! The owl is quite spectacular.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I've just googled Phormium and I see exactly what you mean! I particularly liked the own and birdbath and it was nice to see the bird table too in the small garden in the churchyard. The benches that were replaced by the Victorian style ones are now in the churchyard too.

Amanda Peters said...

It was nice of people to get together to mark the life of this lady, stunning books. So pleased you managed to attend, lovely photos.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, I had no idea about this anniversary but am obliged to you for marking it so well.

I remember, very clearly, the series of posts you did on her walks.

Rosie said...

What a super day out and lots of events to attend. It looks like a full day with lots to do. I like the owl and the bird bath. I remember how popular the books were when they were printed in the 1970s. Glad you were able to attend some, if not all, of the events:)

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thank you - so pleased to see her commemorated in this way. I may go to the library exhibition later - we thought it might be a bit busy there as with each event more and more people were turning up!

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much. Its thanks to my son that I knew about it tbh - I think Solihull Council may do other events later in the year.

I am so glad you remember the posts - I had a lot of fun doing them :)

Rosie - Thank you. They had certainly gone to a lot of trouble to arrange the events. Yes, there were all sorts of spin-offs when the books came out - as you say they were very popular.

Caroline Gill said...

What a lovely set of events, RR, and all in all a fitting tribute to a woman who has done so much to influence so many of us by making us use our eyes and ears when we are out and about to ensure that we appreciate the nature she loved and brought to life in her art. I must learn more about her...

Pam said...

Some lovely events to celebrate her, the Owl is stunning! These books are still on my wish list. I'm so behind on everything at the moment! I've just started reading the Gilbert White book though which has been sat on my shelf for some time!

I like the little garden and benches in the middle of everything, it's those kind of spots that I love when i'm walking around towns!

CherryPie said...

What a fabulous day out you had :-)

I love the idea of the commemorative ceremonies.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much and I am so pleased you enjoyed. The biography pictured in the post is really very good and I would think available second hand if it is now out of print. She was a very inspiring lady.

Pam - Thanks so much. The books are I think widely available second hand and I am sure you would really enjoy them. I hope you like the GW book - mine had been on the bookcase for years unread! I agree - it is always good to find little green spaces and gardens when you walk round towns.

CherryPie - Thank you - I am so pleased Edith has been commemorated in these ways.

Bovey Belle said...

I'm so glad she is still remembered, and so appropriately too (what a stunning carved owl). I will confess, I still have her books too and they are still amongst my favourites.

I'm glad you went along to take photos. I will have to look up your old posts.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you so much. Her books are among my favourites too :) Hope you enjoy the old posts.

Caroline Gill said...

Yes thank you, RR, for the biography tip. I must get a little nearer to finishing my TBR pile, but it will certainly be added to the list!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you. You would enjoy the biography I am sure :) Have a big tbr pile here too and also on the kindle!!