Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 15 March 2020

Recent reading, garden wildlife and latest knitting project.



We live in a very worrying world at the moment. I do hope everyone is well and ok.


Recently, rather than going out unless I have to do a food shop, I've been reading a lot and escaping into other worlds as this is my way of coping with worry.


The first books are all fiction as I continue to work my way through various detective series - thank goodness for kindles where you can buy a book without leaving the house. I really enjoyed all the stories and Hidden on the Fen by Joy Ellis was particularly addictive - I read it in two days and had to keep charging my kindle!!

Tales of Old Herefordshire was interesting full of old tales, legends and folklore.


























I have been waiting for "Orchid Summer" to come out in paperback and bought it a month or so back from Kenilworth Books. This is the story of the author's quest to spot all species of British orchid in a year and it also contains loads of information on orchid species. Highly recommended - I loved this book.


Another book on the subject which I read a few years ago called "The Orchid Hunter - A Young Botanist's Search For Happiness" by Lief Bersweden is also well worth reading.


I bought Timpson's Country Churches secondhand some time ago from Astley Farm Bookshop. I really enjoyed reading about the churches he had visited - he has a wry sense of humour and there is lots of information about each church and many excellent photos.





Garden Wildlife


This jay visited the garden twice last week perching in the whitebeam tree. My son managed to get a few record shots.


*D



*D



Frogs started appearing in the garden pond last week although there were a lot fewer than usual. I suspect the common newts are eating a lot of tadpoles each year. Frogspawn appeared on the 11th but sadly only a small clump this year.





Last year we had a eucalpytus tree that was getting out of control cut down to about 7 feet and the tree surgeon left a few logs which we placed around the garden. A few weeks ago I spotted Turkey Tail fungi on one of them. A new species for the garden.






Bumble Bees are starting to appear and a pair of Blue Tits have been in and out of the nestbox which has a camera. We haven't seen the pair of Ring Necked Parakeets for a while so I was thrilled last week when 5 alighted briefly on Silver Birch trees at the end of the garden.





Knitting

At the end of last year I started to make an owl tea cosy for a teapot we are taking to the caravan. Over the last few weeks I have made a real effort to finish it.







I hope everyone stays safe and well.


*D Photo taken by my son with the Canon SX50 bridge camera

Fest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

14 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Do you have anywhere you can walk without encountering people? I hope the highways and byways, and coastal walks will not be off limits to me. I am minimising my going out too. I think many are self isolating if they can. Thank goodness for Kindle as it removes the need for going out for books! How wonderful to have a stunning jay in the garden, but sorry to hear the frog numbers are down.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. Nowhere I fancy walking anywhere locally but a short drive away is the countryside and lanes and public footpaths. Worrying about the frogs as the common newt population seems to increase every year!

Rosie said...

We've been home all weekend but will have to pop out tomorrow for a few essentials like milk, yoghurts, fruit and veg; hoping that the weekend shoopers have left us something. We may try and find somewhere quiet for a little walk too. The frog population in our pond has gone down as the newt population has gone up. There is only one frog in there at the moment and today it was nearly none as for some reason it decided to walk out of the pond as one of the local cats was sitting there, Paul managed to get out of the conservatory and up the garden to stop it being carried off and put it back in the pond! Confused frog and unhappy cat but at least it is safe for now. Glad you are liking Stephen Booth's novels, Cooper and Fry are one of my favourite detective duos. The last Fens book was really good too, like you I read it quite quicky. Take care:)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Forgot to say, I love your tea cosy! I hope you enjoy using it soon.

Rohrerbot said...

I'm moving to Britain. It seems safer there than it is here. I don't think people realize how much travel and mixing up we do on this planet. Well that was until this disease. It's a bit crazy. And having an orange clown leader is not helping. It's spreading like crazy everywhere in the US. So it's quiet lanes and limited contact with humans. More contact with wildlife.

I love the jay. They are so elusive! Tricky birds but beautiful! Stay safe. If I was over there, we'd have a bake off. Only desserts made by hands. I do like having all this time though. It's great. Work in the garden, go for nature walks.....I mean it's great! Take care.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. I have to do a food shop tomorrow as well :( Interesting that your frog population too has gone down as newts have gone up! Well done to Paul for saving the frog! I am really enjoying the Cooper and Fry novels too - so thanks for inspiring me to try this author! Take care too. Worrying times!

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Unfortunately there has been a delay on the caravan as waterlogging delayed moving it to a new location and then an electrical unit was faulty and they have had to order a new one. Then they have to get an electrician in to connect and then a gas engineer to check boiler :(

Rohrerbot - Thanks Chris. To be honest I think it is scary everywhere at the moment! As you say quiet lanes and as little contact with others as possible.

I do love jays too. Yes a bake off with desserts would be great fun. You take care too Chris and stay safe :)

Pam said...

Worrying times indeed, everything is so up in the air with how this is going to progress :/

Thank goodness for books and nature filled gardens though!

Caroline Gill said...

Lovely to see your frogs, RR, even if fewer than normal. What a lot of reading you have achieved! I am getting more and more 'in' to the Gilbert White book... and still have some way to go. Your owl tea cosy will be brilliant for the caravan. I find it's so good to be able to move from one kind of activity to another. I have been working away on the family tree... getting lured further and further down distant paths, away from the main lines which are proving difficult at the moment. Who knows if these 'ancestors on the edge' will somehow, through marriage or baptism witnesses etc., bring me back to my starting place!

CherryPie said...

I love the photos of your garden.

I too am worried about the current situation. For now I think I am still OK to walk on my local pathways. If I choose my time carefully I hardly see anyone.

My mum and in laws however fit into the over 70 category.

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks and yes it is all very worrying. You can enjoy books and wildlife in gardens though as you say :)

Caroline Gill - Thank you. Pleased to hear you are enjoying the Gilbert White book. I tend to go from one thing to another atm - half an hour of this and then half an hour of that! Not sleeping well either. Good Luck with the family tree :) Not got much further with mine!

CherryPie - Thank you. Yes walking away from people seemms best. Such difficult times. Hope your mother and in laws remain safe.

Caroline Gill said...

Oh, RR, we all have so much on our minds. I found my 10 mins in the sunshine was so enjoyable and relaxing yesterday. But back to cool cloud today... Typical March, I guess! I wonder if you have ever been to Selborne? Sounds such an interesting place to go...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything at the moment to be honest. It rained most of yesterday here but if it stops dry will spend 10 minutes out in the garden. No, I haven't been to Selborne but would love to go one day.

Anonymous said...

Your fungus is rather spectacular isn't it?

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks and yes it is! I was so chuffed when OH spotted them.