Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 2 April 2020

Recent Reading and Bits and Pieces



First of all I really do hope you are all staying safe and well during these worrying times.


Recent Reading

I am spending a lot of time reading so another book update!


I have enjoyed all the Kate Atkinson books and this was no exception. I have another new one in my pile of fiction "books to be read". For once I am grateful of those "to be read" piles and also for my kindle which means I can buy books without even leaving the house!



I really enjoyed this newly published Shire book on Fonts which I had pre-ordered. I find Shire publications very useful for a good introduction to a subject.



Another good Maisie Dobbs book - sadly I fear there are now only one or two left in the series to read. I will have to check and see if the author has written any other series.



I am really enjoying the Cooper and Fry series by Stephen Booth - it is hard to put down one of these books once you have started. Thankfully I think it is a long series which should keep me amused for a while.



A fascinating little book - I do enjoy reading about folklore, legends and myths. Unfortunately, the static caravan we bought in Herefordshire was not ready when the site re-opened in March. They had problems moving it to its new location after all the rain we had had for months and then there were a few teething problems. We were due to go down last week just for the day to take some items but the timing was not good as the announcement was made about not being able to leave home for non-essential items and the site was then closed anyway!





Last week I rather stupidly slipped off the front door step twisting my foot and then landing on it as I fell. It is somewhat swollen and bruised so I haven't been able to get in the garden so my son picked me this small posy of garden Spring flowers to cheer me up.





A few days ago I found a bumble bee (buff-tailed I think) comatose on the garage door. So I gave it some sugar water and then put it gently in the little greenhouse which was warm. The vents were opened and it had disappeared a while later so I hope it had fully revived and had flown to some nearby nectar.






The nestcam is still working so we have been watching Blue Tits taking nesting material into the nestbox.





I have been avoiding supermarkets and even the corner shop so we have been making do on store cupboard food and freezer items until we were lucky enough to secure a supermarket online delivery. Once stocked up again on eggs my daughter yesterday made these choc chip biscuit bars from a Mary Berry book. They provided a pudding after the homemade mushroom soup.




Both D and E are at home now - D has always worked mainly from home and his meetings are being held via video conferencing and he does not have to go out now and cover Council Meetings as they have been cancelled. My daughter is on paid leave for 3 weeks.



Hopefully, next week I will be able to get in the garden and take a few photos to share with you.

Take care and stay safe and well everyone.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ 330 bridge camera






8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

So sorry you slipped and hurt yourself. Hoping it heals quickly. I had to smile, I read the word 'fonts' and then puzzled for a moment when I saw the baptismal font. My mind had wondered off to the realms of typeface and fonts for a second or two! Yes, same here, trying to minimise shopping and eat what is on hand, partly to not be wasteful, partly to leave food in shops for those who need it more than I do. We are lucky that several small independent shops can remain open, so far, and offer pay over the phone order/delivery services. Stay safe and well! Treasure is just coming out of his hibearnation and waves to Timothy.

Rohrerbot said...

You are a reader:) I think you'll be okay indoors. BUT hey! No slipping off the step! I am moved by your saving of the bee. I've been feeding mine around my garden. They are loving my oranges. Here's my deal with them. I feed them and they form their nests off of our property:) It seems to be working out well. So far:) Please let your ankle heal. Thinking of you. Be safe!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you so much. I really was stupid - I did it once before years ago but from the backdoor step! It seems worse this time. But slowly healing - tried soaking it in cold water today! You are fortunate to have some small independent shops that will deliver.Timothy waves to Treasure :) I think I may take some photos of him around the garden as I didn't take him on the last outing. Stay safe and well.

Rohrerbot - Thanks Chris. My books will help keep me sane I think!! Pleased to hear you are feeding your bees :) Rested more today to try and help the healing. Stay safe and well.

Rosie said...

Lovely post, except for the slip off the step resulting in the swollen and bruised foot of course, I hope all will be well and that the injury disappears soon. Glad the bee survived,I hope it will be okay. The posy is very pretty and the bars look delicious. There are still a lot of Cooper and Fry novels to go, I wonder if Jacqueline Winspear has written any books other than the Maise Dobbs series? I love Shire books and have quie a collection of them. I once met the man who founded the company, John Rotheroe, as he was a friend of the curator of the museum I worked for. The books always sold well in the Museum shop. I had to smile as I too saw the word fonts and went off at a tangent thinking about printing possibly because I'd recently read 'Mudlarking' by Lara Maiklem which devotes several pages to the Doves font printing blocks lost in the Thames. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - thanks so much. I was very careless and with the current situation I was not going to doctors to have it checked out! It is I think slowly getting better. I've just checked Amazon I think there may be one other non Maisie Dobb and one on memoirs of JW's childhood. The Shire books are good they do lots of titles on so many interesting unusual topics. That must have been interesting meeting the man who founded the company :) I notice some books now have a page at the back about the fonts (typing) they use. I would love "Mudlarking" - she is on twitter and it is lovely to see her findings :) Take care too.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Sorry to hear about your slip and hope you recover well and soon. Staying in isolation with many books to read should be a breeze for you. Stay Safe and have a lovely weekend.

Pam said...

If there's any good time to hurt your ankle I suppose it's now.....Seriously though I hope you're not in too much pain and it heals well :) Books are a must at the moment aren't they and it's definitely a bonus having the kindle. A good Bee rescue, i've had so many around the garden over the past week or so, some very large ones too!

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding For Pleasure - Thanks Margaret. I am so grateful for my books right now and my garden :) Stay safe and well too and have a good weekend.

Pam - Thank you - yes you are right. It is slowly getting better and I am trying to keep off it as much as I can! The kindle is very useful! although have to charge batteries nearly every day!! It is good to see insects like bees carrying on as normal :) Stay safe and well.