Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 29 April 2020

Trying to keep busy!




Recent Reading

I treated myself to The Wren a few months ago when life was normal and I was able to go to a bookshop! It was reduced probably because the paperback had just come out? I loved this book - lots of fascinating facts about the wren and charming illustrations. I think the author has written a book on The Robin which I will look out for.




It took me a while to get into the first book (The Windermere Witness) as the format is different from many other detective books but I did enjoy it and, of course, it is set in the Lake District an area I love. As you can see I bought an omnibus edition of the first 3 books in the series.




I bought this magazine a few months ago on an impulse in W H Smith. I have a lot of books on The Tudors but sometimes a magazine format with lots of illustrations makes more relaxing reading and I am reading a few pages a day.





In the Garden

I managed to get slightly better photos of the Large Red Damselfly which we were seeing daily in the garden. For once it posed nicely for the camera :)





I'm thrilled that half dozen Lady's Smock plants have re-appeared in the bog garden. Sorry not the best of photos - I couldn't get close enough without falling in the pond!



Hawthorn is coming into flower.



We picked a few garden flowers - some to press and some to put in little jugs.




Clematis is flowering on the patio






and the orange Azalea is now in bloom.





We haven't seen Hedgehogs in the garden for years but I have found what looks very much like a hedgehog dropping deposited by the wildflower area. Thanks to Pam and Amanda for confirming id. I have been out in the garden at dusk but haven't yet seen an actual hedgehog but, of course, it could visit at any time during the night so I will keep looking.



Vegetable seedlings in the small greenhouse




We think the Blue Tit has started to lay eggs - it is hard to see as she covers the eggs with nesting material during the day as Blue Tits don't normally start incubating until the clutch is complete or nearly complete.

We thought the female Blackbird's nest in the laurel had been predated as she was making a real song and dance early one morning. But as she is still going in and out of the laurel bush we are hopeful the eggs are still there.


Baking

The flour is diminishing rapidly and it seems impossible to buy any anywhere but E did make this lemon curd and cream sponge one day.





I made some flapjacks another day as no flour required!



To use up some stale bread Timothy helped make Bread Pudding - again no flour required :)






This and That

D is still sorting out his coin collection. More replica sets.




He did find a hammered silver coin from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I dated 1537 and I will try and get a photo for the next post as this coin is original although not in the best of conditions!



I've continued with the little "journal" of garden wildlife. My drawing does not improve sadly and some of the proportions are wrong (note size of leaf of Red Campion compared to flower!!) but I am getting a lot of pleasure from it and as mentioned before I am noticing far more detail in flowers and leaves than I would normally.











I hope everyone is staying safe and well. Take care.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


17 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Well, you are keeping busy! That lemon curd sponge looks so tempting, and so does the Bread Pudding! Lucky Timothy. I haven't had any in years, and now have a hankering. Flour is in short supply, isn't it? Also, eggs and sugar. My Ladies Smock has not returned, but my lawn is dry after a very dry and warm April

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. Just trying to keep my mind occupied and not dwell on unpleasant things! I use Delia Smith's bread pudding recipe and doubled up on ingredients. Hadn't an orange so added some marmalade. Ok here for eggs and sugar I have a supply in so haven't yet tried to order more. I think the only way to get flour is to go to supermarket and if you are very lucky they may have just put some out. Perhaps your Lady's Smock will return next year - I do hope so. Ours look quite weedy and weak!

Anonymous said...

I have the Wren and the Robin books, they are always on my bay window-sill so that I can pick one up and read a little when waiting for birds to come to the feeders.

I like you journal and its paintings. No need to worry about proportions, you are probably the only person who will see it. As you said, it helps you to notice things whilst out and about.

Your seedlings are looking good, I hope they are productive for you.

How lucky to have a hedgehog in the vicinity, I do hope you manage to see it/them.

I haven't had any trouble getting flour or eggs from Ocado, as yet so keep your fingers crossed for me. Yeast is the big problem here, but, I have now managed to produce a sourdough starter so that will be pressed into service next week. We shall see how that goes since it takes a lot longer to produce a loaf that way.

Your flowers are looking lovely, enjoy them!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much. A lovely idea to keep the wren and robin books to hand. I really enjoyed the one on wrens.

I find the journal and drawing quite absorbing :)

Just off to look for the hedgehog now!!

You are so lucky to be able to get flour! Eggs here ok though. Tried to get an Ocado order but I think they are only delivering to existing customers. Luckily we had two packs of yeast already in. We've been talking about sour dough starters here by coincidence!! So well done on starting one. You must let me know how it turns out :)

Pam said...

I have a couple of Stephen Moss books but not The Wren or Robin! Lovely photos of the Damselfly, it's good it's decided to stay around. Still keeping my fingers crossed you manage to spot a Hedgehog :) I have a journal of sorts, it's just a pretty basic note book of what's going on with the garden birds etc, my extent of drawing is a very basic plan of the garden and surrounding area!!!

Rosie said...

Lots of things to keep you busy. All the baking looks very tasty, flour is running out here, I have half a bag of self raising and a bag of plain but no baking powder. Bread flour is impossible to get so we are eking out what we have and buying bread from the local Co-op every so often too. Your journal is lovely and I like your little sketches and drawings, Great to have evidence of hedgehogs again and your clematis is wonderful, such a pretty colour. The Wren looks an interesting book, we think Wrens may be nesting under the shed roof as a nest has appeared not far from the Robin's nest in the twist of tarpaulin:)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. I still have a couple of his books to read - thank heavens for the huge "to be read" pile!! Mrs Moreau's Warbler and one which I think follows nature for a year (can't remember the title!). Thanks re: the hedgehog - still no sign but it could appear anytime of the night. Also top half of garden is not viewable from the house! I do keep a nature diary each year - a list of sightings, weather, etc. etc. but no drawings!! As you can see my drawing is exceedingly basic so it is just going in that little journal. Due to rain haven't done any for a few days.

Rosie - Thank you. I have to keep my mind occupied to curb anxiety and worry!! Lack of flour is somewhat of a pain. Have checked mills, everywhere and no luck! We make one loaf a week ourselves and eke out the two we buy. You can't get taken'bake anymore either :( No bread flour here either. I have about the same plain and sr as you and need to keep some plain back for making sauces. I do have baking powder as I bought a new one just before all this started but not much good without flour! I keep looking for recipes like flapjacks and bread pudding that don't need flour but there again it depends how much bread we have left! Thank you re: the kind words re: the journal etc - it is absorbing which is needed! Good news about your wren nest :) Sometimes here we have them nest in ivy on the patio and for two years running they nested in an old hanging basket!

Bovey Belle said...

I have been buying 5 Kg bags of sugar (with wine making and jam making in mind) with each shop. Flour -I will need culinary in the next couple of weeks, so will try and get some from Wessex Mill. They open for a short while each afternoon to take orders. I am kicking myself that I didn't order it when I got my bread flour from them. Eggs I get from my smallholding friend and neighbour.

We have a Robin nesting in Keith's workshop (on a shelf amongst his tins of wood stains!) She is a brave little bird and stands her ground if you have to go into the workshop for something.

I have a big read me pile too, and just treated myself to The Zig Zag Girl - the first of the Brighton novels by Elly Griffiths. Very good.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I did try Wessex Mill after you had mentioned before but they seemed completely closed to orders. I will try again this afternoon. Eggs seem ok here at the moment.

Lovely news about your nesting robin :)

I loved the Brighton novels - you have a treat in store. I have just finished the most recent in the series. I do like Elly Griffiths' books.

Sarah Head said...

Have you tried Shipton Mill in Tetbury? You have to leave the computer on the website most of the day. I managed to get a delivery slot at 11pm and was able to order bread flour for my father in the Cotswolds. This was a week last Friday and they delivered it at 9am on Wednesday morning. I ordered 16kg for my father and uncle and they were able to send a 1kg to a 90 year old lady in the village who also makes her own bread. (My father is 91 and my uncle 86 and still farming full time!)

Punk Birder said...

Nice one regards the Large Red Damsely, Caroline. I saw my first one of the year, this week.
After i've done my next blog post (later today) i'm going back to posting daily.

Ragged Robin said...

Sarah Head - Thank you and I don't think I have tried Shipton Mill - will do what you suggest and open up website and keep checking. So pleased you managed to order some for your father and uncle. How wonderful to be still farming at 86 :)

Punk Birder - Thanks so much Dean. Good news that you will be posting daily :)

Caroline Gill said...

Another fascinating post as usual, RR - thank you. You certainly are keeping busy on all manner of fronts! I wonder if you have read 'Mrs Moreau's Warbler' by Stephen Moss about bird names? I have yet to read the wren and robin books, but, I suppose in the wake of 'The Lost Words', I am fascinated by names! The cake looks sumptuous, and lovely to see Timothy peeping out. I have still to see my first damsel of the season, and I keep hoping for more butterflies in the garden... Your journal is coming on apace. We had our first Herb Robert flower two days ago, and there seem to be a good many buds.

Caroline Gill said...

How strange... I see 'Mrs Moreau's Warbler' features further up in your comment list... sorry for falling behind!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. I shall be reading Mrs Moreau's Warbler quite soon - my comment on the book above would be easily misssed :). I loved "The Lost Words" too. Butterflies a bit thin on the ground here now it has gone cooler - just Speckled Woods. I love Herb Robert such pretty little flowers.

Caroline Gill said...

Do let us know, RR, how you find Mrs Moreau's Warbler in due course... Another bird book I've had recommended by a fellow-blogger (by an author pretty local to me as it happens) is 'Birdscapes: Birds in Our Imagination and Experience' by Jeremy Mynott. I haven't ordered it yet, but hope to do so soon.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much and I will let you know about Mrs Moreau's Warbler - I may well read it next :) Thanks for the info on the Jeremy Mynott book - I will certainly check it out :)