Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 3 April 2014

Garden Moths

There's been a lot of overnight rain recently so I've only put out the moth trap on one occasion since my last post on Garden Moths

Saturday 29th March - GMS Week 5

Minimum Temperature 4.8 degrees centigrade

15w Actinic Skinner Trap


Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi) x 8

Emmelina monodactyla x 4

Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta) x 1

Pine Beauty (Panolis flammea) x 1 NFG NFY

Double-striped Pug (Gymnoscelis rufifasciata) x 1 NFY


I was really pleased to trap Pine Beauty - a beautifully marked moth and new for the garden




Double-striped Pug - pugs are not only hard to id but also hard to photo as they never keep still!!




I spotted another new species for the year on the garage window on Monday, 31st March - a Many-plumed Moth (Alucita hexadactla). No photo this time as it flew off the minute I opened the garage door:(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done with the Pine Beauty, Caroline. A moth that is justified by its name.

Wendy said...

I love the markings on the Pine Beauty!

Ragged Robin said...

Dean Stables Many thanks :) I was really rather pleased and yes it does live up to its name as you say :)

Wendy Thank You:) It really is a lovely moth :)

Anonymous said...

pine beauty and many plumed- fantastic! Never had either of those... :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thank you :) It was my first Pine Beauty and worth the wait :) Many-plumed are common so you should get one soon :)

SeagullSuzie said...

The Pine Beauty is fab, I knew I had not heard that name before.

Ragged Robin said...

SeagullSuzie - Thanks :) One thing I love about mothing is that you never know what you are going to find and I'm still getting new species even after 4 years :)