Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 21 January 2024

The "Octopus" Tree and the "Constable" Tree

 


As promised a few photos from last year of the "Octopus" Tree and the "Constable" Tree  in Herefordshire. The former is located on the site not far from the caravan whereas the Constable Tree and the Herefordshire Oak (seen in the last post) are in fields nearby but viewable from the caravan.

Octopus Tree

I first decided to take photos of this Ash tree in April and its shape really reminded me of an octopus hence its name!



26th April 2024



As the leaves appeared I have to admit it looked far less like an octopus!

20th May



3rd June



7th July


20th July


7th August



Mid September



Late October


End November/Beginning of December



It finally looks more like an octopus (well at least to me!) again.


Late December




The Constable Tree

It wasn't until May that I first started to take photos of this lovely tree. I called it the Constable Tree because the landscape around it reminded me of a scene in a Constable painting.  I am not sure of the species as its some way away but if anyone has any suggestions on what species it might be please leave a comment.

20th May



15th  June



23rd June



7th July



20th July



 August


28th August



Mid September



Late October


Late November/Beginning of December

The leaves on all the trees seemed to disappear within the space of the month of October when I don't think we visited for a while but we had had several gales.


Late December




Paintings

As promised photos of the paintings B has bought me from an art gallery in Leominster.

This is the one I picked for my Christmas present last year as I love hares and something about the scene reminded me of the caravan site.  I am not sure yet whether to hang it  at  home or  take it to the caravan.


I've posted a photo of this painting before as some of you may remember.  I chose this for my 70th birthday present from B from the same gallery as it reminds me so much of a view from a country lane. The painting is by an artist called Cassandra Clarke who opened "Art 24" having relocated from Stourport. I did hope to buy another Cassandra Clarke painting last Christmas but there didn't seem to be many on sale this time.




Last December I also spotted some paintings of Herefordshire countryside scenes which I nearly chose instead of the hare.  So perhaps that is my Christmas and Birthday presents sorted for much later this year! If the paintings are still there of course!


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one or one of my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks so much).


9 comments:

hart said...

It's wonderful to see these trees though the seasons.

The Quacks of Life said...

fascinating how trees change through the year!!

Ragged Robin said...

Hart - Thanks so much and I am really glad you enjoyed the trees through the seasons :)

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much. I am glad I took photos of them Pete because you never remember clearly how they change so its nice to have a record :)

Rosie said...

The trees are fascinating and so different as they change through the seasons. I love your Hare painting, it's wonderful and I like the country lane one too, both lovely presents to receive:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I love looking at the trees there and having a photographic record means I can remember how they looked in each month and how they change.
Glad you like the painting. B was stuck with the present idea and suggested one and they have given me a lot of pleasure.

CherryPie said...

Both trees are beautiful but I particularly like the octopus tree, it changes so much over the seasons.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. Trees are so beautiful and its wonderful to watch them change through the seasons.

Millymollymandy said...

It is amazing how the trees still look quite green even at the end of October, then suddenly a month later and all the leaves are gone! I haven't a clue what kind of tree the Constable tree is but it is very beautiful and I love the setting, especially with the cows.

Love those paintings and the frames are really nice too, they do the pictures justice.

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much. Its a shame really because you can miss the autumn tints if they stay green then very quickly shed leaves. The setting of the Constable Tree is rather lovely I agree.
Thanks re: the paintings.