Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 27 January 2024

Hobs Moat - an Ancient Scheduled Monument

 

Surrounded by housing estates, busy roads and a shopping centre in Solihull is located a small patch of woodland which is a local nature reserve and also an Ancient Scheduled Monument known as Hobs Moat.  On the site are the remains of medieval earthworks where once a large manor stood.

I paid a visit with D on one cold January day as he wanted to write a blog post on Hobs Moat for a blog he writes occasionally on the Historic Buildings of Solihull.

I only plan to post a few photos as D has written a far more informative and researched post than I could.  If you are interested and want to learn more about the site here is the link to his blog post  Hobs Moat








Surrounded by woodland you come across what remains of the manor ie the earthworks surrounded by a moat.  
















It was certainly an interesting site to visit - a little bit spooky if I am honest as there was no-one there but us! It might be worth a visit later in the year when the spring flowers arrive especially the bluebells.

I am hoping to take part in the RSPB Garden Birdwatch this weekend and I am sure many of you will be doing the same so I look forward to seeing your posts and reading about what you have seen.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)


7 comments:

CherryPie said...

I have to agree it does seem a rather spooky place to visit!

Rosie said...

It looks an interesting place and very mysterious too. I can see why you would find it spooky to be there especially as it was so quiet. I hope you go back to see the bluebells,it will possibly feel different. I will visit your son's blog and read more. We did the bird count yesterday morning,just after the feeders had been topped up as there seemed to be a lot of birds around. I'll write a post either later today or tomorrow:)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.

Rosie - Thanks. It is interesting and I agree a bit mysterious. Driven past it so many times yet neither of us have ever walked there before. I hope you enjoy my son's blog post - lots of info on the history etc of the site. I haven't done the bird count yet as we went a walk yesterday hopefully today. Look forward to reading your results :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

These remnant areas are fascinating. Long separated from their former use of wider landscape they remain defiant in the modern world. I wonder what the original inhabitants would think if they were to return and witness urbanisation. Or...maybe they're there still and just not visible......

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - thanks so much. I too often wonder what the original inhabitants would think if they returned especially when the site is now in a town. You can certainly sense an atmosphare or presence at some of these locations - some more than others. Two places where I have felt this are at Wigmore Castle in Herefordshire and Wall Roman town but there have been others.

Millymollymandy said...

Sounds like an interesting place. I read D's post which was well researched and written. Shame there is so little that remains, though I am glad they have managed to preserve the remains and presumably keep the BMXers out now!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much and glad you enjoyed David's post. No sign of BMXers thank goodness! It was quite an atmospheric place - reminded me of some sites visited in Herefordshire although they weren't surrounded by houses and shops!