Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 13 January 2024

The Herefordshire Oak in 2023

 

A selection of photos from Herefordshire showing my favourite oak tree throughout most of the year.  The site is closed in January and February so sadly its unlikely I will get photos for those months and this year the weather was so horrid in March we didn't make our first visit until the beginning of April.


Beginning of April



April 20th



Beginning of May



There was then quite a change in the next few weeks as the leaves emerged.

20th May






3rd June



19th June




7th July



August





September



By late October there was perhaps a hint of change of colour in the leaves.

Late October





15th November


Late November 



Late November Beginning of December

when it was very cold with hoar frosts - the leaves presumably because of winds and the cold weather had more or less all fallen.



End of December



I will do a post on the Constable and Octopus Trees later in the month although I only started to photograph them (especially the Constable Tree) later in the year.  Hopefully, this year I will have a fuller set.  I haven't forgotten the photo of my Christmas present painting but need to get a better picture when the light isn't so poor.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

(All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


7 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I have an oak tree growing in a pot at the moment and I should plant it in our garden

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thank you and yes do plant it and it will be interesting to see it grow :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I do so look forward to this annual record. I think this is year three? have you done a monthly comparison, looking at all the photos for each month? by that I mean comparing for example, all the Octobers with each other, and so on? It would be interesting, don't you think?

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much Debbie. Very grateful to you as I think you suggested it initially. Yes I think its year 3 and no I haven't compared years and that is another very good idea. Will do that. I may even do another blog post if there is a difference from year to year!!!! I just wish there wasn't a phone?wire appearing in each picture but I can't cut it out!! Unless I got David to photoshop if he still has the programme!

CherryPie said...

A lovely series of photos. It is nice to see the tree in different seasons.

Rosie said...

It's such a lovely tree and all the changes through the seasons are fascinating. It looks it's best in early Summer and late Autumn. I hope the weather is better this Spring so you can return in March rather than April:)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much - glad you liked the photos.

Rosie - Thank you so much. I agree early summer and autumn are when it looks at its best. I think we have already decided to go in March whatever the weather - unless it is really cold and we have to worry about frozen pipes again!!!