Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 29 August 2023

St John the Baptist, Honiley, Warwickshire

 

I bribed D recently with the promise of a farm shop visit if he'd come to a Warwickshire church with me.

I've wanted to visit St John the Baptist at Honiley for quite some time.  It was built in 1723 by John Saunders of Honiley Hall. So the 300th anniversary is being celebrated at the church this year.

The church is built of local pale sandstone and there is evidence of the site being used as a place of worship for centuries.

It is dedicated to St John the Baptist due to the presence of an ancient holy well called St John's located in a nearby field. (I couldn't find a way to access the field unfortunately but I understand not much remains of the well but a trickle of water and possibly a few bricks).  Local legend suggests the site was a place of pilgrimage where early converts to Christianity were baptised and the water of the well was said to have healing powers.




The gate piers at the entrance bear the arms of John Saunders.








The West Tower is Baroque and is topped by an octagonal spire with a ball and weather vane.  Elements of the church reminded me very much of Birmingham Cathedral.












It is not known for certain who designed and built the church but there are various contenders:

  • Sir Christopher Wren or his son due to their ownership of the nearby Wroxall estate from 1713. A local story tells of Sir Christopher drawing a plan for the church on the table cloth when he dined at John Saunders!
  • Smiths of Warwick
  • Thomas Eayre of Kettering, designer of the classical church at Stoke Doyle, Northants 1722-25 who cast the Honiley bells in 1731.






To my surprise D announced that the church was actually open adding the ominous words it does not appear to be your type of church. (I am not that keen on Georgian churches - give me a Medieval church any day). But when I peeked through the door I had a slight "Wow!" moment when I saw the stained glass in the apse.

Font from 1723



Looking toward the east end of the church with boxed pews and THAT stained glass.



The West Gallery is supported by Corinthinian columns.



Memorial to a descendant of John Saunders and below a memorial to Herbert and Lily Wade who lived at Honiley Hall in the 20th Century.






Oak pulpit from 1723




Apse








The beautiful stained glass is by Theodora Salusbury and the windows were installed in 1924 and 1926.

The main window which depicts the Virgin and Child was commissioned by Lily Wade of the newly built Honiley Hall in memory of her late husband Herbert.







Here you can see the peacock - the signature of Theodora Salusbury.




The remaining two windows depicting "Angels in Adoration" were commissioned in 1926 by the two sons - Charles and Dennis.

















Carvings on the pews - the first one depicts an elephant head the insignia of John Saunders.





This basin in the porch may once have been used as a font.



Graffitti in the porch - I always find it fascinating to read when I spot it.














The current Honiley Hall in the distance.






















The original Honiley Hall built by John Saunders has been demolished but two service wings remain. On the north side of the church are the Malthouse and North Lodge and on the south side (2nd photo) the South Lodge and Parson's Lodge. The church really is in a lovely setting.





The pub in Honiley known for years and years as the Boot has changed names!  I've searched for a ghost story about  phantom coachmen and Honiley but the only mention I can find is one set in Coventry which is not that close!



Some years ago I found another window by Theodora Salusbury in Knowle Parish church.








Theodora Salusbury (1875-1956) was born in Leicester and was an artist and craftswoman in the Arts and Crafts style.  After training she worked from her studios in Cornwall as a stained glass artist.  She designed windows for about 30 churches mainly in the years between World War One and Two.  Her signature was a peacock.


It was a lovely afternoon out and we stopped off at the farmshop in Balsall Common on the way home. 

We are continuing to have massive problems with the rebuilding work next door - the situation is just getting worse and worse. We have discovered that his neighbours the other side are having even more problems than us!  I would love to share with you but for the moment as this blog is not private it probably wouldn't be wise!!!


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)

Reference: Church Guide Book

Pevsner "Buildings of England Warwickshire" Nikolaus Pevsner and Chris Pickford - Yale University Press 2016



12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Some beautiful stained glass, especially that peacock.
I often wonder when I see old graffiti like you have shown there what the prevailing attitude was towards it. Was it a socially unacceptable habit back then. Did they have a Banksy?
How strange they changed the name of the pub. It rather makes me think of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Ichabod Crane.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin
Thanks so much.

It does make you wonder. I do have a book on medieval graffitti by a Matthew Champion which is fascinating but obviously doesn't cover 18th century onwards. lol re Banksy. Some churches in East Anglia have some super medieval ship graffitti etc.
I suspect they thought the name is more likely to bring in customers than the Boot!! But for the locals and for me people who have been occasionally it will remain The Boot!!!!

The Wessex Reiver said...

What an extraordinary church - I'm not surprised it is Grade 1 listed. Sorry Caroline, I love Georgian architecture and this is wonderful. I did a little reading around it, as it feels like a private chapel rather than a congregational church but I can't find it is anything other than the latter. With regards the graffiti that 174 intrigued me - in my mind I have the story of the perpetrator having just finished etching out the number 4 was about to carve.... 1, 2, 3? Before being discovered and chased away - But now we'll never know.

Rosie said...

I quite like a Georgian church. The stained glass is glorious, now wonder you had a 'wow' moment. I like the upper gallery, I wonder if it was used for the church musicians? The graffitti is fascinating too. So sorry you still have problems from all the work next door, seems you are not alone. I hope all will be well soon, glad you had some treats from the farm shop:)

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew and I am so glad you liked the church. It was in a very lovely setting surrounded by lawns and the lodges with fields beyond. Wonderful about the graffiti - I never spotted that and I can just imagine what you describe happening :) I think the church escaped a Victorian Restoration as such so much is original. So much history in every church you visit.

Rosie - Thanks so much. I must be missing something with Georgian architecture. I think galleries were as you say often used by musicians. Thanks re next door as it was interesting to find the neighours other side were livid with him and he had the nerve to tell them we hadn't objected!!!!!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

CherryPie said...

The church looks amazing.

Ragged Robin said...

Rajani Rehana - Thank you.

CherryPie - Thank you.

The Quacks of Life said...

Ooh thanks that looks interesting... Never been there!

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete - its not that far from Baddesley Clinton

Millymollymandy said...

I love old grafitti too - wonder what people will think of our awful modern graffiti in 50-100 years time? Can't understand how some of that grafitti looks like it is in relief i.e. raised, rather than gouged out like the rest? I don't like that church at all - it looks so bare and dull! I have probably got used to the overly ornate catholic churches and cathedrals in France, Spain and Italy, where there is just so much to look at! I do like the stained glass though, especially the signature peacock. How lovely!

I did look at your previous two posts of churchyards as well. Couldn't think of a lot to say though as I am not much of a church lover as you know! :-)

I'll catch up with your latest posts soon!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much and old graffiti gives such an insight into the past although it raises many questions you can never answer! Yes present day stuff is gross imho!

As mentioned Georgian churches not really my thing although this one was in such a lovely setting. Not overkeen on some Victorian stained glass but some modern stuff and obviously medieval windows are wonderful. There is a sublime modern stained glass artist called Tom Denny and his windows are just unbelievably beautiful!!!

Don't worry Mandy we can't all love churches! As you know my son and especially my OH don't like them at all! I just love the history and atmosphere of them and also churchyards where wildflowers are allowed to flourish :)