Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 5 August 2023

Big Butterfly Count

 

I am sure many of you take part in the Summer Butterfly Conservation's Big Butterfly Count.  I usually try and do 4 or 5 each year in the garden.  I did try once to do one at Packwood but there were that many "white" butterflies about I lost count.

I've done two so far this year and with the weather the way it is I suspect I won't do anymore this summer.

The first was on the 25th July and I saw the following

Large White x 2

Gatekeeper x 1

Speckled Wood x 1

Red Admiral x 1

Comma x 1










The second I did on 29th July and spotted

Red Admiral x 1

Comma x 1

Small White x 2

You might know just after I'd started the sun went behind the clouds!





I might try and do one at the caravan if we visit while the count is still running. Edit Just realised it finishes this weekend so that won't be possible :(


The last few strawberries picked from the garden.



We have a lot of Cat's Ear plants on the first lawn.




We have quite a few scabious in the mini wild flower "meadow" - worryingly though I haven't seen any Knapweed this year or many Wild Carrots and usually we get loads.



Cut and Come Again Lettuce



Potatoes are growing well after being "earthed up".  David has grown the vegetables this year like last year as to be honest B has completely lost interest in the garden due to what is happening next door and the fact that we shall have to move. 




While looking for some sort of box to send D's laptop back for repair I found a storage box under the bed full of Teddies including my Aston Villa bear!




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)


10 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Well done, Caroline on your butterfly counts. do you think they are up or down on previous years? One thing I find when I take part in the RSPB bird count every year is. as soon as I sit down, the birds that have been in the garden are plenty suddenly disappear. It They know. it's so tempting to Fudge the figures on what you knew you had their 10 minutes before you sat down.
I do hope Timothy isn't jealous. You know of what I speak. dear, dear. We had enough trouble with Brother Benedict.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much Debbie. Possibly a bit down this year? I found that too with RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch :) In fact I think many people do :)

I kept Timothy well away! AV bear now back in box. Poor Benedict is still languishing on the bookcases looking very forlorn!

Rosie said...

I haven't done the count this year. You had two good counts. In the garden we have quite a few white butterflies and when out walking locally we see lots of little brown ones but they don't stay still long enjough to be able to count them or identify them. Your garden produce looks good and lots of pretty flowers in your meadow. When we visited friends last week their garden lawn meadow was full of Wild carrot and little orange and brown butterflies. Things do seem a bit odd this year with both plants and wildlife as well as the weather. Aston Villa bear looks ready for the new football season. I'm so sorry about the house problems and that you are having to think about moving it must be so unsettling. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. To be honest this year I had to force myself to do it as I am not keen on spending much time on main lawn as builders are always popping up in loft extension, roof or wherever. White butterflies are difficult to id in flight and some of those brown ones. It does seem a very strange years in many ways. Only a week to go until new season :) Thanks for kind wishes re building problems etc. Take care too Rosie.

CherryPie said...

I wonder what those hidden Teds up to without you knowing ;-)

Ragged Robin said...

Cherrypie - Thank you and lol!!!

Caroline Gill said...

A lovely post, RR. And I'm particularly pleased to be reminded of the name Cat's-Ear as I'm guessing this is the lovely short-stemmed flower that has spread in profusion on our front lawn. The bees love it. I hope Timothy will enjoy getting to know the Aston Villa bear and his friends. I have been counting away all 'summer' at the BC Garden Butterfly Survey. David has been doing a more general count ... submitting all records to BC. After a dreadful start, some species are picking up now that the Buddleias are in flower. But Small Torties remain scarce ... and I have only seen one Painted Lady to date.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill -Thanks Caroline. I've started doing the BC Garden Butterfly Survey again too now its gone back to how it was. I think they started to use i-record or some such set up for it and I never really "got on with that". We had more butterflies too in the garden when the Buddleias started to flower but I haven't seen a Small Tortoiseshell or Painted Lady anywhere this year :(

Millymollymandy said...

Considering your weather your butterfly counts weren't bad at all. Are you going to be taking Aston Villa teddy out and about as well? ;-)

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks Mandy. Gosh no - he is far too big - he's gone back in the storage box!!!!