Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 2 July 2022

Brief Visit to Herefordshire - Part 3: Burford House Garden Centre

 

After looking round St Mary's, we visited the nearby Burford House Garden Centre which is just down the lane.

It was larger than expected and a lot to see outdoors. They had some lovely plants and garden items but, like many other garden centres, plants are expensive.

















Love these bee pots but not the price!





















I definitely wouldn't want one of these in my garden!




B and I both liked this bird bath.





Some  flowers for Rustic Pumpkin - sunflowers?  Couldn't see any poppy seedheads though.






I just love this fairy.










The compost was expensive but luckily on the way back we spotted an agricultural supplier in Tenbury Wells where B managed to buy some.

As we were leaving the garden centre I spotted another car park by Burford House and people walking down the side of the house. This all started to ring a bell with me and I remembered reading years ago that there were gardens at the house. On our return I googled and there are 7 acres of gardens to explore behind the house and unbelievably entry was free.  We went back the next day and that will be my last post on this trip to Herefordshire.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera (if anyone wishes to use any of my photos I would be very grateful if you could email me first. Thanks).


14 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That reminds be of some of Hilliers near Newbury Expensive

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes Thanks - yes it was dear. There is a little farm shop in Tenbury Wells that sells lovely plants cheaply and we've had bargains from churches too where plants are sold. At home Melbicks garden centre by us is extortionate!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

How I miss visiting a garden centre, and it's not due to the pandemic. Lovely selection of plants, healthy looking too. Wouldn't mind those sunflowers, but you'd need a stately home for that stag and the bison!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and I am sorry you can't visit at the moment. They are lovely places to walk round and this was a really nice one. lol re: stag and bison!!!

Rosie said...

Some plants do seem to be £3 to £5 more expensive this year than last, plants like roses, clematis and etc. I does look a lovely garden centre to wander around and the gardens behind the house sound wonderful and well worth returning to explore. Some of those animal statues would fill our garden, I think you would need quite a large garden for those. I like the birdbath such a nice, simple shape:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Perennials often seem expensive especially. In the days when I went shopping I would buy them for a £1 each from Morrisons! Much cheaper. We liked the bird bath but we did inherit one at caravan and already have one at home plus the pond. I think you will like the gardens - will do a post on them in a few days. I am not sure if the animal statues were for sale or for show?????

Rosie said...

Perhaps you will find some of the animal statues in the gardens when you return for a visit. The statues at Bridgemere are for sale even the small ones are very expensive though. We have an olive tree in the conservatory that I bought from Woolworths for 99p ages ago and we have had other climbers and fruit bushes £1 from Morrisons or Wilco. Those were the days:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much again :) I don't remember seeing any in the gardens but we didn't get chance to see the whole garden as it poured down with rain!!!! Yes we have had bargains in the past from places like Morrisons. OH takes a lot of cuttings and grows things from seed too. If you wanted to do a herbaceous border from scratch and bought the plants from a big garden centre you would spend a fortune!!!! We had a bundle pack of about 50 perennials from one of the online companies years ago which worked out very inexpensive although plants tiny!!!! I used to do winter and summer pots for the patio and spent quite a lot on those although I haven't done them for a few years now.

Midmarsh John said...

Lovely displays at the garden centre. The last few years has seen them all be more creative in their layouts. If I had a large enough estate I would love a couple of the large animal statues, but not at £2000+ with goodness knows how much extra for delivery!

The largest of my local garden centres has so many interconnecting indoor areas I got lost and never did find the wildlife food section - which is what I went to see. It needs a printed plan or hand held GPS feature of some sort!

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much. It was a good place to look round.

Melbicks local to home is like yours with a huge indoor area and as you say it is hard to find things!!!! lol re: the plan :)

Millymollymandy said...

I love those rusty flower stakes too! I want some more to add to my couple of insect ones, but I only see tacky painted or plastic ones. Problem is if I go to a garden fair where you sometimes find this kind of craft, I usually end up buying plants, which I don't actually want to do in this garden!! Looks like a very interestng nursery.

I enjoyed the gardens on the more recent post too. Loved the stone heron!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy Thanks so much. Big garden centre and, apart from prices!, very good. I've seen a lot of rusty stuff at Bringsty Vintage Centre but it is very expensive there. The gardens were impressive we will return!

CherryPie said...

I have often visited this garden centre but have never managed a visit to the church down the lane!

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks and do visit the church if you go again its lovely.